Re: Shock on Internet banking on ANZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Cima, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Cima

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:27:18 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >ANZ have just rehashed their site. I went to do my Internet banking
    >with Opera, as I always do, but kept getting a session expired page.
    >I had updated Opera to the latest, 9.5. So I tried Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >(in 98SE) and got the same. Checking ANZ's recommended software I was
    >shocked that they recommend ancient IE 5.5, Firefox 1, Netscape 7 and
    >Safari (?). Does ANZ take security seriously? One wouldn't think so.
    >
    >In the end I had to do the banking with IE6 (shudder). Had to give it
    >temporary firewall permission.
    >
    >Needless to say I gave them a lecture about secure browsers.

    They can't spell either. A couple of months ago they had some logon issues for a
    few hours and the spiel on the main page spelt "inconvenience" wrong, and also
    that grammatical chestnut "...longer then expected".
    Cima, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Cima

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:14:18 +1200, "Fred" <> wrote:

    >"Cima" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:27:18 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>ANZ have just rehashed their site. I went to do my Internet banking
    >>>with Opera, as I always do, but kept getting a session expired page.
    >>>I had updated Opera to the latest, 9.5. So I tried Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >>>(in 98SE) and got the same. Checking ANZ's recommended software I was
    >>>shocked that they recommend ancient IE 5.5, Firefox 1, Netscape 7 and
    >>>Safari (?). Does ANZ take security seriously? One wouldn't think so.
    >>>
    >>>In the end I had to do the banking with IE6 (shudder). Had to give it
    >>>temporary firewall permission.
    >>>
    >>>Needless to say I gave them a lecture about secure browsers.
    >>>

    >> They can't spell either. A couple of months ago they had some logon issues
    >> for a
    >> few hours and the spiel on the main page spelt "inconvenience" wrong, and
    >> also
    >> that grammatical chestnut "...longer then expected".
    >>

    >Why is that a grammatical chestnut? It's simply a three word phrase with
    >one spelling mistake.

    Young kids have no clue when to use then or than. On any forum with teen members
    you're bound to see something like "this is better then that". It just pisses me
    off, that's all ;-)
    Cima, Jun 25, 2008

  3. Cima

    Joy Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "Cima" <> wrote in message

    >>> They can't spell either. A couple of months ago they had some logon
    >>> issues
    >>> for a
    >>> few hours and the spiel on the main page spelt "inconvenience" wrong,
    >>> and
    >>> also
    >>> that grammatical chestnut "...longer then expected".
    >>>

    >> Why is that a grammatical chestnut? It's simply a three word phrase
    >> with
    >> one spelling mistake.

    > Yeah, and Vista rocks.
    >
    > I stopped using ANZ internet banking when I read their conditions which
    > are
    > currently:
    >
    >> Information you provide to the Bank will be kept strictly confidential
    >> and will be securely held by the Bank. You have a right to access the
    >> information by inquiring at any branch of the Bank and you may also
    >> request that it be corrected. A fee may be payable.
    >>
    >> The Bank may use this information to:
    >>
    >> * consider your application for facilities, products or services;
    >> * administer, manage and monitor any facilities, products or services
    >> provided to you, including ANZ Internet Banking;
    >> * conduct market research, data processing and statistical analysis;
    >> and
    >> * unless you disagree, provide you with information about other
    >> facilities, products or services including select third party products or
    >> services.
    >>
    >> The Bank may disclose information about you to the ANZ Group, agents or
    >> contractors for the above purposes.

    > which I read as allowing them to give all the personal and financial
    > information they hold about you to anyone else they do business with.

    That is shocking. We don't use them anymore, they made too many mistakes. I
    don't know their hiring policy but it must run it bit like 'Can't get anyone
    half decent today, so lets just get anyone'.
    Joy
    Joy, Jun 25, 2008
  4. Cima

    Alan Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:14:18 +1200, "Fred" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Cima" <> wrote in message

    >>> They can't spell either. A couple of months ago they had some
    >>> logon issues
    >>> for a
    >>> few hours and the spiel on the main page spelt "inconvenience"
    >>> wrong, and
    >>> also
    >>> that grammatical chestnut "...longer then expected".
    >>>

    >>Why is that a grammatical chestnut? It's simply a three word
    >>phrase with
    >>one spelling mistake.

    > Young kids have no clue when to use then or than. On any forum with
    > teen members
    > you're bound to see something like "this is better then that". It
    > just pisses me
    > off, that's all ;-)

    To true!

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Jun 25, 2008
  5. Cima

    Warwick Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:27:29 +1200, Fred wrote:

    > "Cima" <> wrote in message
    >> [19 quoted lines suppressed]

    > Can't say I've noticed. The one that gets me is the use of the indeinite
    > article 'a' instead of 'an' prior to a vowel. e.g. a apple, a event etc.
    > And it's not just kids; it's almost standard in this newsgroup.

    I reckon typed chat has its own set of spelling mistakes - all phoenetic.
    eg now for know.
    Warwick, Jun 26, 2008