Re: scanning negatives

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MJ@MJ.com, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:49:34 GMT, "D. White" <>
    wrote:

    >My grandfather has thousands of negatives from 1940 to present. I am
    >considering attempting to digitize and catalog the negatives. I have not
    >purchased a scanner yet. Any suggestions on what equipment to buy or stay
    >away from and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

    I've just completed a similar project myself. Whilst all the
    recommendations for film scanners may be of interest, in practice such
    a route may well be impractical and prohibitively costly, as it was in
    my case. The B&W negatives that I had were many and varied in size and
    shape, and not one 35mm amongst them. A dedicated neg/slide scanner
    was out of the question. I used an Epson 2450 A4 scanner, probably now
    superseded. It has a light source in the cover, as you would expect,
    and some negative/slide holders which were of no use for my B&W negs.
    I laid the negatives on the scanner and placed a thin piece of glass
    on top to hold them flat. I edged the glass with tape for protection
    and added a couple of tabs to help with lifting it. It took a little
    playing around before I identified the area on the scanner bed which
    was scanned (it's smaller than a normal scan) but when I had I made up
    a cardboard cutout to outline the area. I didn't worry too much about
    laying the negs perfectly square as I re-aligned them in Photoshop
    easily enough.

    The scanning prog used was Vuescan, which did an excellent job,
    cleaning up much of the scratches and dust automatically.
    Unfortunately it was incredibly slow - something like 3 to 5 mins per
    neg. That was with a 1400mhz pc with 1gb ram. Hence I spent several
    weeks on it. But the results meant less time with Photoshop cleaning
    up so it was a good trade off.

    I had hundreds to do, not thousands. You may need to consider another
    method, unless you are prepared to spend months doing it.

    MJ

    , Aug 29, 2003

  2. JIM Guest

    <> wrote in message
    .....<cut>....> I had hundreds to do, not thousands. You may need to consider
    another
    > method, unless you are prepared to spend months doing it.

    Thousands, at least a daunting prospect - be prepared to spend a
    quantifiable part of your lifetime on this little ditty;) I just purchased
    the Minolta 5400 and have been playing around with it doing 35mm. I also
    have "thousands" of negatives squirreled away but will try to concentrate on
    those images I like to enlarge. Another project that will take as long, in
    the long run..........

    First impression is that it reminds me of watching grass
    grow........published scan times indicate 60 - 68 secs per scanned image
    (USB2/IEEE Firewire). Not gunna happen unless you turn just about everything
    off; i.e., ICE or any image adjusting stuff. Even then, those times only
    happen at lower resolutions! As others have noted, quality comes at a time
    price and if you spend only 10 min per image (including adjustments), you
    probably would be very proud of your excellent ability;)

    Shoot'em up, scan or not scan, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
    you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Aug 29, 2003

  3. D. White Guest

    Thanks for all the informative responses. My Grandfather has mostly 35mm
    slides. He worked for a graphic arts center where he received free film.
    What I am trying to do is gather information so that I can present this
    project to my recently retired Dad, for us to do together. The intent of
    the scanning is for historic preservation as well as being able to document
    the photos while my grandfather is still able to do such, his sight is
    fading fast. Ideally I would like to set the system up at my grandfathers
    house and have him feed the scanner.

    D. White, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Frank ess Guest

    "D. White" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the informative responses. My Grandfather has mostly 35mm
    > slides. He worked for a graphic arts center where he received free film.
    > What I am trying to do is gather information so that I can present this
    > project to my recently retired Dad, for us to do together. The intent of
    > the scanning is for historic preservation as well as being able to

    document
    > the photos while my grandfather is still able to do such, his sight is
    > fading fast. Ideally I would like to set the system up at my grandfathers
    > house and have him feed the scanner.

    You're welcome, I'm sure.

    I envy you the opportunity, even though it is a big, laborious project. I
    hope it works out well for you and your family.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 30, 2003
  5. JIM Guest

    "D. White" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    .....<cut>.... while my grandfather is still able to do such, his sight is
    > fading fast. Ideally I would like to set the system up at my grandfathers
    > house and have him feed the scanner.

    Great idea, and it will probably bring a lot of memories back for him.
    Hopefully, at some point, my grandkids will want to look through some of the
    stuff I've done over the years (since they're in most of it anyway;)) and
    they will get a smile or two out of it......Good luck!

    Shoot'em up, scan for posterity, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will
    love you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Aug 30, 2003