Re: Sequence of Events: looking for advice

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > 1) Boss installs Service Pack 2 of XP Home Edition on her computer.
    >
    > 2) Norton AV 2003 gives her a message, indicating that auto-enable and
    > email
    > scanning aren't happening (though some of the services continue) . They
    > are
    > not allowed to be enabled, either, click on "Enable", and nothing happens.
    > Cannot change these in safe mode, either.
    >
    > 3) I uninstalled SP2. Still can't enable the compromised services.
    >
    > 4) I go to the NAV site; am advised to uninstall/reinstall AV 2003.
    > Uninstall happens ok; when I go to re-install, it won't let me, says
    > something about some cab file is corrupted. Can't find the cab file on
    > the
    > AV disk, or on the HD.
    >
    > 5) Am directed to attempt to install from the HD; I copy files to the HD,
    > attempt to install from the HD, still can't, still a cab file is
    > corrupted.
    >
    > 6) Back to the Symantec site...am directed to the MS site to download the
    > Installer Repair/Cleanup utility. I downloaded and ran the utility; still
    > can't install NAV 2003, same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Norton Anti-Virus is an absolute bitch to completely uninstall. I had a
    similar problem with a customer's computer, and had to do a complete
    uninstall before I could get it to cleanly install again. Even after I used
    Symantec's "uninstaller", I still had to go into the registry and delete
    anything I could find related to symantec or Norton, as well as whatever
    files were left in the C:\Program Files\Symantec directory.

    You might also try doing a simple scandisk/chkdisc (I forget what it's
    called in XP), as ocasionally these can fix problems with "corrupted" files.
    It sounds like this is a problem with a file on the CD, ..but it might be
    worth a shot.

    Patrick Michael, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Patrick Michael

    the yeti Guest

    > You might also try doing a simple scandisk/chkdisc (I forget what it's
    > called in XP), as ocasionally these can fix problems with "corrupted" files.
    > It sounds like this is a problem with a file on the CD, ..but it might be
    > worth a shot.

    I think what you are looking for is sfc /scannow
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    the yeti, Nov 9, 2004