Re: Setting up a wireless network in an apartment block

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff Durham, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Jeff Durham

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Here are my comments:
    - Does your provider allow you to resell their connectivity?
    - To limit bandwidth, you are going to most likely have to invest in more
    expensive router equipment
    - Otherwise, I would recommend using something like a Netgear FVS318 router
    with firewall along with a wireless access point such as a Linksys WAP54G.
    I only mention these as I have used them. Take a look at comparable
    equipment from other vendors.
    - I believe that separating the router from the access point gives you more
    flexibility and less problems, but it will cost you a few dollars more.
    - By using a router to hand out DHCP addresses, your PC does not have to be
    involved. You can leave it turned off and everyone else will have access.
    - As for security, I would not do anything less than WPA Pre-shared key.
    WEP is okay, but with WPA being widely available in new equipment, you
    should stick with it. Even better, if you setup a Win2k or Win2003 server,
    you can go to WPA RADIUS using EAP-TLS and certificates. That is much more
    complicated than you probably want to get into.
    - Skip the MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID. That causes more
    problems than it is worth. If you are concerned about neighbors giving out
    the shared key associated with WPA-PSK, you can turn on MAC address
    filtering. However, any decent hacker can quickly spoof a MAC address.
    Hiding the SSID only causes problems with Windows XP.
    - As for connectivity through walls, you will just have to try it and see
    how it works.
    - Keep in mind that you are in for a support nightmare by doing this. If
    someone is playing online games at 2am and their wireless connectivity
    suddenly goes down, they have every right to come banging on your door. :)

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Thanks Jeff - this is great advice and much appreciated

    Lee in London

    =?Utf-8?B?bGlhbXNraQ==?=, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Jeff Durham

    Jack Guest

    I do not think that FVS318 works with USB Modem.

    Actually almost all of the Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers do not work with
    USB Modem,

    "liamski" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Jeff - this is great advice and much appreciated
    >
    > Lee in London
    >
    > "Jeff Durham" wrote:
    >
    > > Here are my comments:
    > > - Does your provider allow you to resell their connectivity?
    > > - To limit bandwidth, you are going to most likely have to invest in

    more
    > > expensive router equipment
    > > - Otherwise, I would recommend using something like a Netgear FVS318

    router
    > > with firewall along with a wireless access point such as a Linksys

    WAP54G.
    > > I only mention these as I have used them. Take a look at comparable
    > > equipment from other vendors.
    > > - I believe that separating the router from the access point gives you

    more
    > > flexibility and less problems, but it will cost you a few dollars more.
    > > - By using a router to hand out DHCP addresses, your PC does not have to

    be
    > > involved. You can leave it turned off and everyone else will have

    access.
    > > - As for security, I would not do anything less than WPA Pre-shared key.
    > > WEP is okay, but with WPA being widely available in new equipment, you
    > > should stick with it. Even better, if you setup a Win2k or Win2003

    server,
    > > you can go to WPA RADIUS using EAP-TLS and certificates. That is much

    more
    > > complicated than you probably want to get into.
    > > - Skip the MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID. That causes more
    > > problems than it is worth. If you are concerned about neighbors giving

    out
    > > the shared key associated with WPA-PSK, you can turn on MAC address
    > > filtering. However, any decent hacker can quickly spoof a MAC address.
    > > Hiding the SSID only causes problems with Windows XP.
    > > - As for connectivity through walls, you will just have to try it and

    see
    > > how it works.
    > > - Keep in mind that you are in for a support nightmare by doing this.

    If
    > > someone is playing online games at 2am and their wireless connectivity
    > > suddenly goes down, they have every right to come banging on your door.

    :)

    Jack, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Jeff Durham

    Jeff Durham Guest

    You are right. I did not see that the OP mentioned that the modem was USB.
    This implies that it has to be connected to the PC which means that the PC
    probably has to be on all of the time. I would suggest getting a modem that
    has an ethernet plug for the home side. This would allow greater
    flexibility in choosing a router.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 18, 2004