Re: Scott Linstead's high-speed photographs capture creatures frozen in time

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Russ D, Jul 21, 2010.

  1. Russ D

    Russ D Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...ographs-capture-creatures-frozen-in-time.html

    What a shame. So many images ruined by too shallow DOF and eye-offending
    artificial lighting. I shoot many macro images of small insects in flight
    in available light alone, handheld, without all that DOF blur and garish
    fake lighting. I was just browsing through one folder of mine where in only
    one afternoon I amassed about 150 tight macro shots of bees hovering near
    their intended flower-targets. And who hasn't shot a bird coming in for a
    landing before? Or similarly a crane flipping a fish into the air and
    capturing a shot of it just before the catch. Or an osprey making its
    catch. He spent FOUR DAYS to get that shot of the osprey making its catch?
    I got about 15 like that in 2 hours one casual afternoon by just sitting
    around where some ospreys were fishing, no elaborate camouflage hide
    required. (One was especially clumsy and kept dropping his catch, no doubt
    a juvenile learning its trade.) The osprey could have cared less if I was
    there, they were focused on getting their dinners. This guy's just a
    talentless tech-head cityboy hack. ZERO talent.

    Totally unimpressed.

    Russ D, Jul 21, 2010

  2. Russ D

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jul 21, 5:33 pm, Russ D <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/7902773/Scott-...

    > What a shame. So many images ruined by too shallow DOF and eye-offending
    > artificial lighting. I shoot many macro images of small insects in flight
    > in available light alone, handheld, without all that DOF blur and garish
    > fake lighting. I was just browsing through one folder of mine where in only
    > one afternoon I amassed about 150 tight macro shots of bees hovering near
    > their intended flower-targets. And who hasn't shot a bird coming in for a
    > landing before? Or similarly a crane flipping a fish into the air and
    > capturing a shot of it just before the catch. Or an osprey making its
    > catch. He spent FOUR DAYS to get that shot of the osprey making its catch?
    > I got about 15 like that in 2 hours one casual afternoon by just sitting
    > around where some ospreys were fishing, no elaborate camouflage hide
    > required. (One was especially clumsy and kept dropping his catch, no doubt
    > a juvenile learning its trade.) The osprey could have cared less if I was
    > there, they were focused on getting their dinners. This guy's just a
    > talentless tech-head cityboy hack. ZERO talent.
    >
    > Totally unimpressed.

    I think some of them are pretty cool. The fact that he did most of
    them in a studio is, IMO, kind of strange but pretty impressive for
    the technical side of it. Not that you would bother, but would you be
    able to set up some of those shots?

    Nervous Nick, Jul 22, 2010

  3. Russ D

    Russ D Guest

    Re: Scott Linstead's high-speed photographs capture creatures frozen in time

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:27:58 -0700 (PDT), Nervous Nick
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 5:33 pm, Russ D <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/7902773/Scott-...

    >> What a shame. So many images ruined by too shallow DOF and eye-offending
    >> artificial lighting. I shoot many macro images of small insects in flight
    >> in available light alone, handheld, without all that DOF blur and garish
    >> fake lighting. I was just browsing through one folder of mine where in only
    >> one afternoon I amassed about 150 tight macro shots of bees hovering near
    >> their intended flower-targets. And who hasn't shot a bird coming in for a
    >> landing before? Or similarly a crane flipping a fish into the air and
    >> capturing a shot of it just before the catch. Or an osprey making its
    >> catch. He spent FOUR DAYS to get that shot of the osprey making its catch?
    >> I got about 15 like that in 2 hours one casual afternoon by just sitting
    >> around where some ospreys were fishing, no elaborate camouflage hide
    >> required. (One was especially clumsy and kept dropping his catch, no doubt
    >> a juvenile learning its trade.) The osprey could have cared less if I was
    >> there, they were focused on getting their dinners. This guy's just a
    >> talentless tech-head cityboy hack. ZERO talent.
    >>
    >> Totally unimpressed.

    >I think some of them are pretty cool. The fact that he did most of
    >them in a studio is, IMO, kind of strange but pretty impressive for
    >the technical side of it. Not that you would bother, but would you be
    >able to set up some of those shots?

    Easily. But the more important question is, why on earth would I or anyone
    want to? When I can get much better images using available light alone
    outside of any contrived artificial setting.

    You people are easily entertained and amused by tech-head bullshit.

    Russ D, Jul 22, 2010
  4. "rwalker" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:33:29 -0500, Russ D <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>ng. I shoot many macro images of small insects in flight
    >>in available lig

    > You're a waste of organic chemistry.

    Killfile it, and don't feed it by any form of reply. Please, for all our
    sakes.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 22, 2010
  5. Re: Scott Linstead's high-speed photographs capture creatures frozen in time

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 03:43:58 -0500, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 02:00:57 -0500, Russ D wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:44:54 -0500, Russ D <>
    >> wrote:

    >Scott-...

    >>>Easily. But the more important question is, why on earth would I or
    >>>anyone want to? When I can get much better images using available light
    >>>alone outside of any contrived artificial setting.
    >>>
    >>>You people are easily entertained and amused by tech-head bullshit.

    >> In case you doubt, here's an example of a tight macro shot of an insect
    >> in flight taken with a hand-held camera with flash. The ONLY time I'll
    >> make an exception for available light is for nocturnal species where
    >> there is no time where you can capture them with available light. No
    >> electronic triggers or other tech-head crap required. Just skill and
    >> talent.
    >>
    >> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4817084851_5b403f812f_b.jpg>
    >>
    >> Oh, did I forget to mention this was also taken with a 2002 year model
    >> of SLOW SHUTTER-LAG superzoom P&S camera that doesn't even have image
    >> stabilization too?
    >>
    >> Thought you might like to know that.
    >>
    >> So don't any of you crapshooting trolls give me any bullshit that I
    >> don't know what I'm talking about.
    >>
    >> Haven't any you ever heard of the word "talent" before? Of course not.
    >> It's not a label on any of your camera buttons nor in the index of your
    >> camera manuals.

    >So this is your excuse for showing a shot that is much less appealling
    >than the ones you are complaining about.

    So this is your excuse of being unable to show either?

    Ain't you heard yet? Dimwit. I *NEVER* post any marketable shots to the
    net.

    ****, are you ever a dense and useless **** of a TROLL.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 22, 2010
  6. Russ D

    Peter Guest

    "Outing Trolls is FUN!" <> wrote in message

    > Ain't you heard yet? Dimwit. I *NEVER* post any marketable shots to the
    > net.

    We agree on that. My odds making instincts tells me that you have taken few,
    if any marketable shots.

    --
    Peter
    (slightly bored this morning)

    Peter, Jul 22, 2010
  7. Russ D

    LOL! Guest

    Re: Scott Linstead's high-speed photographs capture creatures frozen in time

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:38:53 -0400, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >"Outing Trolls is FUN!" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Ain't you heard yet? Dimwit. I *NEVER* post any marketable shots to the
    >> net.

    >We agree on that. My odds making instincts tells me that you have taken few,
    >if any marketable shots.

    My odds making instincts tells me that you have NEVER produced ANY
    photograph even worth printing.

    Show me just ONE shot of yours that displays some technical skill or talent
    in ANY area of photography. But you can't.

    I already have. Dozens and dozens of times, all in different areas of
    photography. From micro and macro to astro to artistically solemn to fast
    action under all manner of lighting and all conditions . Applied altogether
    it means that I have all the skill needed to produce any photograph I
    desire in any venue for any purpose.

    Where's just ONE sample of your exemplary talent and skill?

    We'd all hold our breath but we know that would be a waste of effort, now
    wouldn't we.

    You useless **** of a ****-hole pretend-photographer TROLL.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Jul 22, 2010
  8. Russ D

    Bowser Guest

    "Russ D" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...ographs-capture-creatures-frozen-in-time.html

    > What a shame. So many images ruined by too shallow DOF and eye-offending
    > artificial lighting. I shoot many macro images of small insects in flight
    > in available light alone, handheld, without all that DOF blur and garish
    > fake lighting. I was just browsing through one folder of mine where in
    > only
    > one afternoon I amassed about 150 tight macro shots of bees hovering near
    > their intended flower-targets. And who hasn't shot a bird coming in for a
    > landing before? Or similarly a crane flipping a fish into the air and
    > capturing a shot of it just before the catch. Or an osprey making its
    > catch. He spent FOUR DAYS to get that shot of the osprey making its catch?
    > I got about 15 like that in 2 hours one casual afternoon by just sitting
    > around where some ospreys were fishing, no elaborate camouflage hide
    > required. (One was especially clumsy and kept dropping his catch, no doubt
    > a juvenile learning its trade.) The osprey could have cared less if I was
    > there, they were focused on getting their dinners. This guy's just a
    > talentless tech-head cityboy hack. ZERO talent.
    >
    > Totally unimpressed.

    If his are that bad, I'd love to see yours. Can you post a link?

    Bowser, Jul 23, 2010