Re: Shooting Macro At 1,000mm With The D3!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:37:07 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    wrote:

    >The bigger question is, Why on earth use 1000mm for that shot in the first
    >place? "Rita" said he "had to back up" to take it. It's evidently taken at a
    >steep downward angle so couldn't have been very far away.It looks like
    >something that could much more easily have been done with a 135mm or 200mm
    >lens.

    If you have one lens on the body, how do you make the bug wait until
    you've changed lenses?

    There are some shots you take with the wrong combination only because
    if you change to the right combination what you want in the image
    isn't there anymore.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 27, 2008

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:41:01 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:37:07 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The bigger question is, Why on earth use 1000mm for that shot in the first
    >>>place? "Rita" said he "had to back up" to take it. It's evidently taken at
    >>>steep downward angle so couldn't have been very far away.It looks like
    >>>something that could much more easily have been done with a 135mm or 200mm
    >>>lens.
    >>>

    >> If you have one lens on the body, how do you make the bug wait until
    >> you've changed lenses?
    >>
    >> There are some shots you take with the wrong combination only because
    >> if you change to the right combination what you want in the image
    >> isn't there anymore.

    >That's straining really, really hard to find some justification for the
    >shot. If the picture is about the bug, then it seems to me it fails totally.
    >You can barely see the bug in the photo.

    Whoa, there. I didn't say it was a good shot. Personally, if that
    was my shot I wouldn't link it to this group. It misses in too many
    ways.

    What I am saying is that, in general, we can't always have the right
    combination at the ready for that scene we see that has some component
    in it that may not still be there if we change combinations. We can
    either snap off the shot with the combination that we do have at the
    ready, or miss the shot entirely.

    If we do see the scene that Rita photographed, and do want a good
    shot, we have to set up correctly and sit and wait for another bug to
    alight. This may or may not happen.

    The photograph that Rita posted is one that I call my "Why not try?"s.
    It's digital, no film is burned and no processing charges will result.
    If it works, great. If it doesn't, delete it.

    I do a lot of those. Rita posts hers. I delete mine.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 28, 2008

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:41:37 -0400, "Rita Berkowitz"
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> The photograph that Rita posted is one that I call my "Why not try?"s.
    >> It's digital, no film is burned and no processing charges will result.
    >> If it works, great. If it doesn't, delete it.
    >>
    >> I do a lot of those. Rita posts hers. I delete mine.

    >But the real question, Tony, is how many do you really save? We haven't
    >seen many from you.

    No, I don't post images here unless I have a question about how to
    improve the image. Most of my images have someone in the family in
    them. The rest are table-tops of various antiques and gold coins.
    Not things I think would be of interest to this group.

    I'm really not into taking pictures of squirrels and birds and dogs.
    If it pleases you, have at it. When I aim the camera, it's usually at
    a rug rat.

    >You should
    >start posting some pics Tony. We don't care if you think they aren't worthy
    >enough for us to see..

    OK, just for you I've added a self-portrait at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony213/2620449044/

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 29, 2008