Re: SCAMSTERS "Domain Names NZ" at it again...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RecylerMan, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. RecylerMan

    RecylerMan Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > Unbelievably, those australian scamsters T/A Domain Names NZ are at
    > it again, and have again sent out a misleading invoice-like letter to
    > people that have registered .nz domain names.
    >
    > As usual, they have obtained details of registrants (breaching the
    > DNC's rules at the same time), and have sent out an invoice-like
    > letter for registration of a similar name (eg www.gurble.net.nz if you
    > had previously registered www.gurble.co.nz) for the measly fee of $237
    > for 2 years. (Of course, this would only cost around $90 everywhere
    > else, or $70 at www.discountdomains.co.nz, but that's not the point).
    >
    > I thought these scamsters had been closed down last time, but
    > obviously not.
    >
    > It's about bloody time the Commerce Commission got involved. This is
    > the third or fourth time they've tried this scam, and they must hook
    > some unsuspecting people every time to make it worthwhile.
    >
    > I note that this time they have removed their 0800 number, probably
    > after the number of complaints they received last time round.
    >
    > IMO, these scamsters are lower on the food chain than a smelly dead
    > slug, half-squashed with it's rotting guts hanging out, and should be
    > treated as such. Wankers.

    Why not send them Polite letter and demand that they surrender the
    domain name :) after all arnt they doing the squatting?

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595

    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z
    RecylerMan, Aug 6, 2003

  2. RecylerMan

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 07:35:38 +1200, RecylerMan
    <0.nz> had this to say:

    >Gurble wrote:
    >> Unbelievably, those australian scamsters T/A Domain Names NZ are at
    >> it again, and have again sent out a misleading invoice-like letter to
    >> people that have registered .nz domain names.
    >>

    >Why not send them Polite letter and demand that they surrender the
    >domain name :) after all arnt they doing the squatting?

    They aren't even squatting... They haven't even registered the
    domains. They're hoping that you wont notice that the domain isn't the
    one you've registered, and that with a generic name like "Domain Names
    NZ" you'll think that your domain name is expiring, and just pay their
    overinflated price...
    Gurble, Aug 6, 2003

  3. RecylerMan

    TEX Guest

    A computer illiterate client of mine recieved several letters from
    companies saying that thier domain name were expiring, and asking them
    to pay xxx or else the domain will be terminated. Luckily they were
    tight wads and thought the amounts were too much and asked me to sort it
    out.

    Think about all those ppl that have been decieved in thinkin their
    domain was expiring and paying the renew fees.

    Bloody scammers.....

    TEX

    TEX, Aug 7, 2003
  4. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:39:20 +1200, TEX wrote:

    > A computer illiterate client of mine recieved several letters from
    > companies saying that thier domain name were expiring, and asking them to
    > pay xxx or else the domain will be terminated. Luckily they were tight
    > wads and thought the amounts were too much and asked me to sort it out.
    >
    > Think about all those ppl that have been decieved in thinkin their domain
    > was expiring and paying the renew fees.

    They're just following the example set by ICONZ in the mid 1990s.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 7, 2003
  5. RecylerMan

    Peter Ingham Guest

    <0.nz> wrote:

    >Gurble wrote:
    >> Unbelievably, those australian scamsters T/A Domain Names NZ are at
    >> it again, and have again sent out a misleading invoice-like letter to
    >> people that have registered .nz domain names.
    >>
    >> As usual, they have obtained details of registrants (breaching the
    >> DNC's rules at the same time), and have sent out an invoice-like
    >> letter for registration of a similar name (eg www.gurble.net.nz if you
    >> had previously registered www.gurble.co.nz) for the measly fee of $237
    >> for 2 years. (Of course, this would only cost around $90 everywhere
    >> else, or $70 at www.discountdomains.co.nz, but that's not the point).
    >>
    >> I thought these scamsters had been closed down last time, but
    >> obviously not.
    >>
    >> It's about bloody time the Commerce Commission got involved. This is
    >> the third or fourth time they've tried this scam, and they must hook
    >> some unsuspecting people every time to make it worthwhile.

    I encourage anyone who received the "Offer" to contact the Commerce
    Commission at to register your complaint.

    --
    Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why :-(

    Peter Ingham
    Lower Hutt
    New Zealand
    Peter Ingham, Aug 7, 2003
  6. RecylerMan

    DPF Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:39:20 +1200, TEX <> wrote:

    >A computer illiterate client of mine recieved several letters from
    >companies saying that thier domain name were expiring, and asking them
    >to pay xxx or else the domain will be terminated. Luckily they were
    >tight wads and thought the amounts were too much and asked me to sort it
    >out.
    >
    >Think about all those ppl that have been decieved in thinkin their
    >domain was expiring and paying the renew fees.

    Actually very few if any have responded it seems. Some have decided
    to get a net.nz name but done it through their normal registrar.

    Also the scamsters made the mistake of including their auckland
    landlord in their mailout, and their lease has been terminated and any
    mail sent to them returned to sender.

    DPF
    --
    Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
    E-mail:
    DPF, Aug 8, 2003
  7. RecylerMan

    Mark Harris Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:03:43 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >They're just following the example set by ICONZ in the mid 1990s.

    ICONZ? I can't think of any thing they were doing in the mid-90's
    except seeming to get perilously close to going out of business yet
    survive every time.

    Care to elucidate, Alan?

    cheers

    mark

    --
    "Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
    - Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse
    Mark Harris, Aug 8, 2003
  8. On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:24:48 +1200, Mark Harris wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:03:43 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>They're just following the example set by ICONZ in the mid 1990s.
    >>

    > ICONZ? I can't think of any thing they were doing in the mid-90's except
    > seeming to get perilously close to going out of business yet survive
    > every time.

    Indeed, that too

    > Care to elucidate, Alan?

    Several of my customers came to me during 1996 with Invoicey looking
    things for their domain names which upon closer inspection were actually
    "please transfer my current domain registration to ICONZ and here's $150"
    requests, complete with tear-off strips etc.

    2 were actually silly enough to do it, then decided that as they'd paid
    the money they may as well move. They came back shortly afterwards.

    The rest were asking why they were getting an invoice for their domain
    names from ICONZ when that wasn't their ISP.

    As I said, the scams we've been seeing in the last 2 years aren't much
    different to the example set by ICONZ in the mid 1990s
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 8, 2003
  9. On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:24:48 +1200, Mark Harris wrote:

    > ICONZ? I can't think of any thing they were doing in the mid-90's except
    > seeming to get perilously close to going out of business yet survive
    > every time.

    You missed "being built up with stolen equipment purchased on hot credit
    cards".

    I understand ICONZ sold to Ron Woodrow for around $350,000. I also
    understand that ICONZ' 3 largest creditors showed up shortly afterwards
    wanting $LARGE outstanding bills settled _immediately_. The overall cost
    to Ron was just under $1,000,000 by all accounts.

    Jon Clarke had already left the country by that point.

    If Woodrow hadn't bought the company, it would in all liklihood have been
    shut down 10 days later. As it was, the ISP was a losing proposition for
    him almost until the day he sold it to Asia Online for $35,000,000 and
    made a tidy profit on all money spent.

    As for _why_ he bought it: It was going to become the official Melco ISP
    and all Melco retailers would have been forced to use it for purchase
    orders. the Melco
    board refused to buy the company, so Woodrow bought it himself and
    apparently attempted to present it to the board as a done deal.

    Others here can fill in the details more clearly, some will doubtless deny
    everything.

    ICONZ also signed into deals with all the Enterprise boards around NZ to
    have them acting as resellers. This put most Enterprise boards in direct
    violation of their charters which state they are not to compete with local
    businesses and jeopardised funding from several councils. What ICONZ would
    have been paying them was less than 5% of the funding put at risk by
    reselling the company.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 8, 2003
  10. RecylerMan

    Mark Harris Guest

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:33:41 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    [stuff about ICONZ of which I was unaware]

    Thank you for that. Most edifying.

    cheers

    mark
    Mark Harris, Aug 9, 2003
  11. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:24:48 +1200, Mark Harris wrote:
    >
    > > ICONZ? I can't think of any thing they were doing in the mid-90's except
    > > seeming to get perilously close to going out of business yet survive
    > > every time.

    > You missed "being built up with stolen equipment purchased on hot credit
    > cards".

    I believe this was done by an ex-employee of ICONZ (STaTus) who was doing
    this, not the company (Jon) himself who didn't know it was happening at the
    time, but that was over 10 years ago so my brain has gone a little rusty at
    the exact time frame of things which happened.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 10, 2003