Re: Schindler's List on DVD: Is is ever going to be released or what?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Eric R., Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Eric R.

    Eric R. Guest

    Giftzwerg <> wrote in message

    > ...he huffs importantly, falling victim to an infantile mistaking of his
    > own highly subjective, entirely personal opinion for God's Skywritten
    > Cinematic Judgement(tm).

    It's not just his opinion. I and many others share it too. Speilberg
    is a melodramatic hack. He hasn't made a decent movie since
    bell-bottoms were still the rage.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jun 24, 2003

  2. > > ...he huffs importantly, falling victim to an infantile mistaking of his
    > > own highly subjective, entirely personal opinion for God's Skywritten
    > > Cinematic Judgement(tm).

    > It's not just his opinion. I and many others share it too. Speilberg
    > is a melodramatic hack. He hasn't made a decent movie since
    > bell-bottoms were still the rage.
    >
    > -Eric

    Spoken like an ignorant man.

    Jason Chastain, Jun 25, 2003

  3. > > ...he huffs importantly, falling victim to an infantile mistaking of his
    > > own highly subjective, entirely personal opinion for God's Skywritten
    > > Cinematic Judgement(tm).

    > It's not just his opinion. I and many others share it too. Speilberg
    > is a melodramatic hack. He hasn't made a decent movie since
    > bell-bottoms were still the rage.
    >
    > -Eric

    Spoken like an ignorant man.

    Jason Chastain, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Eric R.

    Guest

    On 25-Jun-2003, aemilia <> wrote:

    > >> It's not just his opinion. I and many others share it too. Speilberg
    > >> is a melodramatic hack. He hasn't made a decent movie since
    > >> bell-bottoms were still the rage.

    > >Spoken like an ignorant man.

    > I don't agree that Spielberg is an utter hack...he has hack
    > tendencies, but he has made some wonderful films like Empire of the
    > Sun and The Color Purple.

    Checking the dictionary, the following appears to be most appropriate:
    3 a : a person who works solely for mercenary reasons : HIRELING <party
    hacks> b : a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for
    commercial success http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

    If Spielberg is a hack, so is Shakespeare. He obviously has some other
    intentions in his movies beyond making money.

    So question #1 - is he melodramatic?
    Question #2 is - has he made a decent movie since bell-bottoms were the
    rage? (could someone provide a year here)? How good does a movie have
    to be to qualify as "decent"? Do people really say Empire of the Sun
    wasn't at minimum, "decent"?

    , Jun 26, 2003
  5. Eric R.

    RogerM Guest

    wrote:

    > If Spielberg is a hack, so is Shakespeare. He obviously has some other
    > intentions in his movies beyond making money.

    I guess Shakespeare went back and turned the swords in 'Hamlet' into cell
    phones?

    --

    The more people I talk to, the more I empathize with serial killers.

    In a land where gold is God, it is inevitable that greed will become a
    religion.

    Cinnamon J. Scudworth for Evil Genius of the Year.

    RogerM, Jun 26, 2003
  6. Eric R.

    Guest

    On 25-Jun-2003, RogerM <> wrote:

    > > If Spielberg is a hack, so is Shakespeare. He obviously has some other
    > > intentions in his movies beyond making money.
    > >

    > I guess Shakespeare went back and turned the swords in 'Hamlet' into cell
    > phones?

    Spielberg changed his work to PC pressures. Shakespeare changed his work
    to Royal pressures. So they both did what they think they need to do to
    make money and produce their work.

    , Jun 26, 2003
  7. Re: Schindler's List on DVD: Is is ever going to be released orwhat?

    in article NEsKa.12808$,
    at wrote on 6/25/03 9:13 PM:

    >>> If Spielberg is a hack, so is Shakespeare

    and The Three Stooges, and Abbott and Costello, and Jerry Lewis, and....

    JN

    James Neibaur, Jun 26, 2003
  8. In rec.arts.movies.past-films aemilia <> wrote:

    : The Piano is a far better film than Schindler's List

    The technical term is "damning with faint praise." Actually, I thought that
    _The Piano_ was a truly terrible film, but then, I usually feel that way
    about pretentious pseudo-deep films (e.g. _Last Year at Marienbad_, just
    about anything by Peter Greenaway) no matter how much critical acclaim they
    receive. Amusingly, I saw _The Piano_ at a duplex in which the companion
    theater was showing _Farewell, My Concubine_, which is a far better film
    than _The Piano_, at least in the genre of Films That Feature a Character
    Getting a Finger Cut Off (a genre that includes _The Pope of Greenwich
    Village_ which I went to see because the local critic had described it,
    if you can believe it, as a comedy).

    I still remember the comment I made to the friend I went to see _The
    Piano_ with as we left the theater: "That was a terrible movie, but that
    little girl [aka Anna Paquin] is going to win an Oscar."

    -----
    Richard Schultz
    -----
    "To be, or not to be, I there's the point,
    To Die, to sleepe, is that all? I all;
    No, to sleepe, to dreame, I mary there it goes. . ."

    Richard Schultz, Jun 26, 2003
  9. In rec.arts.movies.past-films wrote:
    : On 25-Jun-2003, aemilia <> wrote:

    : Checking the dictionary, the following appears to be most appropriate:
    : 3 a : a person who works solely for mercenary reasons : HIRELING <party
    : hacks> b : a writer who works on order; also : a writer who aims solely for
    : commercial success http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
    :
    I think that the AHD (1st edition) definition probably comes closer to the
    connotation of "hack" being used here: "one who hires himself out to
    do routine writing." The point being that what Spielberg does is routine.

    : If Spielberg is a hack, so is Shakespeare. He obviously has some other
    : intentions in his movies beyond making money.

    That Shakespeare happened to be very good at his job once he got the hang
    of it doesn't mean that he wasn't in it for the money. The difference
    between Shakespeare and Spielberg is that Shakespeare wrote "Titus Andronicus"
    and then he got over it. Shakespeare understood that even a popular artist
    (which is, AFAIK, all that he ever aspired to) can have success by attempting
    to touch people's deepest feelings. I would be the last to deny Spielberg's
    craftsmanship. But as an artist, he doesn't cut it with me because no
    matter how hard he tries, he always ends up backsliding to an appeal to
    his audience's lowest common denominator.

    -----
    Richard Schultz
    -----
    I'm sorry if I hurt you when I fell asleep last night,
    But I was just exhausted from the act of being polite.

    Richard Schultz, Jun 26, 2003
  10. Eric R.

    Mark Seely Guest

    Because you perceive Hollywood's glaring fetishism for children.

    Their psychology is not that of man. Therefore men can perceive it for the
    alien thing that it is.

    Their psychology is also very predictable in some ways. Men such as myself
    can use that against them.

    "The 1968 Movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" May Have Been a Prediction about the
    Events of September 11, 2001, And It May Have Cost the Movie Director,
    Stanley Kubrick, His Life"
    http://www.angelfire.com/moon/busta

    Mark Seely, Jun 26, 2003
  11. Eric R.

    Mark Seely Guest

    > as an artist, he doesn't cut it with me because no
    > matter how hard he tries, he always ends up backsliding to an appeal to
    > his audience's lowest common denominator.

    As he did at the very end of Schindler's list.

    The leopard can not change its spots. Even the jews who wrote the Bible
    admit that much about themselves.

    Mark Seely, Jun 26, 2003
  12. Ouch, slashed again by that rapier wit! I posted twice, ya really got me
    there. And no, that wasn't a flame; if I was flaming, you'd know it.

    Spielberg is one of the great filmmakers alive. Yes he's made bad films
    (witness Hook, Lost World, 1941, Minority Report), but every director in the
    last century has. I also totally disagree about Schindler's List. Not only
    do I think it was the single finest film of the 90's (a decade filled with
    excellent films), I think it was the single finest film about the atrocities
    of WWII since Judgment at Nuremberg. I also doubt he was trying to 'tug at
    heartstrings too much' with the material. He didn't have to, he was just
    showing how it was. It's the material that is affecting, not some overly
    ostentatious framing of it. This film's social importance alone is so
    overwhelming as to defy criticism on that level, but if you'd like more
    examples of his excellent films, try Jaws, one of the films that changed
    movie-making, or Close Encounters, the Indiana Jones films--which
    single-handedly re-popularized an entire genre--ET, Empire of the Sun, and
    Saving Private Ryan. Is he the greatest director alive? No. Is he one of the
    greatest? YES. It seems these Spielberg-bashers are just coming out of the
    woodwork, as if they'll sound erudite by putting him down., and I'm sick of
    it.

    As far as the Piano, it was excellent, but it was in NO way in the same
    class as Schindler's in my opinion. A good effort, and worthy to be
    nominated, but Schindler's is a better made movie, it has acting at least
    the equal, a better script, and will be remembered far longer than the
    Piano. I don't think you sound anti-semitic, but there have been films
    talking about the Holocaust and WWII that didn't win Best Picture before,
    and Schindler's is the finest one of them all. That's one of the things I do
    agree with about AFI putting as the 9th best film ever made. It's simply a
    flawless film, IMHO.

    The black knight ALWAYS triumphs!

    Jason Chastain, Jun 26, 2003
  13. Ouch, slashed again by that rapier wit! I posted twice, ya really got me

    Jason Chastain, Jun 26, 2003
  14. Ouch, slashed again by that rapier wit! I posted twice, ya really got me

    Jason Chastain, Jun 26, 2003
  15. Eric R.

    trotsky Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:41:01 -0700, Bob <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Jason Chastain wrote:
    >>

    >>>Ouch, slashed again by that rapier wit! I posted twice, ya really got me
    >>>there. And no, that wasn't a flame; if I was flaming, you'd know it.
    >>>
    >>>Spielberg is one of the great filmmakers alive. Yes he's made bad films
    >>>(witness Hook, Lost World, 1941, Minority Report), but every director in the
    >>>last century has. I also totally disagree about Schindler's List. Not only
    >>>do I think it was the single finest film of the 90's (a decade filled with
    >>>excellent films), I think it was the single finest film about the atrocities
    >>>of WWII since Judgment at Nuremberg.

    >>Unfortunately, some of the people who post here do not think that the activities
    >>in the death camps were atrocities, and would, if they could, set them up and
    >>running again today. It is easy to spot these types, with their anti-jew,
    >>anti-black, anti anything decent in the world type posts.
    >>Bob
    >>

    > I think his film was the atrocity. He didn't begin to capture what it
    > must have really been like.

    Words can't describe how stupid a statement that is.

    trotsky, Jun 27, 2003
  16. Eric R.

    Jason Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Giftzwerg <> wrote in message
    >
    > > ...he huffs importantly, falling victim to an infantile mistaking of his
    > > own highly subjective, entirely personal opinion for God's Skywritten
    > > Cinematic Judgement(tm).

    > It's not just his opinion. I and many others share it too. Speilberg
    > is a melodramatic hack. He hasn't made a decent movie since
    > bell-bottoms were still the rage.

    I wouldn't cross the street to disagree with you in general, but I do
    love the Indiana Jones movies. They rule.

    Jason, Jun 27, 2003
  17. Eric R.

    Jason Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 27 Jun 2003 15:48:52 -0700, (Jason) wrote:
    >
    > > (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> It's not just his opinion. I and many others share it too. Speilberg
    > >> is a melodramatic hack. He hasn't made a decent movie since
    > >> bell-bottoms were still the rage.

    > >I wouldn't cross the street to disagree with you in general, but I do
    > >love the Indiana Jones movies. They rule.
    > >

    > >> -Eric

    > You poor fellow. Why?
    > -Rich

    You're not serious, are you? This is Indiana Jones were talking about
    here. You almost sound like you don't enjoy Tom & Jerry cartoons
    either.

    Jason, Jun 28, 2003
  18. Eric R.

    Guest

    On 28 Jun 2003 04:07:32 -0700, (Jason) wrote:

    > wrote in message news:<>...

    >> >I wouldn't cross the street to disagree with you in general, but I do
    >> >love the Indiana Jones movies. They rule.

    >> You poor fellow. Why?
    >> -Rich

    >You're not serious, are you? This is Indiana Jones were talking about
    >here. You almost sound like you don't enjoy Tom & Jerry cartoons
    >either.

    I found the Indiana Jones movies to be dull. I didn't like the
    "Romancing the Stone" movies with Michael Douglas either. Just not my
    genre. I think mostly because I didn't care about the characters. For
    me, Ford didn't start acting until movies other than Indiana
    Jones and Star Wars came along.
    Depp's new pirate movie also isn't a genre I care for, but I might go
    and see it only because it looks like they had some money
    for the battle scenes.
    -Rich

    , Jun 28, 2003
  19. Eric R.

    Jason Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 28 Jun 2003 04:07:32 -0700, (Jason) wrote:
    >
    > > wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> You poor fellow. Why?
    > >> -Rich

    > >You're not serious, are you? This is Indiana Jones were talking about
    > >here. You almost sound like you don't enjoy Tom & Jerry cartoons
    > >either.

    > I found the Indiana Jones movies to be dull.

    Perhaps you set the bar too high? These are action films, pure
    escapism. They're not intended to be

    I didn't like the
    > "Romancing the Stone" movies with Michael Douglas either.

    As if an Indiana fan would? I thought this was a terrible knock off of
    a film. Come to think of it, Temple of Doom largely was also. It's the
    first and third Indy films I like. Undiluted pleasure.

    Just not my
    > genre.

    Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. However, please
    agree with me that Spielberg did not inject anything like the same
    level of self-reverential bull into the Indy films that you find in
    most of his flicks. Personally I think he should've just stuck with
    action films. These are classics of that genre. Possibly some of the
    best liked films ever made.

    I think mostly because I didn't care about the characters. For
    > me, Ford didn't start acting until movies other than Indiana
    > Jones and Star Wars came along.

    I think the opposite. I don't like his more recent 'family man'
    persona very much. He's not the most talented actor but probably one
    of the most likeable or easiest to identify with. He's best when he
    just puts his personality across and keeps the acting to a minimum.

    Jason, Jun 28, 2003
  20. Eric R.

    Eric R. Guest

    trotsky <> wrote in message

    > >>Words can't describe how stupid a statement that is.

    > > And yet you found some. What wordsmith!

    > What does "What wordsmith!" mean, Rich? Are you losing control of yourself?

    I think he's mocking you for your inability to express any retort more
    profound than the adult equivalent of "You're a doody-head!"

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jul 1, 2003