Re: Setting up a network.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bazzer Smith, May 15, 2006.

  1. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I use the wizard to set up a network but then it
    > want to create a disk to set up the other computers
    > on the network, however it says I have no removeable
    > media. I don't have a floppy but I do have a DVDRW
    > however it says I don't have anything so it won't
    > do it. I don't have an XP installation disk either as
    > it was preinstalled.
    > (I have made a recovery DVD though, but the other machines
    > don't have DVD only CD.
    >
    > So how do I set up the other machine w98se?
    > I tired to set up up but I don't have much idea.
    > At some point it asks for a winNT domain name or
    > something like that, I have no idea what to put there.
    >
    > TIA any help appreciated.

    Forwarded to alt.computer.

    Bazzer Smith, May 15, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:
    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I use the wizard to set up a network but then it
    >>want to create a disk to set up the other computers
    >>on the network, however it says I have no removeable
    >>media. I don't have a floppy but I do have a DVDRW
    >>however it says I don't have anything so it won't
    >>do it. I don't have an XP installation disk either as
    >>it was preinstalled.
    >>(I have made a recovery DVD though, but the other machines
    >>don't have DVD only CD.

    I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
    machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install
    the networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network
    with the XP machine.

    >>So how do I set up the other machine w98se?
    >>I tired to set up up but I don't have much idea.
    >>At some point it asks for a winNT domain name or
    >>something like that, I have no idea what to put there.

    You choose Workgroup name like *Smith* all computers must be in the same
    Workgroup in order to network, including the XP machine.

    Of course you would need to pull the floppy disk drive out of the XP
    machine and install it in the Win 9'x machines to install XP networking
    software.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813936#appliesto

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 16, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    James Egan Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:47:16 GMT, Duane Arnold
    <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote:

    >I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
    >machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install
    >the networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network
    >with the XP machine.

    So rather than make some manual configuration changes to win9x which
    take less than a minute (see Winograd faq posted by Malke), buy a
    floppy drive, open up the pc, install the floppy drive (after needing
    to learn how, maybe), modify the cmos so the floppy disk is recognised
    and then make and use a xp network disk.

    Don't think so, somehow.

    Jim.

    James Egan, May 16, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:U2bag.2733$...
    > Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >> "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I use the wizard to set up a network but then it
    >>>want to create a disk to set up the other computers
    >>>on the network, however it says I have no removeable
    >>>media. I don't have a floppy but I do have a DVDRW
    >>>however it says I don't have anything so it won't
    >>>do it. I don't have an XP installation disk either as
    >>>it was preinstalled.
    >>>(I have made a recovery DVD though, but the other machines
    >>>don't have DVD only CD.

    > I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
    > machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install the
    > networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network with
    > the XP machine.
    >>>
    >>>So how do I set up the other machine w98se?
    >>>I tired to set up up but I don't have much idea.
    >>>At some point it asks for a winNT domain name or
    >>>something like that, I have no idea what to put there.

    > You choose Workgroup name like *Smith* all computers must be in the same
    > Workgroup in order to network, including the XP machine.
    >
    > Of course you would need to pull the floppy disk drive out of the XP
    > machine and install it in the Win 9'x machines to install XP networking
    > software.

    You don't actually need a floppy, it is stored in the system folder so
    u could burn a cd, or tranfer it on a spare hard drive which is what
    I did cos I knew that would work.

    Bazzer Smith, May 16, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "James Egan" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:47:16 GMT, Duane Arnold
    > <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote:
    >
    >>I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
    >>machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install
    >>the networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network
    >>with the XP machine.

    > So rather than make some manual configuration changes to win9x which
    > take less than a minute (see Winograd faq posted by Malke), buy a
    > floppy drive, open up the pc, install the floppy drive (after needing
    > to learn how, maybe), modify the cmos so the floppy disk is recognised
    > and then make and use a xp network disk.
    >
    > Don't think so, somehow.

    I had tried the manual configuration but I could get it to
    work, so I suspected I had done something wrong or
    some obscure fault. I need the settup to give me confidence
    I had done it corectly.
    The settup didn't work either due to some other probs
    I detailed in micro......etc...windowsxp.general.
    Anyway its sort now :O)

    Bazzer Smith, May 16, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Plato Guest