Re: scandisk and defrag

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Patch, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Patch

    Patch Guest

    "Reachinout" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have been trying repeatedly to do a disk scan and defrag, without
    > success. Disk scan goes about 2% and quits, hundreds of times. Defrag
    > shows no progress at all. Have never had trouble of this kind before.
    > I have exited programs which might be causing the problem. I always do
    > scan first, and then defrag, and now neither works for me. I have been
    > told to try the scan in safe mode. I am afraid of safe mode because I
    > have heard tales about how hard it is to get out of it. Any
    > suggestions about things to try would be appreciated.
    >
    > Reachinout

    Do it in Safe Mode. The tales you've heard are old Wive's tales!

    Patch, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Patch

    Rubix Guest

    There are a no. of questions that need to be answered first before the
    problem can be solved.

    1. What version of Windows are you using?

    2. How large is your hard disk? What is the speed of the processor?

    3. How did you shut down running programs?

    By pressing Ctrl-Alt- Del ? Using the Task Manager? By stopping the programs
    from running at start-up in the first place or by any other method?

    4. Have you stopped all scheduled activities from running and interrupting
    the scandisk process?

    The answer to your problem lies somewhere here, I think.

    Rubix

    Rubix, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Patch

    PJ Riley Guest

    I use a PC Magazine freeware utility, EndItAll,
    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/
    to close all running programs. This allows both Scandisk and
    Defrag to work.

    If you have Win98, you might try this:

    Win98SE Defrag is problematical. I downloaded the Win Me version
    of Defrag from http://www.comp-solve.com/defrag.htm and see the
    note at:
    http://members.cox.net/scotterpops/enhancements/enhancements9c.htm

    Pat Riley Ottawa ON