Re: Setting up keeping mail on server for x days

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 14, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:46:34 -0000, "john zeiss"
    <> wrote:

    >If you want to set up keeping mail (for say 20 days or so) with the Server,
    >in Outlook Express; then does this have to be set up in OE on *every
    >computer* wanting to access this email address?
    >
    >Or is setting it up on 'one' computer enough? Thanks for advice.

    It's set according to per instance of usage of OE.
    If you have 10 users on one machine, each one having access to the
    same mailbox, each one can set their preferences accordingly.

    The trick is, figuring out which of the 10 users has priority in this
    matter. What if you have set it for 20 days, another user for 10 days,
    and another user for 30 days?
    As far as the server is concerned, it sees only one user and if the
    user with 10 days is ever online, well everyone else is SOL.
    Because now they having in that mailbox beyond the 10 days.

    richard, Nov 14, 2008

  2. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:30:21 -0600, richard <>
    wrote:

    >It's set according to per instance of usage of OE.

    Not really. KISS - err rather, KISRtS. It's set by the LOWEST setting
    on any machine accessing the mailbox.

    >If you have 10 users on one machine, each one having access to the
    >same mailbox, each one can set their preferences accordingly.

    No, not really.

    >The trick is, figuring out which of the 10 users has priority in this
    >matter. What if you have set it for 20 days, another user for 10 days,
    >and another user for 30 days?
    >As far as the server is concerned, it sees only one user and if the
    >user with 10 days is ever online, well everyone else is SOL.
    >Because now they having in that mailbox beyond the 10 days.

    The simple answer, and the answer the OP asked, is no, you don't need
    to set it on every machine. But if you do set it on one machine, the
    lowest number of days is used.

    Evan Platt, Nov 14, 2008

  3. richard wrote:

    > If you have 10 users on one machine, each one having access to the
    > same mailbox, each one can set their preferences accordingly.

    If you have 10 users on one machine, each one using the same exact email
    address, there are other, more serious, issues.

    Think about it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2008
  4. Evan Platt wrote:

    > The simple answer, and the answer the OP asked, is no, you don't need
    > to set it on every machine. But if you do set it on one machine, the
    > lowest number of days is used.

    Uhm ... is "not setting" not equal to setting it for zero days of
    retention - meaning the messages will be deleted on the server after that
    user with "not setting keep on server" fetched from the box?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 15, 2008
  5. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:30:16 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >Uhm ... is "not setting" not equal to setting it for zero days of
    >retention - meaning the messages will be deleted on the server after that
    >user with "not setting keep on server" fetched from the box?

    Uhhh.. What?

    Evan Platt, Nov 15, 2008
  6. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:30:16 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Uhm ... is "not setting" not equal to setting it for zero days of
    >>retention - meaning the messages will be deleted on the server after that
    >>user with "not setting keep on server" fetched from the box?

    > Uhhh.. What?

    Once a user with standard OE settings (not set to keep mail on server) has
    fetched mails, his OE or windows mail client will issue delete commands to
    the mailserver. Even if the other "stations" won't have yet, the mail will
    be gone from the server.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 16, 2008
  7. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Holend wrote:
    > "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> Uhhh.. What?

    >> Once a user with standard OE settings (not set to keep mail on server) has
    >> fetched mails, his OE or windows mail client will issue delete commands to
    >> the mailserver. Even if the other "stations" won't have yet, the mail will
    >> be gone from the server.

    > yea but if it's IMAP
    > that solves that

    I agree that IMAP would be better but if *any* client deletes the mail
    on the server, it won't be there for any other client to read.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 17, 2008