Re: Serial port and PS/2 port schematics OR Assistive Tech. suggestion

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by naive.verizon@locality.net, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am using the serial mouse
    as assistive technology. I am paralyzed from the nech down and use a
    mouth-held stick to control the mouse.

    The "mouse" is similar to a trackball, with a flat disk on the top
    surface. This disk allows me to control direction of the mouse
    cursor. A left and right button below the disk give me left and right
    click, respectively.

    If you or anyone else can help me modify a ps/2 mouse-type to work
    with my stick then your easy solution would work great!

    Further suggestions Ralph, or others?

    Sincerely,

    Chris.

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:34:46 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Will anyone tell me where I can locatew the pin-outs for PS/2 and
    >> serial ports.
    >>
    >> I am having trouble with kvm boxes not recognizing my serial mouse.
    >> The mouse is plugged into a ps/2 port on a kvm, by a serial to ps/2
    >> adapter. For some reason the mouse does not work when attached to the
    >> kvm. This problem affects most of the readily available kvm boxes,
    >> with the exception of Belkin's Omnicube. None of the tech. support
    >> people I contacted are able or willing to explain this to me.

    > Probably because they don't know that PS/2 mice and serial mice use
    >different protocols.
    >
    > Why not use a PS/2 mouse instead? Solves the problem nicely.
    >
    > RwP

    , Jul 9, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am using the serial mouse
    > as assistive technology. I am paralyzed from the nech down and use a
    > mouth-held stick to control the mouse.
    >
    > The "mouse" is similar to a trackball, with a flat disk on the top
    > surface. This disk allows me to control direction of the mouse
    > cursor. A left and right button below the disk give me left and right
    > click, respectively.
    >
    > If you or anyone else can help me modify a ps/2 mouse-type to work
    > with my stick then your easy solution would work great!
    >
    > Further suggestions Ralph, or others?

    Use a KVM with a serial mouse port.

    Call and bitch at the "mouse" manufacturer. Serial ports aren't on
    all PCs anymore, and PS/2 ports are going away. There's no need for them to
    make a device that's so 80's when the 21st century is here (tell them to
    read up on this interesting interface called "USB").

    Past that, I don't have any suggestions ...

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 10, 2003