Re: Server+ exam afterthoughts

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Rick Blythin, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Rick Blythin

    Rick Blythin Guest

    James,

    Thanks for the thoughts, I started studying for Server after I passed
    Network. But it ended up on the back burner, now I'm studying for Linux. I
    plan to get server after I pass Linux then it's off to more vender specific
    certs. Very helpful post. As for your question at the end I'd say I,II,III &
    IV ;).

    Rick
    --
    A+, Network+

    "James D. Murray" <> wrote in message

    > I just passed the Server+ exam and I thought I'd cast my afterthoughts

    about
    > the exam on to the Internet for any other interested people to read.
    >

    > I passed the A+ exam two months ago. The typical track is to next acquire
    > the Network+ cert. However, after reviewing the material for both Network+
    > and Server+, I decided the Server+ exam looked to be more of the natural
    > next step after the A+. Although I have years of both server and network
    > experience, it looked as though I'd have a much tougher time passing
    > Server+, so might as well get it out of the way ASAP.
    >

    > I studied for about six weeks, starting with reading through the Server+
    > Certification Bible by Trevor Kay and Sybex's Server+ Study Guide, and the
    > MS Press Server+ Certification Training Kit. Both Kay's and Sybex's books
    > are definitely worth reading. The one from MS Press is lacking in depth.
    >

    > I viewed most of the VTC Training CD for Server Plus. The material was not
    > detailed enough to be truly useful for the exam. Also, the speaker on the
    > video didn't make the presentation of the material very interesting.
    >

    > I also had a skim through the usual TestKing and CramSession braindump
    > publications. They cover a lot of material, but most of their questions

    don'
    > t really resemble those on the actual exam. Neither does most of the
    > Question Of the Day (QOD) practice questions available from several
    > certification web sites.
    >

    > Starting two weeks before my exam, I started going through the Server+
    > practice exams by Transcender, Boson, and MeasureUp. I'd have to say that
    > the format and content of Transcender's questions most closely match the
    > actual Server+ exam. Both Boson and MeasureUp have nice practice exams,

    but
    > many of the questions contain material that you won't see on the Server+
    > exam. If you can pass all of these practice exams then you definitely know
    > your server stuff.
    >

    > As for the Server+ exam itself, it is 80 questions in length, you have 90
    > minutes to complete it, and a score of 75 or better is required to pass.

    It
    > took me just over an hour to answer all of the questions and I passed with
    > an 82. I spent 10 minutes or so reviewing a few of my answers and ended up
    > changing one or two. I decided that second-guessing my gut was not a good
    > thing, so I didn't bother to completely review the entire exam (I might

    have
    > ended up with a lower score if I did).
    >

    > Make no mistake that the Server+ exam is about HARDWARE. At least half of
    > the questions in some way involved RAID, SCSI, or tape backup strategies.

    > significant portion involved trouble-shooting of failed components,

    network
    > problems, and performance problems using "best practices" methodology. The
    > networking questions were fairly easy, so I really don't think you need a
    > Network+ cert before getting your Server+ if you are already comfortable
    > with network design and troubleshooting. There was only two or three MS
    > Windows-specific questions, and only one involving multiple OSes.
    >

    > Probably one-third of the questions were the complex, scenario-based
    > questions that describe a problem in detail and ask you how to diagnose
    > and/or resolve it. These weren't nearly as complex as many on the M$

    exams,
    > but two or three were so ambiguous that it was truly impossible to

    determine
    > a single, correct answer. I won't give an example, but all of the

    commercial
    > practice exams have the same type of head scratchers in them.
    >

    > One funny thing I noticed was that none of the exam questions were

    multiple
    > choice (i.e., all radio button and no check boxes). There were also no

    "none
    > of the choices" selections. There were a dozen or so questions that

    offered

    Rick Blythin, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Thanks for tip on the study books i am starting to study for that now

    &

    RICHARD reason, Jul 31, 2003