Re: Seeking advice on permanent storage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eawckyegcy@yahoo.com, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Jim Garner wrote:

    > I expect I will be changing computers before long, so the stuff I have on
    > my hard disk needs to be stored or backed up somehow.

    Buy the new computer.

    Buy lots of disk space.

    But more disk space.

    Buy a network cable.

    Mount old computer drive on new computer.

    Copy from old to new.

    Retain old computer as a backup copy.

    Cycle as you purchase newer computers. You may retain the network
    cable at your option.

    Avoid CD. Avoid DVD. Do not argue with physical reality, as you
    _will_ lose: the second law says you _must_ expend energy to avoid
    entropic effects. Pray nightly for high-density, inexpensive,
    no-moving-parts solid state storage to arrive.

    , Oct 27, 2005

  2. wilt Guest

    Tom's experience mirrors the public experience... CD-R most dependable,
    CD-RW somewhat less dependable, DVD-R somewhat less dependable than
    CD-RW, DVD-RW even less dependable than DVD-R for long term storage.

    >>Retain old computer as a backup copy. Cycle as you purchase newer computers. You may retain the network

    cable at your option. Avoid CD. Avoid DVD.<<

    eawckye's advice works ONLY as long as the new computer has a drive
    interface circuit which is compatible with the harddrive in the new
    computer! obviously eawckye has not been around long enough to have
    experienced the evolution of harddrives from ST-506 thru ESDI thru IDE
    thru EIDE thru SATA, SCSI thru SCSI-2 thru SCSI-3 etc etc. nor
    computer buses from ISA thru EISA thru PCI...few of which are ever
    compatible with one another!

    wilt, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Guest

    wilt wrote:

    > Tom's experience mirrors the public experience... CD-R most dependable,
    > CD-RW somewhat less dependable, DVD-R somewhat less dependable than
    > CD-RW, DVD-RW even less dependable than DVD-R for long term storage.

    I am hitting 200GB of audio and images, and no end in sight. How many
    DVD's is that? Why should I manage a large collection of pieces of
    plastic of uncertain lifespan? What's in it for me? I gave up on
    piles of 3.5" diskettes over 10 years ago, and, as far as I am
    concerned, only an idiot would return to such.

    I advise you, and everyone else, not to act like an idiot.

    > >>Retain old computer as a backup copy. Cycle as you purchase newer computers. You may retain the network

    > cable at your option. Avoid CD. Avoid DVD.<<
    >
    > eawckye's advice works ONLY as long as the new computer has a drive
    > interface circuit which is compatible with the harddrive in the new
    > computer! obviously eawckye has not been around long enough to have
    > experienced the evolution of harddrives from ST-506 thru ESDI thru IDE
    > thru EIDE thru SATA, SCSI thru SCSI-2 thru SCSI-3 etc etc. nor
    > computer buses from ISA thru EISA thru PCI...few of which are ever
    > compatible with one another!

    Well, it's apparently too late for you: yer acting like an idiot.

    The old computer is kept as a backup. You know, the one with the
    required electronics to read whatever the data is stored on? You copy
    from old to new and keep the old until another 'new' comes around.
    Read what I write more carefully, or retain the services of someone who
    can explain the concepts to you in a language you (alone?) understand.

    , Oct 27, 2005