Re: Seeking advice for moonset photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DanP, Jul 21, 2011.

  1. DanP

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
    > exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
    > should I use all the time available, or go faster?

    From my experience the exposure at ISO 100 and f/5 will be around 1/200 sec.
    Your teleconverter may reduce the real aperture, so exposure may increase.
    Don't worry about Moon movement, just about camera shake. Tripod?

    Focus will be an issue, you cannot cover everything at that focal length.

    DanP
    DanP, Jul 21, 2011

  2. DanP

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    DanP <> wrote:
    >On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
    >> exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
    >> should I use all the time available, or go faster?

    >From my experience the exposure at ISO 100 and f/5 will be around 1/200 sec.

    I am a noob as to this f-stop stuff. I understand that smaller apertures
    give you better depth-of-field (pinhole camera effect) but do I understand
    correctly that a small aperture also gives you better resolution with cheap
    lenses? Depth of field is not an issue, as the moon and the mountains are
    both effectively infinity. Chromatic abberation, on the other hand, was
    visible in my previous shot. Does a smaller aperture reduce chromatic
    abberation any?

    >Your teleconverter may reduce the real aperture, so exposure may increase.
    >Don't worry about Moon movement, just about camera shake. Tripod?

    Definately tripod. In fact, I will be shopping for a better tripod head
    this saturday.

    On a previous occasion, I shot the moon (at night) using f/6.3, 1/160 sec.
    and ISO 100, which definately does NOT follow "sunny 16", so the DMW-LT55
    teleconverter probably does mess up the aperture math as you say.

    >Focus will be an issue, you cannot cover everything at that focal length.

    If I can get objects at infinity in focus, that's all I need.

    Paul Ciszek, Jul 21, 2011

  3. DanP

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/21/2011 4:33 AM, DanP wrote:
    > On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:02:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> daylit moonset shot? I figure I could use up to an eighth of a second
    >> exposure and the moon shouldn't have time to move more than one pixel;
    >> should I use all the time available, or go faster?

    > From my experience the exposure at ISO 100 and f/5 will be around 1/200 sec.
    > Your teleconverter may reduce the real aperture, so exposure may increase.
    > Don't worry about Moon movement, just about camera shake. Tripod?
    >
    > Focus will be an issue, you cannot cover everything at that focal length.

    With both Moon and mountain at infinity?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 22, 2011