Re: Sharpening

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Douglas Johnson, Mar 31, 2013.

  1. Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:38:33 +0100, Alfred Molon
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there anything better than unsharp mask to sharpen an image? More
    >>specifically, to compensate for a not so sharp lens or a (small)
    >>autofocus error.

    >Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
    >http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

    Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening. Because
    it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.

    This article
    http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials...astic-uses-of-the-photoshop-high-pass-filter/

    suggests a couple more interesting uses of high pass.

    Thanks,
    Doug
    Douglas Johnson, Mar 31, 2013

  2. Douglas Johnson <> wrote:
    > Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:38:33 +0100, Alfred Molon

    >>>Is there anything better than unsharp mask to sharpen an image? More
    >>>specifically, to compensate for a not so sharp lens or a (small)
    >>>autofocus error.

    >>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
    >>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

    > Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening. Because
    > it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.

    You can put USM (set on the strong side) on a separate layer and
    change it's opacity. And of course you can use a layer mask
    to only apply at the edges.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 1, 2013

  3. Douglas Johnson

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wolfgang
    Weisselberg <> wrote:

    > >>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
    > >>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

    > > Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening.
    > > Because
    > > it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.

    > You can put USM (set on the strong side) on a separate layer and
    > change it's opacity. And of course you can use a layer mask
    > to only apply at the edges.

    with a non-destructive workflow, everything is reversible and
    adjustable at any time, including usm.
    nospam, Apr 1, 2013
  4. Douglas Johnson

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:41:18 -0500, Douglas Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:38:33 +0100, Alfred Molon
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there anything better than unsharp mask to sharpen an image? More
    >>>specifically, to compensate for a not so sharp lens or a (small)
    >>>autofocus error.

    >>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
    >>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

    >Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening. Because
    >it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.
    >
    >This article
    >http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials...astic-uses-of-the-photoshop-high-pass-filter/
    >
    >suggests a couple more interesting uses of high pass.

    Why "unlike USM"? When I use any form of sharpening I make it on a
    new layer. If I don't like the effect, I delete the layer.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Apr 1, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper <> wrote:.

    >Why "unlike USM"? When I use any form of sharpening I make it on a
    >new layer. If I don't like the effect, I delete the layer.

    I learned something today. Thanks.
    -- Doug
    Douglas Johnson, Apr 3, 2013