RE: Self Test.com software - Exam tests

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Michael D. Alligood, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. Wow. I am not sure where to begin with that! So as a wise man once said,
    begin at the beginning. Here we go:

    Yes the Microsoft exams have a slant; they are suppose to. You are
    dealing with their software and they have specific ways of
    troubleshooting the operating system that may seem erroneous to seasoned
    technicians. Example: You need to statically configure your IP address
    for your current network. How can this be accomplished? Microsoft wants
    you to utilize the Control Panel, not right click on Network Places and
    select properties -- which we would all do. Microsoft designed the
    Control Panel as there one stop window. However, we know ways around the
    Control Panel don't we? This was just an example of course. The easiest
    way isn't necessarily the correct way with Microsoft. My best advice to
    you is to stop thinking like a technician. Sounds odd I know. But once
    you start doing so while taking the exam, you will find yourself saying,
    "Well I would not do it like that." This can cause you to fail. This
    test honestly is a glorified A+ software exam (but a little wordier --
    if that is even a word).

    With concerns to the practice tests; many practice test come from a
    static pool of question -- meaning they do not change. Even my favorite
    practice exams, Transcender, have a static pool of questions of about
    150 I think. But I do not use them as a study tool. I use them as a
    conditioning tool.

    As far as your lack of support and funding from your company, screw
    them. Do it yourself. Remember you can do this. Take the advice from
    Montreal M. Either you will pass or fail. If you fail, you at least know
    what is on the test first hand. Remember, exam insurance is your
    friend... Good Luck!

    By the way, what objectives do you have with your practice tests are you
    having issues with?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 29, 2006

  2. Michael D. Alligood wrote:
    > them. Do it yourself. Remember you can do this. Take the advice from
    > Montreal M. Either you will pass or fail. If you fail, you at least know
    > what is on the test first hand. Remember, exam insurance is your
    > friend... Good Luck!

    I agree w/ Michael & Montreal's advice. I had been procrastinating to
    take my first exam for YEARS. Well, I finally did it. I got a cheap
    Ebay voucher so that if I failed I wouldn't be out the full price. I
    took the 70-431 exam the Friday before Christmas and amazingly passed
    it! I didn't get the highest score in the history of the exam, but a
    pass is a pass.

    Moral of the story: Prepare well, get hands-on experience and TAKE THE EXAM!

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Dec 30, 2006