Re: Selphy Dye-sublimation Printers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 10, 11:41 pm, Michael <> wrote:
    > I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
    > the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
    > ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
    > to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
    > new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
    > these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
    > white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
    > experience with these printers would be welcome.
    > --
    > Michael

    The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.
    Rich, Aug 12, 2010

  2. Rich

    Better Info Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 10, 11:41 pm, Michael <> wrote:
    >> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
    >> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
    >> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
    >> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
    >> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
    >> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
    >> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
    >> experience with these printers would be welcome.
    >> --
    >> Michael

    >The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    >sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

    Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
    well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
    to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
    compromise.
    Better Info, Aug 12, 2010

  3. Rich

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Better Info <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Aug 10, 11:41 pm, Michael <> wrote:
    >>> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
    >>> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
    >>> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
    >>> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
    >>> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
    >>> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
    >>> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
    >>> experience with these printers would be welcome.
    >>> --
    >>> Michael

    >>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    >>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

    >Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
    >well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
    >to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
    >compromise.

    Is the fix for metamerism the clear-coat layer that better imkjet
    printers put down?
    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Aug 12, 2010
  4. Rich

    Better Info Guest

    On 11 Aug 2010 23:23:23 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Better Info <> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    >>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

    >>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
    >>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
    >>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
    >>compromise.

    >Is the fix for metamerism the clear-coat layer that better imkjet
    >printers put down?

    It can help a little, but that's generally a UV protection layer only. It
    would have to be a fully graduated AR (anti-reflection) multi-coating to
    try to offset the effects of metamerism. That is beyond the capabilities of
    any printer, requiring thin-film deposition methods in a vacuum.
    Better Info, Aug 12, 2010
  5. Rich

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Better Info <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Aug 10, 11:41 pm, Michael <> wrote:
    >>> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
    >>> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
    >>> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
    >>> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
    >>> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
    >>> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
    >>> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
    >>> experience with these printers would be welcome.
    >>> --
    >>> Michael

    >>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    >>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

    >Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
    >well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
    >to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
    >compromise.

    Can you name the model of a printer you consider capable of producing
    prints of gallery quality?
    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Aug 13, 2010
  6. Rich

    Better Info Guest

    On 12 Aug 2010 23:03:39 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Better Info <> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    >>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

    >>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
    >>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
    >>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
    >>compromise.
    >>

    >Can you name the model of a printer you consider capable of producing
    >prints of gallery quality?

    I never recommend any one manufacturer or model of anything. Then others
    could produce products as nice as I do, using all the testing and research
    that I did, for free, at my expense. Advice that specific costs big money.
    My time and research is very valuable.

    You might try posting your questions in comp.periphs.printers and see what
    kind of advice you can get there.
    Better Info, Aug 13, 2010
  7. Rich

    Peter Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Better Info <> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
    >>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

    >>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
    >>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
    >>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
    >>compromise.
    >>

    > Can you name the model of a printer you consider capable of producing
    > prints of gallery quality?

    Try the Epson 2880, or 3880.
    If you have sufficient quantity, try the Epson 4880 which is less expensive
    per print, but clogs if you don't use it enough.

    ..

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 14, 2010