Re: Shared Folders/NTFS Permissions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by AJR, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. AJR

    AJR Guest

    Relax - what ever permissions are assigned to a folder determine whether or
    not the contents(files) can be accessed - if you have access to the
    folder - you have access to it's contents
    -there are no "permissions" on the files.

    By contrast NTFS permissions permit assigning permissions to individual
    files.

    AJR, Jan 24, 2007

  2. AJR

    Richard Guest

    AJR said
    > By contrast NTFS permissions permit assigning permissions to individual
    > files.

    So if I have access to a folder it's possible thru NTFS permissions that a
    file in that
    folder could be off limits to me..if that's NOT true, I don't understand
    your statement.

    Richard

    Richard, Jan 24, 2007

  3. It is generally best to use NTFS permissions instead of share level
    permissions to control access to shared resources over the network.
    Share level permissions give you very limited control, less secure and
    apply only to users connecting over a network. In the old days, we were
    taught to SHARE Full Control and lock the files down with NTFS
    permissions. With Windows XP when a computer is a member of a domain,
    Simple File Sharing is disabled. With SFS enabled, it can only be
    applied at the folder level, not files; which makes the files
    vulnerable. Meaning if you have READ access to a folder with files in
    it; the SHARE permission only extends to the folder, not the files. You
    then use NTFS permissions to control access to the files. Therefore
    Richard, you are correct.

    Does that clear things up a little?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    http://www.yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

    Michael D. Alligood, Jan 25, 2007
  4. AJR

    Jo Guest

    Michael:

    I went back to the Press Book and found the answer I needed. Yes, page 5-45
    of the Press Book states "Shared folder permissions are in effect only when a
    user connects to the shared folder across the network; they have no effect
    when the user is accessing a resource when the user is logged on locally to
    the computer. This is in contrast with NTFS permissions, which are in effect
    both when the user logs on locally and when the user accesses the resource
    across the network." I understand it now. Thanks again - this newgroup
    thingie is great!!!
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jan 25, 2007