Re: Sharpening

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Mar 23, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/23/2013 2:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, Eric Stevens
    > says...
    >> Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
    >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

    > Just gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be better than USM.

    If you switch to LAB mode, and sharpen only the lightness channel. This
    will minimize halos.
    First create a new layer so if you oversharpen you can back it down.
    Also, if there are areas you don't want sharpened, you can mask them off.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Mar 23, 2013

  2. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:17:16 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 3/23/2013 2:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article <>, Eric Stevens
    >> says...
    >>> Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
    >>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

    >> Just gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be better than USM.
    >>

    >If you switch to LAB mode, and sharpen only the lightness channel. This
    >will minimize halos.

    In LAB, you can pull the A and B channels in a bit on both ends of the
    curve and pop the colors.

    >First create a new layer so if you oversharpen you can back it down.

    Always. For most adjustments.

    >Also, if there are areas you don't want sharpened, you can mask them off.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 23, 2013

  3. PeterN

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >First create a new layer so if you oversharpen you can back it down.

    > Always. For most adjustments.

    rarely.

    learn about smart objects and non-destructive workflows.
    nospam, Mar 23, 2013
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/23/2013 6:22 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:17:16 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/23/2013 2:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> In article <>, Eric Stevens
    >>> says...
    >>>
    >>> Just gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be better than USM.
    >>>

    >> If you switch to LAB mode, and sharpen only the lightness channel. This
    >> will minimize halos.

    > In LAB, you can pull the A and B channels in a bit on both ends of the
    > curve and pop the colors.

    And do all sorts of things that are much harder to do in RGB.
    My bible, and IMHO one of the most authoritative books on LAB color.
    <http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-LAB-Color-Adventures-Colorspace/dp/0321356780>

    PeterN, Mar 24, 2013