Re: shock from acer aspire one

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Jan 1, 2010.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > A couple of guests using my acer aspire one have complained of getting
    > shocks from it while touching the front vents on the bottom of the
    > case.
    > Can anyone suggest the cause for this.
    > They both think it might have been plugged into the mains and charging
    > at the time.

    Ungrounded AC adapter leaking some current to the negative of the DC
    output, which is barely feelable for a single device.

    Try connecting a whole lot of them together and then it gets nasty.
    About 20 laptop type power supplies is all it takes to get enough
    leakage to trip an RCD normally. Some chinese sat recivers leak almost
    3mA when I measured it.

    If you use a digital multimeter you will probably see about 105-120v to
    ground on the negative of the output of the adapter. Thats all thanks to
    the bullshit requirements to reduce EMI back the supply cable, at the
    expense of saftey.

    Richard, Jan 1, 2010