Re: Shooting Macro At 1,000mm With The D3!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Draco, Jun 26, 2008.

  1. Draco

    Draco Guest

    On Jun 25, 7:41 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    > The close focus ability of the old 500 is simply amazing, even at 15'!  Next
    > time I'll be taking my Kenko tubes out to see how well they do.  Damn!  The
    > old 500 is really a versatile lens.
    >
    > <http://ritaberk.myhosting247.com/blooming_macro.htm>
    >
    > Rita
    > --
    > Stamping out Internet stupidity one idiot at a time.  Never empower the
    > idiot, embrace it and stimulate it.  For more details go to the Usenet
    > Stimulus Project page.
    >
    > http://ritaberk.myhosting247.com

    Very nicely done Rita. I would have added a polarizer to tone down the
    reflections for the sky in the water. But your saturation and
    sharpness is very nice. Placement of the flower to the green tuft of
    leaves at the top on a diaginol allows the eye to wander around and
    back to the flower. The open area to the right top balances the
    underwater branches to the bottom left and the branches to the top
    balances the open water to the bottom right. The spacing along the
    edges gives a more finished look to the entire piece.

    Again, well done. Keep at it.

    Draco

    Draco, Jun 26, 2008

  2. Draco

    Draco Guest

    On Jun 26, 8:31 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    > Draco wrote:
    >(snip)

    > Thanks.  The only problem I have with using a polarizer on the 500 is it
    > gets mounted on the back of the lens and is adjusted with a thumbwheel
    > screw.  This makes it near impossible to use when shooting handheld, which
    > is mostly the way I shoot.  Only way I can use a polarizer is to rest the
    > lens on a tree.
    >(Snip the rest)

    Still it would have made the image a bit stronger. What's wrong? Never
    heard of a Mono-pod? I used one when I was out in Texas and didn't
    feel like dragging the tripod out and back on the plane. I had added a
    medium ball head to it so I could tilt the camera without loosing the
    support of the mono-pod. Worked like a champ. Was able to put a 19mm
    lens on it, adjust the ball head for a down tilt and raised it above
    the crowds to get some over all crowd scenes. Using a cable release I
    was able to fire the camera without looking through the view finder.
    Also used that rig in shooting out over a ledge to get some shots of a
    working water mill.

    Draco

    Draco, Jun 27, 2008

  3. In rec.photo.digital Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > Draco wrote:
    >> On Jun 26, 8:31 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    >>> Draco wrote:
    >>> (snip)

    >>> Thanks. The only problem I have with using a polarizer on the 500 is
    >>> it gets mounted on the back of the lens and is adjusted with a
    >>> thumbwheel screw. This makes it near impossible to use when shooting
    >>> handheld, which is mostly the way I shoot. Only way I can use a
    >>> polarizer is to rest the lens on a tree.
    >>> (Snip the rest)

    >> Still it would have made the image a bit stronger. What's wrong? Never
    >> heard of a Mono-pod? I used one when I was out in Texas and didn't
    >> feel like dragging the tripod out and back on the plane. I had added a
    >> medium ball head to it so I could tilt the camera without loosing the
    >> support of the mono-pod. Worked like a champ. Was able to put a 19mm
    >> lens on it, adjust the ball head for a down tilt and raised it above
    >> the crowds to get some over all crowd scenes. Using a cable release I
    >> was able to fire the camera without looking through the view finder.
    >> Also used that rig in shooting out over a ledge to get some shots of a
    >> working water mill.

    > I'll work on it. I did order polarizer; the damn thing set me back $200.
    > As for the monopod, it's more of a nuisance carrying it around and having to
    > screw with it. Since I'm constantly moving when I'm hiking the routine I
    > use for shooting is very easy and effortless. I got one so I guess I can
    > blow the dust off of it and give it another try.

    You can get trekking poles the top of whose handle unscrews to reveal
    a camera (or head) mounting bolt. Instant monopod for the hiker.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 28, 2008
  4. Chris Malcolm <> wrote:
    >You can get trekking poles the top of whose handle unscrews to reveal
    >a camera (or head) mounting bolt. Instant monopod for the hiker.

    I was looking for those, couldn't find them anywhere. Do you have a
    pointer to a manufacturer or dealer?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 28, 2008
  5. Draco

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:33:01 -0400, "Rita Berkowitz"
    <> wrote:

    >As for the monopod, it's more of a nuisance carrying it around and having to
    >screw with it.

    Goodnight, Gracie.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida