Re: Shared contact list

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Apr 6, 2011.

  1. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    > I volunteer in a community organisation that has a list of members, and we
    >have multiple other volunteers who need to communicate with those members.
    >At the moment we maintain our own local contact lists, but the problem is
    >that changes to the contacts are often not made as they should be (some of
    >the other people using this are not overly technically literate).
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a service where a shared contact list can be
    >maintained by anyone with appropriate permissions via a web interface, and
    >that we can ideally define mailing lists that allow us to send to a single
    >address and the email will be received by everyone in that group. Being able
    >to have custom fields against the contacts is a must also (so we can record
    >organisation specific information against members). We currently use Google
    >sites for a website for this organisation, so anything Google-ish is good.
    >gmail don't let you share contact lists with other people.
    >
    > I don't mind hosting something myself (so long as it's on Linux!) but
    >would rather have an inexpensive (or even better: free) solution provided by
    >some other organisation.
    >
    > Any ideas how this can be easily done?

    I think a list server is your friend here. Not sure how useful it is, but
    IIRC, yahoo runs something like this. You subscribe to a list (so it's
    almost self managing) and all emails sent to the list are sent to all
    subscribers. Not sure what info is recorderd, but it might do what you
    need ? You could maybe run more than one list server for your different
    categories ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 6, 2011

  2. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Allistar
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Hi all,
    >>> I volunteer in a community organisation that has a list of members, and
    >>> we
    >>>have multiple other volunteers who need to communicate with those members.
    >>>At the moment we maintain our own local contact lists, but the problem is
    >>>that changes to the contacts are often not made as they should be (some of
    >>>the other people using this are not overly technically literate).
    >>>
    >>> What I'm looking for is a service where a shared contact list can be
    >>>maintained by anyone with appropriate permissions via a web interface, and
    >>>that we can ideally define mailing lists that allow us to send to a single
    >>>address and the email will be received by everyone in that group. Being
    >>>able to have custom fields against the contacts is a must also (so we can
    >>>record organisation specific information against members). We currently
    >>>use Google sites for a website for this organisation, so anything
    >>>Google-ish is good. gmail don't let you share contact lists with other
    >>>people.
    >>>
    >>> I don't mind hosting something myself (so long as it's on Linux!) but
    >>>would rather have an inexpensive (or even better: free) solution provided
    >>>by some other organisation.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how this can be easily done?

    >> I think a list server is your friend here. Not sure how useful it is, but
    >> IIRC, yahoo runs something like this. You subscribe to a list (so it's
    >> almost self managing) and all emails sent to the list are sent to all
    >> subscribers. Not sure what info is recorderd, but it might do what you
    >> need ? You could maybe run more than one list server for your different
    >> categories ?

    >Cheers, I'll look into it. It need to have a fairly easy to use web
    >interface for managing contacts. The need we have is more one of a "shared
    >contact list" that a way to easily email those contacts.

    Another thought ... a shared email account (hotmail/gmail) that everyone
    sending the emails uses ? Someone would need to back up the contacts
    regularly, but it's easy. :)

    Personally, I hate web interfaces of all sorts, largely because they tend to
    be "pretty" without being useful. Ah well, mileages vary. :)

    Good luck ... and let us know what you decided ?

    Thanks

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 6, 2011