Re: Segmentation Fault

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 29, 2009.

  1. Van Chocstraw wrote:
    > Why does only Firefox do this? It starts failing by attempting to run
    > and failing the first time and runs the second time you try. Then after
    > a week it won't run at all with segmentation fault.
    > Seamonkey never does this and runs fine.

    try asking on a linux forum as its a problem with the
    OS and not firefox, per-se:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-applications/41990-segmentation-fault-firefox.html

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 29, 2009

  2. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Van Chocstraw wrote:
    >> Why does only Firefox do this? It starts failing by attempting to run
    >> and failing the first time and runs the second time you try. Then after
    >> a week it won't run at all with segmentation fault.
    >> Seamonkey never does this and runs fine.

    > try asking on a linux forum as its a problem with the OS and not
    > firefox, per-se:
    > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-applications/41990-segmentation-fault-firefox.html

    At best its a Firefox on Linux problem, though I don't notice it at all
    on Ubuntu.

    Best to ask in a Linux Forum, where you can get more direct help. Its
    not at all an issue on Windows or Mac.

    Either that or go to news.mozilla.org, and asl on
    mozilla.support.firefox. There are a lot of Linux users there who may
    be able to offer help. This group, once very active, seems to be dying
    on the vine.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2009

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Justin Guest

    Van Chocstraw wrote on [Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:38:48 -0500]:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> try asking on a linux forum as its a problem with the OS and not
    >>> firefox, per-se:
    >>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-applications/41990-segmentation-fault-firefox.html
    >>>

    >> At best its a Firefox on Linux problem, though I don't notice it at all
    >> on Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Best to ask in a Linux Forum, where you can get more direct help. Its
    >> not at all an issue on Windows or Mac.
    >>
    >> Either that or go to news.mozilla.org, and asl on
    >> mozilla.support.firefox. There are a lot of Linux users there who may
    >> be able to offer help. This group, once very active, seems to be dying
    >> on the vine.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I have eliminated ram. This is a triple boot machine. I have Ubuntu,
    > Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
    > Firefox version 3.0.15 on W2k runs fine and appears to be the latest
    > that can be run.
    > Firefox version 2.0.0.20 on WindowsME runs fine and it the last
    > available version for that OS.
    > So....The last upgrade on Firefox 3.5.x on Ubuntu is when it no longer
    > runs on my hardware. So it IS Firefox and nothing else is broken!

    You are comparing apples to oranges to kiwi fruit.

    Justin, Dec 1, 2009
  4. Van Chocstraw wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> try asking on a linux forum as its a problem with the OS and not
    >>> firefox, per-se:
    >>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-applications/41990-segmentation-fault-firefox.html
    >>>

    >> At best its a Firefox on Linux problem, though I don't notice it at
    >> all on Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Best to ask in a Linux Forum, where you can get more direct help. Its
    >> not at all an issue on Windows or Mac.
    >>
    >> Either that or go to news.mozilla.org, and asl on
    >> mozilla.support.firefox. There are a lot of Linux users there who may
    >> be able to offer help. This group, once very active, seems to be dying
    >> on the vine.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I have eliminated ram. This is a triple boot machine. I have Ubuntu,
    > Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
    > Firefox version 3.0.15 on W2k runs fine and appears to be the latest
    > that can be run.
    > Firefox version 2.0.0.20 on WindowsME runs fine and it the last
    > available version for that OS.
    > So....The last upgrade on Firefox 3.5.x on Ubuntu is when it no longer
    > runs on my hardware. So it IS Firefox and nothing else is broken!

    As I pointed out at mozilla.general, FF 3.5.5. can run on Win 2K, and is
    recommended. I also agreed that 2.0.0.20 is the last version that will
    run on Win ME.

    I also noted that FF 3.5.5, installed from the Ubuntu repositories, is
    running fine on Ubuntu 9.10. This would indicate that the problem is on
    your installation of Ubuntu. FF runs fine on mine.

    I suggest asking in the Ubuntu forums.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2009