    2 years for $237. Phoned them - no reply.

    Will probably tell the Police.

    JB

    JB, Aug 7, 2003

  2. JB

    bAZZ Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    news:eTlYa.9719$...
    > The fucking arseholes.
    >
    > I received an invoice too believeing it was for renewal of my .co.nz

    domain.
    > 2 years for $237. Phoned them - no reply.
    >
    > Will probably tell the Police.
    >
    > JB

    Bastards alright !!!!

    My girlfriend shouted me my own .co.nz domain a few months ago and seeing
    the mail opened it and thought that it was a legitimate invoice. She was on
    her way into town and said on phone to me she would pay my "internet thing
    bill " *(her words!!)*. If I had not querried it she would have gone and
    paid the pricks $237 for *.net.nz domain. I wonder how many ppl have fallen
    for this scam.

    Isn't illegal to do a whois to find someone who owns a domain and use the
    info in this manner ? I am sure i read it somewhere when looking up the
    owner of a domain recently (one of the few times I took time to read the
    usual legal guff on a site).

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Aug 7, 2003

  3. JB

    paulsy Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:58:53 +1200, "bAZZ"
    <> wrote:

    >Isn't illegal to do a whois to find someone who owns a domain and use the
    >info in this manner ? I am sure i read it somewhere when looking up the
    >owner of a domain recently (one of the few times I took time to read the
    >usual legal guff on a site).

    I wonder what records they are looking up because they sent me a
    letter, recently, offering me the 'co.nz' eqivalent of a '.com' domain
    I used to own about a year ago. Of course I laughed at the $237 and
    thought 'you cheeky arseholes' and screwed it up. You wouldn't get me
    to pay for a overpriced 'co.nz' domain at normal prices when a US$8
    '.com' name is just as good - for me anyway.

    paulsy, Aug 7, 2003
  4. JB

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <RCoYa.108403$>,
    "bAZZ" <> wrote:

    > Isn't illegal to do a whois to find someone who owns a domain and use the
    > info in this manner ? I am sure i read it somewhere when looking up the
    > owner of a domain recently (one of the few times I took time to read the
    > usual legal guff on a site).

    Not sure if it is illegal, but what they are doing is against many of
    the rules set by the DNC (Domain name commissioner) - if you want to
    provide registry services. As you say, they can't use whois info in the
    manner they have. And they also can't target someone to sell them a
    specific domain name.

    "Bona fide .nz domain name registrars are not permitted to specify a
    particular domain name in an offer of registry services." - DNC yesterday

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Aug 7, 2003
  5. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:56:54 +1200, JB wrote:

    > The fucking arseholes.
    >
    > I received an invoice too believeing it was for renewal of my .co.nz domain.
    > 2 years for $237. Phoned them - no reply.
    >
    > Will probably tell the Police.

    I think the words you need to use are "illegal proforma invoicing"

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 7, 2003