Re: Shutter delay revisited

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olin K. McDaniel, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. On 10 Jul 2003 18:29:59 GMT, Roland Karlsson
    <> wrote:

    >Sandy Sanders <> wrote in
    >
    >> Avoid the 4500 like the plague, and at the same time ask yourself why
    >> Nikon is getting it's tail whipped in the digital market. For
    >> starters, do a search in this NG for threads with Nikon in the subject
    >> line. There are few relative to other makers. There is a reason for
    >> that.

    >I can agree upon that - at least partly - the taste differs.
    >
    >I have looked for buying my first digital camera several times.
    >The choice have been betweeb Canon, Olympus and Nikon. Every
    >time I just removed the Nikon choice. It felt not like a useful
    >camera. I just did not like it.
    >
    >The 950 was a profound camera - the first really good consumer
    >thingie with a radical design. But after that?
    >

    >Roland

    I somehow presumed you were an "old hand" with digital cameras until
    now. We each must determine what we intend to do with our intended
    purchase, and pick the best that fits that job. That's what persuaded
    me to go with the Nikon. Specifically, I had discovered that my
    intended usage of coupling the camera to either a telescope or
    microscope's eyepiece almost dictated the lens not move in and out
    when focusing or zooming. I learned that the hard way! The use of 2
    separate mounts is basically unworkable when trying to get pics of
    moving animals and birds. At that time, I found the Nikon 950, whose
    lens did not move in and out. It was not perfect, everything requires
    accepting some compromises, and I adjusted to that camera. After lots
    of hard use in the field, I knew I'd better get a backup, and by then
    the 995 was out, so I bought that. With the 4500 being of the same
    basic design, it was likely going to be the next - but with the
    shutter delay tripling in length, I refuse to accept that. Will have
    to search further, when the time comes.

    So, good luck on picking one that suits your particular needs.

    Olin

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Jul 11, 2003

  2. (Olin K. McDaniel) wrote in

    > Specifically, I had discovered that my
    > intended usage of coupling the camera to either a telescope or
    > microscope's eyepiece almost dictated the lens not move in and out
    > when focusing or zooming.

    Yepp - the inner focussing is a great bonus. I find it somewhat
    too cumbersome to put on an extension tube before adding any
    accessoirs in the "lens thread" of my G2. The moving lens also
    makes it unclear whether any kind of add ons will actually work.

    What I meant with not liking the Nikon was that I found
    them slow to work with. Illogical and too small control
    and also too slow actions. One choice was between Nikon 5700,
    Olympus 5050 and Canon G2, and I found that I liked them
    in the order G2, 5050 and then last 5700.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 11, 2003