Re: Serious Computer Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bret, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:55:26 GMT, "Scott Stuart"
    <> wrote:

    >Here is a problem that I hope one of you can answer.
    >
    >About 2 months ago, my computer started rebooting at random times, as if
    >someone had pressed the reset button. There is no specific time frame for
    >this problem to occur. Sometimes, the computer will boot up and run for a
    >few minutes, other times it can go for an hour or more. At first, I thought
    >the problem was a faulty reset button, so I disconnected the reset button
    >from the motherboard. This did not help. Next, I replaced the power
    >supply, thinking that it might be going out. This did nothing to help. So
    >far, I have replaced everything but the CPU chip (AMD Athlon 1.2GHz), the
    >floppy drive, and the CD-RW drive. I thought it might be a line voltage
    >problem, but there is another computer on the same line, and it never has
    >this problem. I have plugged the computer into another power jack, and the
    >same thing happens. Occasionally, when the computer is off, there is an
    >audible popping noise that comes from the speakers. This occurs at about
    >the same rate that the computer reboot problem occurs, except that it
    >happens when the computer is turned off. I disconnected the speakers from
    >the system, and the noise stops. The problem remains in the computer when
    >booted up without the speakers installed. For those of you about to state
    >the obvious, Yes, I have replaced the power cord as well, and this did
    >nothing to help. Nice try, though..
    >
    >Could this problem be due to a failing CPU chip, or am I looking in the
    >wrong direction?
    >
    >PLEASE HELP!!!
    >
    >Scott Stuart

    start/control panel/performance and
    maintenance/system/advanced/startup and recovery--settings, check if
    the automatically restart button is ticked (XP default).
    Assuming you are running XP, this tick box will cause your computer to
    reboot instead of blue screening.

    Bret, Nov 19, 2003