Re: Scheduled Veritas Exec Does Not Run?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg Townsend, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:09:31 +1200, "need2know" <> wrote:

    >In an office with a file server running W2000Prof and Veritas Backup Exec which should write to a 20Gb tape.
    >It is scheduled to run at about 11pm mon-fri.
    >Job runs the first time it is scheduled but not afterwards. No error message. Tried to reschedule and finally got an error regarding the "blank" password for the user so I set it to the builtin 'backup' user. I saved the job but when I went back in, it had reverted to the original username.
    >I seem to recollect that there was a fault involving Outlook when the password kept falling off. The fix there was to make a change in the registry under the "protected storage" key. I was wondering if this might be something similar.
    >Backup exec does not create a log entry for the failed run which seems to indicate that it doesnt even gert to start.
    >
    >Anyone?

    DO NOT USE HTML IN USENE, ITS NOT ALOWED.
    Greg Townsend, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Greg  Townsend

    AD. Guest

    John Hornblow wrote:

    > Back to good old flakey Backup exec...
    > Check out the veritas website for patchs....
    > or go arc serve (sp?)

    As much as Veritas irritates me, suggesting arc-serve is just cruel!

    ;)

    Anton
    AD., Aug 7, 2003

  3. Greg  Townsend

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:26:10 +1200, "AD." <> wrote:

    >John Hornblow wrote:
    >
    >> Back to good old flakey Backup exec...
    >> Check out the veritas website for patchs....
    >> or go arc serve (sp?)

    >As much as Veritas irritates me, suggesting arc-serve is just cruel!
    >
    >;)
    >
    >Anton

    Aye, what a sadist....a real Hobsons choice there ;-)

    I tried Arcserve 2000 once & never used it again. How backup software
    can be so expensive yet so damnably bug ridden & user malevolent has
    always mystified me....the more expensive it gets the worse it is IMO.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Greg  Townsend

    AD. Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > I tried Arcserve 2000 once & never used it again. How backup software
    > can be so expensive yet so damnably bug ridden & user malevolent has
    > always mystified me....the more expensive it gets the worse it is IMO.

    I reckon Computer Associates must be one of the worst software companies
    around. Nearly everything of theirs is utter shite, and the longer they've
    owned the product the worse it gets. They don't create much if anything
    from scratch, they just buy it then progressively ruin it.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 8, 2003