Re: SD/SDHC and Micro SD w/Adapter Performance vs SDHC card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NameHere, Mar 27, 2010.

  1. NameHere

    NameHere Guest

    On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:42:38 -0700, Mike Russell
    <> wrote:

    >On 25 Mar 2010 05:51:41 GMT, <Sam> wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering if there is any performace difference in using a
    >> micro SDHC card in a digital P&S camera that requires a full sized
    >> SDHC card?

    >No difference at all.

    Wrong.

    I found that cards rated at the same speed between SDHC and Micro-SDHC can
    be quite a bit slower for write-speed in the Micro-SDHC package. I'm not
    sure why though. You would think they'd both use the same chip just in a
    different package. Perhaps they think that because most of them will be
    used in MP3 players and cell-phones that write speed is not a top priority
    for those devices.

    There are some micro vs. standard SDHC benchmark tests on the following
    page, though not in any easy-to read order. You'll have to find and compare
    those which are tested under similar camera OS and CPU platforms to remove
    those as being speed-test variables: Digic II, III, or IV (VxWorks vs.
    DryOS OS's, Digic II is always VxWorks, Digic III can be either, and Digic
    IV is DryOS.)

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Benchmarks

    See this page to sort out which platform is which

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers

    Some enterprising OCD sufferer might want to make another list with further
    cross-reference comparisons just to card type rather than camera type. This
    is perhaps the best SDHC benchmark test page on the net because these are
    all tested right in the cameras with an in-camera benchmark utility. There
    is no card-reader, USB port, or operating system bottleneck to taint the
    tests. Other than the camera's own OS and CPU bottleneck, that is. In any
    case these are tested how well they perform right in a camera, where it
    matters, not on your computer.

    It would be so nice if you pretend-photographer trolls would type from
    actual hands-on experience with all these things instead of imagined
    fabrications and untested beliefs from what you read elsewhere on the net.
    But then that's quite impossible for role-playing pretend-photographers who
    can only make wild extrapolations from incomplete information, isn't it.

    NameHere, Mar 27, 2010