Re: Searching for a prog or 3

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ragnar, Aug 9, 2012.

  1. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    "Loony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello again Experts :)
    >
    > I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got deleted.
    > I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >
    > Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >


    If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be in your
    recycle bin.
    If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they will
    not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility to find
    them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    HTH
    R.
     
    Ragnar, Aug 9, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ragnar

    Loony Guest

    On 09/08/2012 14:04, Ragnar wrote:
    > "Loony"<> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Hello again Experts :)
    >>
    >> I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got deleted.
    >> I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >>
    >> Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >>

    >
    > If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be in your
    > recycle bin.
    > If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they will
    > not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility to find
    > them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    > HTH
    > R.


    Right on the button Ragnar. Thank you :)
     
    Loony, Aug 9, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ragnar

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > On 09/08/2012 14:04, Ragnar wrote:
    >> "Loony"<> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got
    >>> deleted.
    >>> I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >>>
    >>> Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >>>

    >>
    >> If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be in
    >> your
    >> recycle bin.
    >> If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they will
    >> not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility to find
    >> them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    >> HTH
    >> R.

    >
    > Right on the button Ragnar. Thank you :)
    >


    You can try Photorec. But it probably doesn't work the way other undelete
    programs would. I tested it once, and it worked. Like a lot of programs
    like this, it can dig up a *lot* of irrelevant things, including the
    files you actually want.

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

    On the partition containing the deleted files, you should avoid writes
    to the partition, until this data recovery is done. For example, if
    you're scanning C: for deleted JPG files, you'd write the
    scavenged results to D:. You don't want anything written to C:,
    because once a file is "deleted", it could then be overwritten
    by the save operation of another file. So there is a risk, of the
    3 files you deleted, one of them could get overwritten. There are
    many file operations on the C: drive that would not be under your
    control, and perhaps it would only be a matter of time until those
    deleted JPGs were overwritten and unrecoverable.

    So, good luck. Recovering deleted files comes with no guarantee
    of success. The more control you have over the situation (like,
    JPGs were on a "quiet" data partition), the better the odds of
    recovery.

    And if they were still sitting in the Recycle Bin, that's what
    the Recycle Bin is for. To give you one last chance to stop yourself from
    deleting something valuable.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Aug 9, 2012
    #3
  4. "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    news:WzOUr.636542$4...
    >
    > "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Hello again Experts :)
    >>
    >> I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got deleted.
    >> I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >>
    >> Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >>

    >
    > If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be in
    > your recycle bin.
    > If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they will
    > not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility to find
    > them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    > HTH
    > R.
    >


    I gotta double check, but I believe that anything that is deleted will go to
    the recycle bin. Having said that, just the name of the file will go there,
    not the actual file.

    When something is deleted, all that happens is the space that is marked as
    occupied is marked as not occupied, the recycle bin makes a list of space
    that it has recently marked as not occupied, no matter where it is, but
    recovery FROM the recycle bin would require the memory media to be present
    else the marker can not be reset to show the space as occupied.

    But in any case, if the deleted files are on any media, the hard disk or a
    removable media of some sort, then file recovery software is probably needed
    to get the file back if the recycle bin has been emptied.

    I can't remember what happened the last time I deleted a file from removable
    media. I'm thinking the recycle bin keeps track of it and offers a Restore
    File option. Everything in my recycle bin at this moment all came from Drive
    C.
     
    Jeff Strickland, Aug 9, 2012
    #4
  5. Ragnar

    Loony Guest

    On 09/08/2012 18:48, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    > "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    > news:WzOUr.636542$4...
    >>
    >> "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got
    >>> deleted. I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >>>
    >>> Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >>>

    >>
    >> If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be in
    >> your recycle bin.
    >> If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they
    >> will not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility
    >> to find them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    >> HTH
    >> R.
    >>

    >
    > I gotta double check, but I believe that anything that is deleted will
    > go to the recycle bin. Having said that, just the name of the file will
    > go there, not the actual file.


    Not true. I deleted the three files and all went into the Recycle bin.
    All 3 came out intact.

    > When something is deleted, all that happens is the space that is marked
    > as occupied is marked as not occupied, the recycle bin makes a list of
    > space that it has recently marked as not occupied, no matter where it
    > is, but recovery FROM the recycle bin would require the memory media to
    > be present else the marker can not be reset to show the space as occupied.
    >
    > But in any case, if the deleted files are on any media, the hard disk or
    > a removable media of some sort, then file recovery software is probably
    > needed to get the file back if the recycle bin has been emptied.
    >
    > I can't remember what happened the last time I deleted a file from
    > removable media. I'm thinking the recycle bin keeps track of it and
    > offers a Restore File option. Everything in my recycle bin at this
    > moment all came from Drive C.
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Loony, Aug 10, 2012
    #5
  6. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 09/08/2012 18:48, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    >> news:WzOUr.636542$4...
    >>>
    >>> "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>>
    >>>> I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got
    >>>> deleted. I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >>>>
    >>>> Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be in
    >>> your recycle bin.
    >>> If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they
    >>> will not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility
    >>> to find them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    >>> HTH
    >>> R.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I gotta double check, but I believe that anything that is deleted will
    >> go to the recycle bin. Having said that, just the name of the file will
    >> go there, not the actual file.

    >
    > Not true. I deleted the three files and all went into the Recycle bin.
    > All 3 came out intact.
    >


    The recycle bin is just a list of files that are flagged to be deleted.
    Anything that is "in" the recycle bin is just a file name and the location.
    When you delete a file, the recycle bin gets an entry. When the recycle bin
    is emptied, then the file names in the list are set to be deleted.

    When a file is written, it takes space that no other file can also use. The
    space is defined in a header that you cannot see or do anything about, but
    when another file comes along looking for a place to reside, the information
    in the header tells it that it cannot reside here and that it must keep
    looking for a place to live. When a file is deleted, all that happens is
    that the header is removed so that a new file coming along can reside on
    that space -- obvioulsy the new file overwrites the old file. The new file
    sets the header space so that the next new file that comes along will not
    reside on the same space.

    When a file goes to the recycle bin, all that happens is that the recycle
    bin makes a list of files that are allowed to have the header rewritten so
    that the space can be made available to new files. As long as the recycle
    bin shows a file, that file is not gone and the space cannot be used by
    another file. When the recycle bin is emptied, then the file space can be
    written over by a new file. Until the recycle bin is empty, all files that
    are flagged in it are held as whole, and they can be restored. Simply double
    click an entry that is in the recycle bin, and the file will be restored,
    that is the file will not be flagged for deletion anymore.

    So, you put something into the recycle bin that you later restored. Big
    deal. The trick, and the question you asked, is how to recover a file AFTER
    the recycle bin has been emptied. That is more of a chore.

    If your question was how to find something in the recycle bin, then I
    apologize, I thought you were smarter than that.
     
    Jeff Strickland, Aug 10, 2012
    #6
  7. Ragnar

    Loony Guest

    On 09/08/2012 16:15, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >> On 09/08/2012 14:04, Ragnar wrote:
    >>> "Loony"<> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>>
    >>>> I had 8 .jpgs of about 200K size. Three of them accidentally got
    >>>> deleted.
    >>>> I spent a few hours searching for the 3 and failed.
    >>>>
    >>>> Please advise. I am too exhausted to continue :-(
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> If they were on your hard drive and you hit 'delete' they should be
    >>> in your
    >>> recycle bin.
    >>> If they were on removeable media such as CD-RW or USB pen-drive they
    >>> will
    >>> not be in the recycle bin and you will need an Undelete utility to find
    >>> them. Search Google for a freeware one.
    >>> HTH
    >>> R.

    >>
    >> Right on the button Ragnar. Thank you :)
    >>

    >
    > You can try Photorec. But it probably doesn't work the way other undelete
    > programs would. I tested it once, and it worked. Like a lot of programs
    > like this, it can dig up a *lot* of irrelevant things, including the
    > files you actually want.
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    >
    > On the partition containing the deleted files, you should avoid writes
    > to the partition, until this data recovery is done. For example, if
    > you're scanning C: for deleted JPG files, you'd write the
    > scavenged results to D:. You don't want anything written to C:,
    > because once a file is "deleted", it could then be overwritten
    > by the save operation of another file. So there is a risk, of the
    > 3 files you deleted, one of them could get overwritten. There are
    > many file operations on the C: drive that would not be under your
    > control, and perhaps it would only be a matter of time until those
    > deleted JPGs were overwritten and unrecoverable.
    >
    > So, good luck. Recovering deleted files comes with no guarantee
    > of success. The more control you have over the situation (like,
    > JPGs were on a "quiet" data partition), the better the odds of
    > recovery.
    >
    > And if they were still sitting in the Recycle Bin, that's what
    > the Recycle Bin is for. To give you one last chance to stop yourself from
    > deleting something valuable.
    >
    > Paul


    Very interesting Paul. I'll make a copy of that information.
    Have a great weekend :)
     
    Loony, Aug 11, 2012
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. NetSaver
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    537
    NetSaver
    Aug 6, 2004
  2. hooter

    outlook as default mail prog

    hooter, Aug 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    444
    °Mike°
    Aug 2, 2003
  3. Boomer

    Re: XP: Fax and Zipping Prog's Quest's ?

    Boomer, Aug 13, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    441
    Boomer
    Aug 13, 2003
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    991
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Re: Searching for a prog or 3

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 9, 2012, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    532
    Jeff Strickland
    Aug 9, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page