Re: Seagate Freeagent question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bert Hyman, Mar 16, 2010.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns9D3D6266171F7DevilsAdvocatedevils@216.196.97.142
    "Devil's_Advocate" <Devils_Advocate@devils_.xyx> wrote:

    > Andy <nospam@> wrote :
    >
    >> Devil's_Advocate wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm in the market for a Freeagent drive for backup only.
    >>>
    >>> At USB 2 transfer rates, will it make ANY speed difference whether I
    >>> get 5400 or 7200 RPM?

    >> Probably not noticeably. The 5400 should use slightly less power.
    >>
    >> If the drive is purely for backups, do you really care how long the
    >> data takes to transfer anyway?
    >>

    > Well yeah, I'd rather it take 20 minutes than 45, for example.

    I didn't see anything in Seagate's specs that show anything specific
    about what's inside the various models.

    I have a 1TB desk model connected via USB2, and use Acronis "True Image
    Home 2009" in image mode to do backups. Here's the timing for the past
    few backups:

    254GB full backup - 5 hours
    752MB incremental - 1.5 hours
    17GB incremental - 1.5 hours
    8.5GB incremental - 0.5 hours
    780MB incremental - 0.5 hours

    As you can see, the times don't seem to have much to do with the simple
    size of the backup, but probably are much more affected by the overhead
    of examining the directories to see what's going to get backed up.

    The machine was otherwise completely idle when these backups were
    performed.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Mar 16, 2010