Re: Seeing Red

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Dudley
    Hanks <> wrote:

    > A few days ago, I was playing around with the custom white balance feature
    > on my XSi, trying to come up with something that worked under streetlights
    > at night.
    >
    > When I was done, I forgot to set the white balance back to auto from custom.
    >
    > Then, I took a few pics of a local bridge yesterday, in the evening, and
    > still did not set the white balance back to auto, nor did I set another
    > custom balance for the prevailing light conditions.
    >
    > Needless to say, viewing the pic with the white balance as shot yields a
    > rather strong colour cast. But, it was my understanding that this is an
    > easy fix in Adobe.
    >
    > However, when I loaded the pic into Adobe's Camera RAW and tried to select a
    > more appropriate balance, like sunny or cloudy, the image ends up with a
    > rather crazy red cast.
    >
    > Even manually moving the temperature and tint sliders around doesn't seem to
    > get rid of the problem, or so I've been told.
    >
    > Just wondering if any of you gurus out there can determine whether this is a
    > camera problem, an Adobe problem, or just some kind of freak one-off
    > problem...
    >
    > Here's the RAW image: http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/TestPic.cr2

    i opened it in camera raw, picked auto for a white balance and it looks
    normal. there is no red cast, the grass is green and it looks quite
    acceptable.

    choosing the cloudy preset looks even better. adjusting it further can
    make it a little better but at that point the difference is minor and a
    matter of taste anyway.

    that's the beauty of raw. you can white balance *after* you take the
    photo. the white balance set in the camera does not matter.
    nospam, Jun 24, 2013

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Dudley
    Hanks <> wrote:

    > As it turns out, somehow the clipping warning was turned on, and the "red
    > colour cast" was just Adobe's way of telling me where the clipping is.

    and since your sky is clipped, there were large areas of pure red.
    nospam, Jun 24, 2013