Re: Security Research Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by johns, May 2, 2005.

  1. johns

    johns Guest

    I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    or engineering? If your job depended on productivity,
    which OS would you rather have? Which OS has the
    best applications associated with it. Which OS is founded
    on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    that? These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    these standards.

    johns
    johns, May 2, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. johns wrote:

    > I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    > You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    > examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    > project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    > Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    > or engineering? If your job depended on productivity,
    > which OS would you rather have? Which OS has the
    > best applications associated with it. Which OS is founded
    > on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    > that? These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    > Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    > these standards.


    ....Sorry, but I use both (at home and at work) and I totally disagree with
    your statements....is it that you are just a troll trying to start a flame
    war? Probably...

    > johns


    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
    Michael Pelletier, May 2, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. From: "Michael Pelletier" <>

    | johns wrote:
    |
    >> I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    >> You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    >> examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    >> project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    >> Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    >> or engineering? If your job depended on productivity,
    >> which OS would you rather have? Which OS has the
    >> best applications associated with it. Which OS is founded
    >> on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    >> that? These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    >> Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    >> these standards.

    |
    | ...Sorry, but I use both (at home and at work) and I totally disagree with
    | your statements....is it that you are just a troll trying to start a flame
    | war? Probably...
    |
    >> johns

    |
    | Michael
    | --
    |
    | "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    | Linus Torvald

    No matter how you slice it, the Word Document should NOT have been posted here since this is
    a discussion group, not a binaries group.

    Now if this was the News Group; alt.binaries.computer.security
    It would be a different matter, but it isn't. The first thing Gator needs to learn (funny
    he chose the name of a well known spyware application) is to respect the FAQ and/or Charter
    of News Groups and the responsibility of the al,* or alt.binaries.* hierarchies and what
    both are for.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, May 2, 2005
    #3
  4. johns

    johns Guest

    Actually, you are a typical dumbass who can't tell data
    from opinion. I can prove what I say in detailed
    statistics .. and so could a well written questionaire.
    A tool like that just might put an end to the Linux issue
    once and for all. The useful apps alone gives Microsoft
    Windows an advantage of over 1000 to 1, and that
    is documented fact. Productivity in the job market is
    many orders of magnitude greater than Linux. Linux is
    so second rate, that even the hackers ignore it. It is not
    worth vandalizing because nobody uses it for anything
    worthwhile. It is just a toy.

    johns
    johns, May 3, 2005
    #4
  5. johns

    johns Guest

    Gee. Another power head trying to sound intelligent.
    Finish your homework. Quit cutting class. Sit up straight
    and eat your vegetables. Leave Gator to do his high
    school project. At least he is trying.

    johns
    johns, May 3, 2005
    #5
  6. David H. Lipman, May 3, 2005
    #6
  7. johns

    Ashp Guest

    johns wrote:

    > I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    > You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    > examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    > project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    > Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    > or engineering? If your job depended on productivity,
    > which OS would you rather have? Which OS has the
    > best applications associated with it. Which OS is founded
    > on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    > that? These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    > Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    > these standards.


    I like the way somebody who doesn't know what Linux is can criticize it.
    Linux is *not* an operating system, but I guess thats a little too hard
    for a Outlook Express user to understand?

    Ash.
    Ashp, May 3, 2005
    #7
  8. johns

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 2 May 2005 23:17:13 -0700, "johns" <>
    wrote:

    >Linux is so second rate, that even the hackers ignore it.


    How strange that IBM promote its use on servers.

    Hackers are more interested in soft targets, like outlook
    express.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, May 3, 2005
    #8
  9. johns

    Gator Guest

    I am a college student working on a research paper that I am writing for my
    Research Methods class. I am not trying to start any wars or crap like
    that. All I am trying to do is get a feel about how people feel about the
    security on Windows and Linux computers. Obviously the people in this
    newsgroup are nothing but little people who think be-littling a college
    student trying to do their work makes them a big person. To all of you who
    are these types of people you are real assholes. I posted this in another
    group and got very good responses. I guess that was because the other group
    was a Linux newsgroup and I have found that people who use Linux are more
    than willing to help another person.
    To those of you who gave me good responses I an truly grateful. To the rest
    of you kiss my ass!
    "Michael Pelletier" <> wrote in message
    news:r6lde.10116$_K.9127@fed1read03...
    > johns wrote:
    >
    > > I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    > > You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    > > examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    > > project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    > > Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    > > or engineering? If your job depended on productivity,
    > > which OS would you rather have? Which OS has the
    > > best applications associated with it. Which OS is founded
    > > on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    > > that? These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    > > Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    > > these standards.

    >
    > ...Sorry, but I use both (at home and at work) and I totally disagree with
    > your statements....is it that you are just a troll trying to start a flame
    > war? Probably...
    >
    > > johns

    >
    > Michael
    > --
    >
    > "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    > Linus Torvald
    >
    Gator, May 4, 2005
    #9
  10. From: "Gator" <>

    |
    | I am a college student working on a research paper that I am writing for my
    | Research Methods class. I am not trying to start any wars or crap like
    | that. All I am trying to do is get a feel about how people feel about the
    | security on Windows and Linux computers. Obviously the people in this
    | newsgroup are nothing but little people who think be-littling a college
    | student trying to do their work makes them a big person. To all of you who
    | are these types of people you are real assholes. I posted this in another
    | group and got very good responses. I guess that was because the other group
    | was a Linux newsgroup and I have found that people who use Linux are more
    | than willing to help another person.
    | To those of you who gave me good responses I an truly grateful. To the rest
    | of you kiss my ass!


    Did you post an attachment in a discussion only News Group there as well ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, May 4, 2005
    #10
  11. johns wrote:

    > Actually, you are a typical dumbass who can't tell data
    > from opinion. I can prove what I say in detailed
    > statistics .. and so could a well written questionaire.
    > A tool like that just might put an end to the Linux issue
    > once and for all. The useful apps alone gives Microsoft
    > Windows an advantage of over 1000 to 1, and that
    > is documented fact. Productivity in the job market is
    > many orders of magnitude greater than Linux. Linux is
    > so second rate, that even the hackers ignore it. It is not
    > worth vandalizing because nobody uses it for anything
    > worthwhile. It is just a toy.
    >
    > johns


    You need a "tool". How about getting off your ass and getting experience.
    Ah, I guess you need everything spoon fed to you...

    Come back when you can talk about real World expierence. Come back when you
    have used both with great expertise...untill then, I view you a just
    another meathead tryng to start a flame war...

    ....you're a worthless tool...`nuf said.

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald

    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
    Michael Pelletier, May 4, 2005
    #11
  12. David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "johns" <>
    >
    > | Gee. Another power head trying to sound intelligent.
    > | Finish your homework. Quit cutting class. Sit up straight
    > | and eat your vegetables. Leave Gator to do his high
    > | school project. At least he is trying.
    > |
    > | johns
    > |
    >
    > Trying and doing are two different things.
    >



    ....trying and succeeding, yet another.

    Michael
    --

    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
    Michael Pelletier, May 4, 2005
    #12
  13. OK, you say you are a college student, and not a troll, so I will answer
    some of your questions...

    johns wrote:

    > I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    > You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    > examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    > project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    > Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    > or engineering?


    First define "useful". It is a measure of time to task. Expense per task?
    Ease of task?

    I use MS (2003, XP) and Red Hat at work. I use ONLY FreeBSD at home. I do
    quite well and both realms. I have moved away from the MS World 8 months
    ago and have not missed a beat. I can do everything I did before and more.

    > If your job depended on productivity,
    > which OS would you rather have?


    I use both and there are no differences for me. I use the MS office suite on
    Windose and the Open Office suite in Linux/FreeBSD. Both are very good.
    Both work quite well.

    > Which OS has the
    > best applications associated with it.


    Depends on what "types" you mean. Games then Windows. Security then
    linux/FreeBSD. You have to remember that any application can be written for
    any operating system. It is a matter of expense for the company that writes
    it. Also, if MS did not try to kill java on there platforms, gee not too
    intentional, you would have the same apps on all systems.

    > Which OS is founded
    > on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    > that?


    Which learning style do you mean? Based on what? I first learned on MS (DOS
    2.somthing) then went to college and had to learn UNIX. My degree is in
    Software Engineering and the professors felt that UNIX was a much better OS
    to program in because it supported almost all of the operating system and
    programming paradigms and, as such, was a better teaching tool. After a
    while I go so used to UNIX that I have always used it since. Again your
    question is to vague.

    > These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    > Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    > these standards.


    Now you are showing you are an idiot. You make vague questions and then say
    UNIX fails? Do you ever have a clue about what you are talking about? I
    think you need more library time...

    > johns



    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
    Michael Pelletier, May 4, 2005
    #13
  14. Michael Pelletier wrote:

    > OK, you say you are a college student, and not a troll, so I will answer
    > some of your questions...
    >
    > johns wrote:
    >
    >> I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    >> You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    >> examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    >> project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    >> Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    >> or engineering?

    >
    > First define "useful". It is a measure of time to task. Expense per task?
    > Ease of task?
    >
    > I use MS (2003, XP) and Red Hat at work. I use ONLY FreeBSD at home. I do
    > quite well and both realms. I have moved away from the MS World 8 months
    > ago and have not missed a beat. I can do everything I did before and more.


    Ah, I almost forgot. At work *ALL* of my DMZ servers are either RED HAT or
    FreeBSD...They are heavily modified versions of both...

    >
    >> If your job depended on productivity,
    >> which OS would you rather have?

    >
    > I use both and there are no differences for me. I use the MS office suite
    > on Windose and the Open Office suite in Linux/FreeBSD. Both are very good.
    > Both work quite well.
    >
    >> Which OS has the
    >> best applications associated with it.

    >
    > Depends on what "types" you mean. Games then Windows. Security then
    > linux/FreeBSD. You have to remember that any application can be written
    > for any operating system. It is a matter of expense for the company that
    > writes it. Also, if MS did not try to kill java on there platforms, gee
    > not too intentional, you would have the same apps on all systems.
    >
    >> Which OS is founded
    >> on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    >> that?

    >
    > Which learning style do you mean? Based on what? I first learned on MS
    > (DOS 2.somthing) then went to college and had to learn UNIX. My degree is
    > in Software Engineering and the professors felt that UNIX was a much
    > better OS to program in because it supported almost all of the operating
    > system and programming paradigms and, as such, was a better teaching tool.
    > After a while I go so used to UNIX that I have always used it since. Again
    > your question is to vague.
    >
    >> These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    >> Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    >> these standards.

    >
    > Now you are showing you are an idiot. You make vague questions and then
    > say UNIX fails? Do you ever have a clue about what you are talking about?
    > I think you need more library time...
    >
    >> johns

    >
    >
    > Michael


    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/
    Michael Pelletier, May 4, 2005
    #14
  15. johns

    John Hyde Guest

    On 5/3/2005 9:36 PM, Michael Pelletier wrote:
    > OK, you say you are a college student, and not a troll, so I will answer
    > some of your questions...
    >
    > johns wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    >>You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    >>examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    >>project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    >>Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    >>or engineering?


    I Think Gator said he was a college student. Not "johns" Johns is a troll.

    Mr. Hyde's real short dictionary:

    TROLL (n) 1. Hairy and somewhat stupid creature lurking under bridges
    frightening small children and attempting to lure small billy goat's
    gruff down to their level to be eaten.
    2. Hairy and somewhat stupid creature lurking on the Internet
    frightening newbies and attempting to lure otherwise intelligent
    productive people down to their level . . .

    PLONK (n) onomatopoeia 1. The sound of Trolls being butted into the
    river by the Big Billy Goats Gruff. (syn) plunk.
    2. Same as (1.) for Internet referent, but without sound.* (syn) Killfile.

    * Remember, in cyberspace, no-one can hear you Plonk.

    ;-)

    John
    John Hyde, May 5, 2005
    #15
  16. John Hyde wrote:

    > On 5/3/2005 9:36 PM, Michael Pelletier wrote:
    >> OK, you say you are a college student, and not a troll, so I will answer
    >> some of your questions...
    >>
    >> johns wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    >>>You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    >>>examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    >>>project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    >>>Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    >>>or engineering?

    >
    > I Think Gator said he was a college student. Not "johns" Johns is a
    > troll.

    <snip>

    Ah, I thought someone said he was...oh well...

    > PLONK (n) onomatopoeia 1. The sound of Trolls being butted into the
    > river by the Big Billy Goats Gruff. (syn) plunk.
    > 2. Same as (1.) for Internet referent, but without sound.* (syn) Killfile.
    >
    > * Remember, in cyberspace, no-one can hear you Plonk.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > John


    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/
    Michael Pelletier, May 5, 2005
    #16
  17. johns

    c0ntex Guest

    Actually, you are the dumb ass. Dumb ass.

    regards
    c0ntex
    c0ntex, May 6, 2005
    #17
  18. johns wrote:

    > Actually, you are a typical dumbass who can't tell data
    > from opinion. I can prove what I say in detailed
    > statistics .. and so could a well written questionaire.
    > A tool like that just might put an end to the Linux issue
    > once and for all. The useful apps alone gives Microsoft
    > Windows an advantage of over 1000 to 1, and that
    > is documented fact. Productivity in the job market is
    > many orders of magnitude greater than Linux. Linux is
    > so second rate, that even the hackers ignore it. It is not
    > worth vandalizing because nobody uses it for anything
    > worthwhile. It is just a toy.
    >
    > johns


    ....second that you're a dumbass...

    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/
    Michael Pelletier, May 6, 2005
    #18
  19. johns wrote:

    > I think your questionaire is too general to be useful.
    > You'll get opinions, but they won't provide you with
    > examples or useful data. I think a more useful research
    > project would be to look at the issue of usefulness.
    > Which OS is more useful in the workplace, or research,
    > or engineering? If your job depended on productivity,
    > which OS would you rather have? Which OS has the
    > best applications associated with it. Which OS is founded
    > on the best learning style ... and which learning style is
    > that? These are the types of questions nobody is asking.
    > Probably because Linux fails in every single one of
    > these standards.
    >
    > johns


    ....tell that to Google, Amazon.com, IBM and Walmart....they are doing quite
    well with linux thank you.

    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/
    Michael Pelletier, May 7, 2005
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JaR
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    437
  2. Gary - US
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    601
    Gary - US
    Sep 21, 2003
  3. Brendon Rogers
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    698
    Andy Foster
    Sep 20, 2003
  4. JaR
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    521
  5. Gary - US
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    542
    Gary - US
    Sep 21, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page