Re: Setting up keeping mail on server for x days

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Nov 14, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:46:34 -0000, "john zeiss"
    <> wrote:

    >If you want to set up keeping mail (for say 20 days or so) with the Server,
    >in Outlook Express; then does this have to be set up in OE on *every
    >computer* wanting to access this email address?
    >
    >Or is setting it up on 'one' computer enough? Thanks for advice.

    Well, think about it.

    Once your one computer set to keep mail 20 days on the server gets
    mail older than 20 days, what's it going to do with mail older than 20
    days?

    Setting it on one computer will suffice.
    Evan Platt, Nov 14, 2008

  2. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:46:34 -0000, "john zeiss"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>If you want to set up keeping mail (for say 20 days or so)
    >>with the Server, in Outlook Express; then does this have to
    >>be set up in OE on *every computer* wanting to access this
    >>email address?
    >>
    >>Or is setting it up on 'one' computer enough? Thanks for
    >>advice.

    > Well, think about it.
    >
    > Once your one computer set to keep mail 20 days on the
    > server gets mail older than 20 days, what's it going to do
    > with mail older than 20 days?
    >
    > Setting it on one computer will suffice.

    Brilliant. Thanks for the laugh.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
    thanatoid, Nov 14, 2008

  3. Evan Platt

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:46:34 -0000, "john zeiss"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to set up keeping mail (for say 20 days or so) with the Server,
    >> in Outlook Express; then does this have to be set up in OE on *every
    >> computer* wanting to access this email address?
    >>
    >> Or is setting it up on 'one' computer enough? Thanks for advice.

    > Well, think about it.
    >
    > Once your one computer set to keep mail 20 days on the server gets
    > mail older than 20 days, what's it going to do with mail older than 20
    > days?
    >
    > Setting it on one computer will suffice.

    ROFL!

    OK, I'll try and help you with this one. Think about it for a second.

    What the setting is saying, is "Do not delete mail on the server unless
    it is older than 20 days"

    So what do you think another computer accessing the same mailbox with a
    setting that deletes the mail immediately after downloading (The general
    default) is going to do with the mail on the server?
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 17, 2008
  4. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:28:07 +0000, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >ROFL!
    >
    >OK, I'll try and help you with this one. Think about it for a second.
    >
    >What the setting is saying, is "Do not delete mail on the server unless
    >it is older than 20 days"
    >
    >So what do you think another computer accessing the same mailbox with a
    >setting that deletes the mail immediately after downloading (The general
    >default) is going to do with the mail on the server?

    Yes, obviously if you set it for LESS than the number of days you
    want, you're screwed obviously. However if you DON'T set it at all, or
    set it for some obscene number of days, ie 30000 days, it won't
    matter.

    "Not setting it" in my opinion means DISABLING the option.

    So do you need to SET IT on more than one computer?

    No.
    Evan Platt, Nov 17, 2008
  5. Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >
    >>ROFL!
    >>
    >>OK, I'll try and help you with this one. Think about it for a second.
    >>
    >>What the setting is saying, is "Do not delete mail on the server unless
    >>it is older than 20 days"
    >>
    >>So what do you think another computer accessing the same mailbox with a
    >>setting that deletes the mail immediately after downloading (The general
    >>default) is going to do with the mail on the server?

    > Yes, obviously if you set it for LESS than the number of days you
    > want, you're screwed obviously. However if you DON'T set it at all, or
    > set it for some obscene number of days, ie 30000 days, it won't
    > matter.
    >
    > "Not setting it" in my opinion means DISABLING the option.
    >
    > So do you need to SET IT on more than one computer?
    >
    > No.

    Perhaps. Perhaps not. Particularly with OE one might find it prudent
    to at least re-examine the settings (especially after having undergone
    some Windows Update modifications - which tend to alter and reset system
    settings without any proper notice thereto) and fully study the defaults
    to make sure there's no conflicts among computers and/or clients thereon.

    Just FYI : your "opinion" has very little to do with how a particular
    client or software handles "not setting it." On some that may mean
    "disabling" the option, but on others that may mean accepting the
    default option.

    Again, I've had OE behave quite differently on different workstations,
    and really haven't had the time and inclination to study it down to a
    particular circumstance past generalities... which boils down to periodically
    patrolling the settings for both OE and IE, especially
    after Windows Updates.

    --

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got milk. (|^;

    http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/11/6haynes.html

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 17, 2008