Re: Seeking advice on permanent storage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scott W, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    Jim Garner wrote:
    > I expect I will be changing computers before long, so the stuff I have on
    > my hard disk needs to be stored or backed up somehow.
    >
    > As I understand it, a CD can hold everything I have, but I cannot add to
    > one once I have used it. Zatt so?
    >
    > My hard disk has various pix in various folders so I can find what I want
    > easily. Can I transfer several files in one burn or do I have to
    > consolidate eveything into one file.
    >
    > Do CD burners come with reasonable instructions about how to use them or
    > is the documentation the usual semi-comprehensible babble?
    >

    > --
    > Jim Garner, sage and dogsbody. (filtered, see below).
    > E-mail is filtered out unless subject line includes "GRAN"
    > (613) 526-4786; 759B Springland, Ottawa, ON K1V 6L9 Canada
    > "Buy the steak, not the sizzle"

    Any more I would not bother with a CD burning but go right to a DVD
    burner.
    Unless you have very little on your hard drive it will take a lot of
    CDs to back up all your files, it might even take quite a few DVDs.

    You might also think about an external hard drive, this is easy to use
    depending on what operating system you are currently using.

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Scott W

    ASAAR Guest

    On 26 Oct 2005 15:59:28 -0700, Scott W wrote:

    > Any more I would not bother with a CD burning but go right to a
    > DVD burner. Unless you have very little on your hard drive it will take
    > a lot of CDs to back up all your files, it might even take quite a few DVDs.

    Consider that his current computer may be old and not capable of
    supporting a DVD drive (my computer can't). I often get a spindle
    of 50 blank CDs for about $7, and that should be sufficient to back
    up the data from most old computers. Mine wouldn't need as much as
    a dozen. And if an410 (Jim Garner) is reading this:

    > Do CD burners come with reasonable instructions about
    > how to use them or is the documentation the usual
    > semi-comprehensible babble?

    The documentation that comes with CD burners is mostly about how
    to physically connect and setup the drive. If it gives any
    information about how to use them it will probably be pretty
    limited, and only apply to the bundled software, if any. The
    documentation and help files included with commercial CD/DVD burning
    software should be decent, but if there is any semi-comprehensible
    babble, you could always ask for clarification in a usenet CD
    newsgroup, such as alt.comp.periphs.cdr, and people there may be
    able to suggest easy to use freeware.
    ASAAR, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Scott W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Jim Garner wrote:
    >> I expect I will be changing computers before long, so the stuff I have on
    >> my hard disk needs to be stored or backed up somehow.
    >>
    >> As I understand it, a CD can hold everything I have, but I cannot add to
    >> one once I have used it. Zatt so?
    >>
    >> My hard disk has various pix in various folders so I can find what I want
    >> easily. Can I transfer several files in one burn or do I have to
    >> consolidate eveything into one file.
    >>
    >> Do CD burners come with reasonable instructions about how to use them or
    >> is the documentation the usual semi-comprehensible babble?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Jim Garner, sage and dogsbody. (filtered, see below).
    >> E-mail is filtered out unless subject line includes "GRAN"
    >> (613) 526-4786; 759B Springland, Ottawa, ON K1V 6L9 Canada
    >> "Buy the steak, not the sizzle"

    > Any more I would not bother with a CD burning but go right to a DVD
    > burner.
    > Unless you have very little on your hard drive it will take a lot of
    > CDs to back up all your files, it might even take quite a few DVDs.
    >
    > You might also think about an external hard drive, this is easy to use
    > depending on what operating system you are currently using.
    >
    > Scott

    My approach to a new PC is to connect both to my router, and move
    everything I need to the new computer. Gigabit ethernet adapters are
    quite cheap, and transfers are quite fast that way. I have also used
    Flash cards for the transfers when ethernet connections weren't practical.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Oct 27, 2005