Re: Sequence of Events: looking for advice

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by «bonehead;\), Nov 8, 2004.

  1. "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message

    > "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > 1) Boss installs Service Pack 2 of XP Home Edition on her computer.
    > >
    > > 2) Norton AV 2003 gives her a message, indicating that auto-enable and
    > > email
    > > scanning aren't happening (though some of the services continue) . They
    > > are
    > > not allowed to be enabled, either, click on "Enable", and nothing

    happens.
    > > Cannot change these in safe mode, either.
    > >
    > > 3) I uninstalled SP2. Still can't enable the compromised services.
    > >
    > > 4) I go to the NAV site; am advised to uninstall/reinstall AV 2003.
    > > Uninstall happens ok; when I go to re-install, it won't let me, says
    > > something about some cab file is corrupted. Can't find the cab file on
    > > the
    > > AV disk, or on the HD.
    > >
    > > 5) Am directed to attempt to install from the HD; I copy files to the

    HD,
    > > attempt to install from the HD, still can't, still a cab file is
    > > corrupted.
    > >
    > > 6) Back to the Symantec site...am directed to the MS site to download

    the
    > > Installer Repair/Cleanup utility. I downloaded and ran the utility;

    still
    > > can't install NAV 2003, same problem.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > smackedass

    > Either the NAV uninstaller on the Symantec website or you might need to do

    > complete manual uninstall involving the Registry(also explained on their
    > website).

    and seriously consider using a different AV that plays nice
    when you actually work on the computer... www.grisoft.com
    and it's free...
    Norton is notorious for being a PITA...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Nov 8, 2004

  2. «bonehead;\)

    johan jansen Guest

    Yeah Bonehead is right definatley consider using another AV as Norton is
    nightmare to uninstall believe me I've tryed myself in the past seems to
    leave half of its files still in the registry. As a free option also
    consider using Avast home edition it's free and their are daily update's

    Johan

    johan jansen, Nov 9, 2004