Re: SeaTools FREE disk utility from Seagate - go get it!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Jack, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:26 +0100, Linker3000
    <> wrote:

    >If you haven't come across SeaTools then hop over to Seagate and
    >download a FREE copy - you can make a two-floppy disk set that boots
    >into some useful disk diagnostic and repair utilities for ANY make of
    >disk, not just Seagate.

    That's very nice, but having booted up using the floppy disk, what
    next? It comes up with a DOS prompt and a blank screen.
    There's just a few .COM files, no EXE files, no suggestion of anything
    like help or a menu.

    Jack, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Jack

    Linker3000 Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:26 +0100, Linker3000
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>If you haven't come across SeaTools then hop over to Seagate and
    >>download a FREE copy - you can make a two-floppy disk set that boots
    >>into some useful disk diagnostic and repair utilities for ANY make of
    >>disk, not just Seagate.

    > That's very nice, but having booted up using the floppy disk, what
    > next? It comes up with a DOS prompt and a blank screen.
    > There's just a few .COM files, no EXE files, no suggestion of anything
    > like help or a menu.

    If it doesn't boot into a menu then you probably have a corrupt diskette
    - maybe you reused some old ones? This happened to me the first time I
    made the diskettes and I redid a new set and they worked fine.

    L3K

    Linker3000, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:07:37 +0000 (UTC), Linker3000
    <> wrote:

    >Jack wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:26 +0100, Linker3000
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you haven't come across SeaTools then hop over to Seagate and
    >>>download a FREE copy - you can make a two-floppy disk set that boots
    >>>into some useful disk diagnostic and repair utilities for ANY make of
    >>>disk, not just Seagate.

    >> That's very nice, but having booted up using the floppy disk, what
    >> next? It comes up with a DOS prompt and a blank screen.
    >> There's just a few .COM files, no EXE files, no suggestion of anything
    >> like help or a menu.
    >>

    >If it doesn't boot into a menu then you probably have a corrupt diskette
    >- maybe you reused some old ones? This happened to me the first time I
    >made the diskettes and I redid a new set and they worked fine.

    Thank you, you are correct. I have used new diskettes and I now get a
    menu. Strange that there were no errors displayed in the creation of
    the original diskettes, and that the boot disk appeared to be doing
    something and didn't display any error messages.

    Jack, Jun 29, 2004