Re: Shame on Mozilla

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2008-08-21, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo <> wrote:
    >
    >>> since Win98se? Aside from easier USB support, I can't think of any.

    >> when I had win98, it had usb support.

    > Win98 did not have USB support; that came with Win98SE. USB v1.0 only,
    > though, so pack a lunch if you're planning on using it very much.

    excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
    installed and used it without problems.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >John Thompson wrote:

    >>> when I had win98, it had usb support.

    >> Win98 did not have USB support; that came with Win98SE. USB v1.0 only,
    >> though, so pack a lunch if you're planning on using it very much.
    >>

    >excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
    >installed and used it without problems.

    Win98GOLD ?????
    I never heard of that.....

    I just entered that into Ebay and got zero results too.
    I tried:
    windows 98 Gold
    win98 gold
    win98gold

    Was that an actual MS release, or something that could be added to 98?

    By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
    fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).
    , Aug 22, 2008

  3. wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Thompson wrote:

    >>> Win98 did not have USB support; that came with Win98SE. USB v1.0 only,
    >>> though, so pack a lunch if you're planning on using it very much.
    >>>

    >> excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
    >> installed and used it without problems.

    > Win98GOLD ?????
    > I never heard of that.....
    >
    > I just entered that into Ebay and got zero results too.
    > I tried:
    > windows 98 Gold
    > win98 gold
    > win98gold
    >
    > Was that an actual MS release, or something that could be added to 98?
    >
    > By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
    > fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

    there were basically three releases of win98:

    Win98 -- also known as win98 Gold
    win98SE -- second edition
    winME -- also known as win98TE -- third edition

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:27:19 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> excuse me, but I had win98Gold version, and had USB 2.0
    >>> installed and used it without problems.

    >> Win98GOLD ?????
    >> I never heard of that.....
    >>
    >> I just entered that into Ebay and got zero results too.
    >> I tried:
    >> windows 98 Gold
    >> win98 gold
    >> win98gold
    >>
    >> Was that an actual MS release, or something that could be added to 98?
    >>
    >> By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
    >> fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

    >there were basically three releases of win98:
    >
    >Win98 -- also known as win98 Gold
    >win98SE -- second edition
    >winME -- also known as win98TE -- third edition

    This is what I have always known.
    Except I never heard it called Win98 Gold.
    The SE version was far superior to the first edition. I have always
    avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
    used it has ever been able to specify what they are. Otherwise I
    would have upgraded to it long ago, since I own a licensed CD that
    came with a computer I bought. I know WinME had better USB support,
    and did not need all the drivers. That alone would entice me to
    upgrade to ME. Who knows, I might still do it.....

    By the way, I tried to make Win2000 look like Win98 on my laptop.
    There are no such settings in 2K. (that I can find).

    Thanks for the advice
    , Aug 22, 2008
  5. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:20:18 -0500, John Thompson
    <2.dhs.org> wrote:

    >On 2008-08-22, <> wrote:
    >
    >> By the way, I added a USB 2 card to my Win98 computer, and it works
    >> fine. (the built in USB 1 works also).

    >USB-2 is backwards compatible with USB-1. Does your USB-2 card operate
    >at USB-2 speeds under Win98, or does it fall back to USB-1? If it does
    >run at USB-2 speed, did you install a new, USB-2 capable driver when you
    >added the card?

    You got me there.......
    To me they both seem to work the same, but for reading my camera cards
    and flash sticks they are plenty fast.

    Now comes the question. How can I tell how fast it's working? Is
    there some software? Maybe the 2.x card is only running at 1.x speed.
    Like I said, both seem the same to me.
    Is there some software that can tell me the speed it's getting?

    I remember I did have to install a driver that came with the card.

    By the way, If I was to install WindowsME, would that automatically
    give me USB 2.x? I have considered installing WinME since it's
    relatively the same as Win98, except for the better USB support, and I
    have a WinME install CD that came with one of the computers I bought
    anyhow. I know ME can be installed right over Win98 without losing
    any settings or data.
    , Aug 23, 2008
  6. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:066ua4hsnhdj834e5mq4r4dfnq3toa268g@
    4ax.com:

    > I have always
    > avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
    > used it has ever been able to specify what they are.

    If you apply specific tweaks, ME is far better than 98. The main problem
    was crashing. I isolated that to a buggy version of IE 5.5 that shipped
    with ME. Once I upgraded to IE 6, the crashes were history.

    You can find an explanation of how to tweak ME here:

    http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html

    There is a program called "oppcomme" that allows you to remove all sorts of
    uneeded junk from ME. The site that hosted it has recently disappeared, but
    you can get the file from archive.org.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20080104134803/http://www.beta10.com/oppcomme.ht

    I ran ME for 6 years, and it ran beautifully after being customized.
    However, it is still Win9x, is still just a frontend for DOS (yes, DOS is
    still in ME - Microsoft just tried to hide it.) It still has the 9x memory
    leak. Seriously, 2000 is so much better, and the system requirements for it
    and ME are the same.
    elaich, Aug 23, 2008
  7. elaich wrote:
    > wrote in news:066ua4hsnhdj834e5mq4r4dfnq3toa268g@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    >> I have always
    >> avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
    >> used it has ever been able to specify what they are.

    > If you apply specific tweaks, ME is far better than 98. The main problem
    > was crashing. I isolated that to a buggy version of IE 5.5 that shipped
    > with ME. Once I upgraded to IE 6, the crashes were history.
    >
    > You can find an explanation of how to tweak ME here:
    >
    > http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html
    >
    > There is a program called "oppcomme" that allows you to remove all sorts of
    > uneeded junk from ME. The site that hosted it has recently disappeared, but
    > you can get the file from archive.org.
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20080104134803/http://www.beta10.com/oppcomme.ht
    >
    > I ran ME for 6 years, and it ran beautifully after being customized.
    > However, it is still Win9x, is still just a frontend for DOS (yes, DOS is
    > still in ME - Microsoft just tried to hide it.) It still has the 9x memory
    > leak. Seriously, 2000 is so much better, and the system requirements for it
    > and ME are the same.

    actually, I found x-setup
    <http://www.tucows.com/preview/219636> to be an
    excellent program. I used it for win98, and it helped
    me eliminate nearly 90% of the BSOD.

    This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
    little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
    proper search window.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 23, 2008
  8. Tony Raven wrote:
    > In article <g8psdc$ivs$>,
    > says...
    >> This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
    >> little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
    >> proper search window.
    >>

    > Or:
    > REGEDIT
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    > \CabinetState
    > Create a new STRING Value "Use Search Asst" and set to "no"
    > Close REGEDIT

    ooh, so thats where it is. Not everyone know these
    little hidden secrets. I wonder if that will work for
    the new Windows Search 4.0. Boy, I sure hated that.
    It was about as stupid as the dog version.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 23, 2008
  9. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:42:35 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >elaich wrote:
    >> wrote in news:066ua4hsnhdj834e5mq4r4dfnq3toa268g@
    >> 4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> I have always
    >>> avoided WinME because I was told it was full of bugs, yet no one that
    >>> used it has ever been able to specify what they are.

    >> If you apply specific tweaks, ME is far better than 98. The main problem
    >> was crashing. I isolated that to a buggy version of IE 5.5 that shipped
    >> with ME. Once I upgraded to IE 6, the crashes were history.
    >>
    >> You can find an explanation of how to tweak ME here:
    >>
    >> http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html
    >>
    >> There is a program called "oppcomme" that allows you to remove all sorts of
    >> uneeded junk from ME. The site that hosted it has recently disappeared, but
    >> you can get the file from archive.org.
    >>
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/20080104134803/http://www.beta10.com/oppcomme.ht
    >>
    >> I ran ME for 6 years, and it ran beautifully after being customized.
    >> However, it is still Win9x, is still just a frontend for DOS (yes, DOS is
    >> still in ME - Microsoft just tried to hide it.) It still has the 9x memory
    >> leak. Seriously, 2000 is so much better, and the system requirements for it
    >> and ME are the same.
    >>

    >actually, I found x-setup
    ><http://www.tucows.com/preview/219636> to be an
    >excellent program. I used it for win98, and it helped
    >me eliminate nearly 90% of the BSOD.
    >
    >This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
    >little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
    >proper search window.

    If you're running anything older than XP, dont waste your time
    downloading X-SETUP.
    If you go to the Tucows link above, clicking on the download button
    does nothing. It dont work because they moved their website. When
    you get to their website, you are once again redirected to yet another
    site. Their website says it's made for Win98 thru Vista.
    on this page:
    http://www.x-setup.net/product/features/operatingsystems.asp?lang=EN

    I finally downloaded it, and installed it. It went thru the whole
    install, and at the end I selected a box to "RUN PROGRAM".
    Immediately a box pops up saying it requires XP. Then says select YES
    for an explanation or NO to run the program (which may not run
    properly). I went to the explanation, which is written in geek speak,
    and basically explains in far too many words that I need XP and some
    ..dll files from it. Then I took the other option, and selected NO.
    The menu pops up, but nothing works on it.

    According to the readme file in the program zip, there are more steps
    to take. I tried to go to the Microsoft site, which told me I need to
    validate, but that failed because I am running win98................

    That's when I abandoned the ship, and ran the uninstaller......

    I wouldn't mind trying an older version that was made for Win98, but
    considering they can't seem to make up their mind what OS's are
    supported, I dont know if I want to even use their software.

    Their website does not contain any older versions either,
    , Aug 24, 2008
  10. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:g8psdc$ivs$:

    > This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
    > little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
    > proper search window.

    Hmmm. I used the XP search function for the first time today, saw the
    crappy little dog, and got rid of him by clicking "Get rid of animated
    helper." Your version of XP didn't have that?
    elaich, Aug 24, 2008
  11. elaich wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo <>
    > wrote in news:g8psdc$ivs$:
    >
    >> This is the program I used to get rid of that crappy
    >> little dog in the search function of XP, and give me a
    >> proper search window.

    > Hmmm. I used the XP search function for the first time today, saw the
    > crappy little dog, and got rid of him by clicking "Get rid of animated
    > helper." Your version of XP didn't have that?

    I guess I didn't see it. I changed the registry entry
    back, and now I see it. BUT, the registry entry give
    you a better looking search screen.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 24, 2008
  12. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:g8sb21$4sn$:

    >> If you're running anything older than XP, dont waste your time
    >> downloading X-SETUP.
    >> If you go to the Tucows link above, clicking on the download button
    >> does nothing. It dont work because they moved their website.

    I downloaded it perfectly fine from Tucows. I don't know about 98, because
    I am running XP, but the readme gives you some instructions for using it
    with 95 and 98.
    elaich, Aug 25, 2008
  13. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:05:27 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

> [...]
    >>> <> wrote in

    >>> I downloaded it perfectly fine from Tucows. I don't know about 98,
    >>> because I am running XP, but the readme gives you some instructions
    >>> for using it with 95 and 98.

    >> Does anyone other than me find this discussion totally inane? It's
    >> 2008, going on 2009. And people are still discussing Win 98? In any
    >> form? Why?
    >>
    >> Sorry. I'm as expert as anyone on Win 98 (not to mention Win3.x and Win
    >> 32) and none of them hold a candle to Win XP. You may not want to
    >> embrace change but, if so, what the hell are you doing calling yourself
    >> an expert on anything technical, at least not software-wise?
    >>
    >> Look, your 1996 Buick is obsolete too. Sure, you can buy parts for it
    >> but, uh, why? It will still be a 13 year old car that probably
    >> shouldn't have been built in the first place. Sell the frigging thing
    >> and get into the 21st century before it passes you by.
    >>
    >> All the objections I've heard in this thread to XP (which is, in itself,
    >> a dying OS) is that it isn't Win 98. Geez. Sigh. Luddites!
    >>
    >> Get over it. Either you will change and adapt or you will be left
    >> behind. Technology moves on. And thank God! Win 98 was a
    >> barely-workable "thing" that required huge amounts of attention and time
    >> from it's users to make it "sorta work well." I was one of those.
    >>
    >> I spent hundreds of dollars on books and untold thousands of hours
    >> trying to tweak it to make it behave. And I was heartily happy to leave
    >> it behind.
    >>
    >> All the criticisms I've seen here in this thread about XP amount to
    >> ignorance of the users. Registry hacks to get rid of the dog? LOL! A
    >> few Google searches and mouse clicks and you're done. Forever.
    >>
    >> Loo, my carp here is that you all are arguing about something that will
    >> be moot shortly. You'll either be too late to updgrade to XP, which
    >> means that you'll have to upgrade to Vista, or you'll be stuck for
    >> another 5 years arguing why 98 or XP is your best option.
    >>
    >> Good luck with that strategy as all your major and minor application
    >> producers drop support. It's economics, pure and simple.
    >>
    >> Argue morality etc. but, honestly, my viewpoint is technical. XP works
    >> great for me now. But, when Vista (or, more probably, the next release)
    >> becomes viable? Yes, I'll move.
    >>
    >> And I'll swallow the learning curve. And move on with my life.
    >> Computers are just one aspect of my life. I'll deal with it and move on.
    >>
    >> Geez. Whining. Carping. Etc. Good grief.
    >>
    >> And, look, if you're whining because of the cost? If you can't afford
    >> to gamble and play in the sand box, just shut up, ok? No one forced you
    >> to dive in in the first place.
    >>
    >> Technology is a game. Ongoing. It costs to keep up. If you can't, ok.
    >> Not making any value judgments, just asking you to stop complaining
    >> that most of us are moving on and you can't afford to. If you can't?
    >> Ok! If you can but decide not to ... you're an idiot.
    >>

    >boy, talk about someone whining and carping! Get over

    I was thinking the same thing.....
    Could he be Bill Gates using an alias?

    Just because Microsoft makes it, dont mean I have to like it. I have
    never liked XP, and never will. If I had a choice, I wouldn't be
    using ANY MS operating system. But unless I get a Macintosh, I'm
    stuck with using a MS OS. There is no mainstream alternative. In
    fact the only alternaive is Linux, but thats in a class of itself, and
    not really made for the home user who just wants to use their computer
    with the least amount of fuss.

    And, if Win98 was such a lousy piece of software I would not still be
    using it after 10 years or almost daily use. It's far from perfect,
    but it gets the job done, and is much better than xp in my opinion.
    , Aug 25, 2008