Re: sd card recovery

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, May 4, 2010.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ronald Ray Gun" <> wrote in message
    > I have an 8gig SDHC card where the metal tabs have become slightly
    > corroded from a liquid spill I suppose. Is there any way of retrieving
    > the data on it and moving that data to another drive?

    Ronald

    If you can see corrosion it probably means the liquid has corroded the
    underlying base metal rather than the gold plating on top.
    In those circumstances there is a good chance the liquid seeped down into
    the leads going inside to the circuit board and corroded them in a part you
    can't see.

    The only way to find out is to open the SD card and examine it with a
    magnifying glass.
    What you do after that depends on what you find.

    If the break is small and accessible you may be able to bridge it with a
    small drop of solder or special conductive silver paint.
    Alternatively if you have the tools you could remove the chips from the
    circuit board and resolder them onto a SD card board of the same
    model/make/batch.

    Your ability / need to go to these extreme's however depends very much on
    your skill level / tools / desire to get the contents of the SD card back.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 4, 2010

  2. PeeCee