Re: scanning slides with flatbed scanner -

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DH1GTGrcpR!258024540?O=productList&A=buyUsed&Q=81740

    > A limitation when copying with a digicam is that you don't get all the

    detail in the
    > slide, unless you have a camera with at least 12 Mp. but is an

    inexpensive way to get the
    > job done, and it will be faster than scanning.

    At one time I considered this but my digital camera doesn't have a macro
    function and it's not 12 Mp but I could borrow one. The link and pic of the
    "slide duplicator" shows a simple device that could be experimented with,
    thanks for the idea!

    Steve, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Steve

    tomm42 Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > "Marvin" <> wrote in message news:
    >
    > > Pat wrote:
    > > > This is a bit "old school", but the method has been around forever.
    > > > You'll need an adaptor to hook it up to your digital camera.
    > > >

    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DH1GTGrcpR!258024540?O=productList&A=buyUsed&Q=81740
    > >
    > > A limitation when copying with a digicam is that you don't get all the

    > detail in the
    > > slide, unless you have a camera with at least 12 Mp. but is an

    > inexpensive way to get the
    > > job done, and it will be faster than scanning.

    > At one time I considered this but my digital camera doesn't have a macro
    > function and it's not 12 Mp but I could borrow one. The link and pic of the
    > "slide duplicator" shows a simple device that could be experimented with,
    > thanks for the idea!

    These are generally poorly constructed devices that have poor optics.
    It is much better to have a macro lens and a light box and copy stand
    (a light weight one would work). Old slide copier are the best though.
    6mp would give a reasonable file size 8 or 10mp would be better, all
    depends what you want to use the images for, if you are printiung the
    more mp the better. Forget the slide dupe attachments they are worth
    less than what you pay for them.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message

    > Steve wrote:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DH1GTGrcpR!258024540?O=productList&A=buyUsed&Q=81740

    > > > A limitation when copying with a digicam is that you don't get all the

    > > detail in the
    > > > slide, unless you have a camera with at least 12 Mp. but is an

    > > inexpensive way to get the
    > > > job done, and it will be faster than scanning.

    > > At one time I considered this but my digital camera doesn't have a macro
    > > function and it's not 12 Mp but I could borrow one. The link and pic of

    the
    > > "slide duplicator" shows a simple device that could be experimented

    with,
    > > thanks for the idea!

    > These are generally poorly constructed devices that have poor optics.
    > It is much better to have a macro lens and a light box and copy stand
    > (a light weight one would work). Old slide copier are the best though.
    > 6mp would give a reasonable file size 8 or 10mp would be better, all
    > depends what you want to use the images for, if you are printiung the
    > more mp the better. Forget the slide dupe attachments they are worth
    > less than what you pay for them.
    >
    > Tom

    I think my next option is to build this homemade slide duplicator -
    http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/index.htm
    The quality looks acceptable however I didn't have much luck with the
    "backlight"
    on the flatbed scanner so I'm not sure about this contraption!

    Steve, Jan 14, 2006