Re: Scanning color slides to archive

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rafe B., Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Rafe B.

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 5 Aug 2003 14:55:47 -0700, (xavier) wrote:

    >I have a collection of 35mm slides that are still okay, but I'm
    >thinking that it might be prudent to scan and save these to CDs. I
    >have an Epson 1200U Photo scanner (flatbed with a slide attachment)
    >which can do this and Adobe Photoshop.
    >
    > What I would like an opinion on is:
    >
    > 1) What DPI / resolution would you scan at to have quality
    >comparable to the original and be able to get 8 X 12 or 11X 14 prints
    >ultimately and still not have huge files to store? Choices are from
    >50- 1200 DPI. However, when I scan @ 1200 dpi, I am creating
    >files in the 85-95 Mb size which means about 8/CD. What is the best
    >way to save the files? JPEG, TIFF,?

    Your math is way off. At 1200 dpi, your scans would be 6.5 Mbytes
    each, uncompressed. A 35 mm frame is 1" x 1.5" (approximately).

    >2) How would you approach those that are not properly exposed? Would
    >you just scan and store the original? Would you correct with
    >Photoshop (auto or manual corrections for contrast, color, hue,
    >saturation, etc.) and store the best enhancement or just do that from
    >the untouched original at the time of printing?

    The critical thing wih the scan is to make sure all tones are
    captured and that none are clipped, either at the high end
    or the low end. This is relatively easy to do with negatives
    and somewhat harder with slides. Color correction can be
    done later.

    >3) Any other suggestions of how to do this to the best advantage so
    >that the time expended to scan and archive will be done only once? Is
    >there a software program specifically designed to allow you to do this
    >with greater ease than just doing it yourself with Photoshop?

    Yes. Get a real film scanner. 1200 dpi won't do justice to your
    slides. A good 2700 dpi film scanner will set you back around
    $350 or so. This will give you files of around 25 Mbytes, and
    you will still get around 25 files (uncompressed) onto one CD.

    Better yet, get a DVD writer, and your storage problems are
    gone.

    >4) If you were scanning to save for future usage with a digital
    >projector, what resolution would you scan at to give good results with
    >an LCD projector (say 1024 x 768)?
    >
    > 5) Is there a reference that touches on this issue that you might
    >have seen?

    See www.scantips.com

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com