Re: Schoolboy's bee snap buzzes to first place in wildlife photography competition

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Aug 27, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    LOL! <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:19:54 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-place-wildlife-photography-competition.html

    >Just took more like that today, just for practice. Then they wonder why I
    >laugh at all of them that can't do something this easy using any decent
    >camera with available-light alone.

    You didn't notice that the schoolboy who took the winning picture was
    using a Canon EOS DSLR?
    Bruce, Aug 27, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 27/08/2010 12:19, Bruce wrote:
    > LOL!<> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:19:54 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-place-wildlife-photography-competition.html

    >> Just took more like that today, just for practice. Then they wonder why I
    >> laugh at all of them that can't do something this easy using any decent
    >> camera with available-light alone.

    > You didn't notice that the schoolboy who took the winning picture was
    > using a Canon EOS DSLR?

    And he wasn't the only one with a DSLR...

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Aug 27, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    LOL! <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:19:47 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >
    >>LOL! <> wrote:

    >>>Just took more like that today, just for practice. Then they wonder why I
    >>>laugh at all of them that can't do something this easy using any decent
    >>>camera with available-light alone.

    >>You didn't notice that the schoolboy who took the winning picture was
    >>using a Canon EOS DSLR?

    >It was more than obvious. By the too-shallow DOF.

    What you so crudely describe as "too-shallow DOF" was specifically
    singled out for praise by one of the judges of the competition, who
    reportedly said the picture was a "remarkable achievement for a
    13-year-old".

    He went on to say "The colourful, curved flower sweeps across the
    image and points towards the hovering bee, which is razor-sharp and
    frozen in mid-air, framed in the dark gap between two out-of-focus
    flowers in the background, so that it stands out even more."

    Obviously, that picture won't be to your personal taste. ;-)
    Bruce, Aug 27, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Superzooms Still Win <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:40:08 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >>LOL! <> wrote:

    >>>It was more than obvious. By the too-shallow DOF.

    >>What you so crudely describe as "too-shallow DOF" was specifically
    >>singled out for praise by one of the judges of the competition, who
    >>reportedly said the picture was a "remarkable achievement for a
    >>13-year-old".

    >Yes, it would appear to be a "remarkable achievement" by a talentless
    >snapshooter "judge" whose closest brush with the real world are photographs
    >it finds on the net. It's run-of-the mill photography far as I'm concerned.
    >Been doing stuff like that most my life, even before the age of 13.
    >
    >Now the question remains ... how come none of you can accomplish something
    >so simple on a regular basis with ANY camera in your hands?
    >

    >>He went on to say "The colourful, curved flower sweeps across the
    >>image and points towards the hovering bee, which is razor-sharp and
    >>frozen in mid-air, framed in the dark gap between two out-of-focus
    >>flowers in the background, so that it stands out even more."
    >>
    >>Obviously, that picture won't be to your personal taste. ;-)

    >Yet I can get adequate DOF to embrace the whole subject, and still get the
    >background just as out of focus. You don't know how to plan ahead to frame
    >a macro-subject by contrasting colors and luminosities in the bokeh? That's
    >rule #1 before you even press the shutter. Note in my example,
    ><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4931547636_98ef1bc197_z.jpg> I made
    >sure the darker bee in shadow was framed by a lighter spear of bokeh, the
    >spear of lighter bokeh leading (and connecting) the subject right to its
    >intended flower-target. ALL those things are accounted for when doing
    >photography. Photography 101. And that's not even one of the keepers.
    >
    >Pay attention.

    Pay attention to what?

    I'll take the 13-year old schoolboy's shot over yours, any time.
    Bruce, Aug 27, 2010
  5. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:27:44 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >>Yet I can get adequate DOF to embrace the whole subject, and still get the
    >>background just as out of focus. You don't know how to plan ahead to frame
    >>a macro-subject by contrasting colors and luminosities in the bokeh? That's
    >>rule #1 before you even press the shutter. Note in my example,
    >><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4931547636_98ef1bc197_z.jpg> I made
    >>sure the darker bee in shadow was framed by a lighter spear of bokeh, the
    >>spear of lighter bokeh leading (and connecting) the subject right to its
    >>intended flower-target. ALL those things are accounted for when doing
    >>photography. Photography 101. And that's not even one of the keepers.

    I would hope that's not what you consider a "keeper".
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 27, 2010
  6. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:41:20 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:40:45 -0700, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I guess our "great wildlife photographer" likes OOF bee shots.

    >Oh, I'm sorry. Did you useless-**** of a troll miss this little important
    >bit of information?
    >
    >"For your basement-living trolls' entertainment. As always, greatly
    >jpg-degraded to entertain the photo-thieves & pixel-pervs as well."

    "jpg-degraded" is a waste of time on an image that should have been
    discarded in the first place.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 27, 2010
  7. Re: Schoolboy's bee snap buzzes to first place in wildlife photographycompetition

    On 8/27/10 PDT 8:42 AM, George Kerby wrote:
    > On 8/27/10 5:59 AM, in article ,
    >>
    >> Too bad that site oversaturated everything into an unnatural ad-copy hell
    >> too.
    >>

    > Fix your monitor, Tonto.

    Actually, he's right on a couple of the pix: over sat.
    Law of averages says he'll be right once every 68 posts.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Aug 27, 2010
  8. Bruce

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 27/08/2010 18:32, Superzooms Still Win wrote:
    > Of course not, you hopelessly stupid ****. But it still contains the
    > essential compositional elements using the bokeh to frame the subject and
    > connect the composition together.

    Including a white flower lost in a clear patch of background.

    > IT'S A FREAKIN THROW-AWAY EXAMPLE, you
    > morons. Just like I FIRST STATED. Can't you fucking fool TROLLS even read?
    > I take close-up shots of small insects in flight using hand-held superzoom
    > cameras all the time. It's NOTHING IMPRESSIVE if I see anyone else do it. A
    > big ol' fuckin' YAWN.

    Losing our temper, aren't we?

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Aug 27, 2010
  9. In article <>,
    Superzooms Still Win <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:32:39 -0400, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:27:44 +0100, Bruce <>
    > >wrote:

    <coronary-inducing whining removed>

    > Until I see you fucking
    > shits post some, you have NO room to talk about ANY of this. YOU HAVE NO
    > EXPERIENCE. YOU'RE FUCKING IGNORANT. YOU PROVE YOU HAVE ZERO TALENT UNTIL
    > THEN. Got it?

    <more shite removal>

    Dude, don't hurt yourself.

    I'd hate to see you found 100 miles into the Everglades face down in the
    mud, gators gnawing on what's left of the plumper portions of your
    anatomy, all of your solar-powered satellite uplink internet connection
    equipment fried in the water...

    I really worry that you are working up to an aneurism. Do you contract
    with an airboat operator to swing by your latest GPS location once a
    month or so to make sure you're still alive? Not that there's much he
    could if you're not except maybe rescue that Panasonic ToughBook you
    carry on your most dangerous Black Ops missions. There's probably some
    priceless macro photos of dung beetles on the hard drive that can win
    some (posthumous) awards from the Aperture Foundation...

    Maybe you should get fitted for a radio-location collar like some
    Florida Panthers are decked out with, all in the name of safety.

    Oh, and if you do croak in the Glades can I have your "Soldier of
    Fortune" and "American Survivalist" magazine subscriptions?

    Safety first dude -- the burst aneurism you prevent today may be your
    own. At least consider taking an aspirin every day.
    Attila Jozsef, Aug 28, 2010