Re: Scammers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peter, Dec 7, 2010.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > Just got of the phone with a virus scammer.
    > Got me to open event viewer and count the errors and warnings, told me
    > they are damaging my mother software.
    > Please help :(

    did you do anything they told you to do?
    especially visit any particular website, or install anything?
    peter, Dec 7, 2010

  2. peter

    David Empson Guest

    peter <> wrote:

    > Bret wrote:
    > > Just got of the phone with a virus scammer.
    > > Got me to open event viewer and count the errors and warnings, told me
    > > they are damaging my mother software.
    > > Please help :(

    > did you do anything they told you to do?
    > especially visit any particular website, or install anything?

    Someone I know did. They got as far as remotely controlling the
    computer, but I have no idea what they did while in that state. It could
    have included further "demonstrations" that the computer was infected,
    accessing any personal data (especially contact details for other
    people), changing settings, or installing actual malicious software
    (e.g. spyware).

    The next step in the call was asking you to pay something in the range
    of US$90 to US$200 to buy the anti-virus software they were touting.

    The victim hung up at this point, but it is possible some damage had
    already been done. Updated real anti-virus software didn't find anything
    it recognised already on the computer, so they can only keep their
    fingers crossed.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Dec 7, 2010

  3. peter

    peter Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 07:11:49 +1300, peter wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:
    >>> Just got of the phone with a virus scammer.
    >>> Got me to open event viewer and count the errors and warnings, told me
    >>> they are damaging my mother software.
    >>> Please help :(

    >> did you do anything they told you to do?
    >> especially visit any particular website, or install anything?

    > I let them guide me to open the event manager, that's all :)

    I'm guessing you should be ok, then.

    The danger would be if they got you to download something and install it, or
    even maybe go to a certain website (which could be set up to install
    something nasty on your PC).
    peter, Dec 8, 2010
  4. peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs David Empson wrote:
    > peter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:
    >>> Just got of the phone with a virus scammer.
    >>> Got me to open event viewer and count the errors and warnings, told
    >>> me they are damaging my mother software.
    >>> Please help :(

    >> did you do anything they told you to do?
    >> especially visit any particular website, or install anything?

    > Someone I know did. They got as far as remotely controlling the
    > computer, but I have no idea what they did while in that state. It
    > could have included further "demonstrations" that the computer was
    > infected, accessing any personal data (especially contact details for
    > other people), changing settings, or installing actual malicious
    > software (e.g. spyware).
    >
    > The next step in the call was asking you to pay something in the range
    > of US$90 to US$200 to buy the anti-virus software they were touting.
    >
    > The victim hung up at this point, but it is possible some damage had
    > already been done. Updated real anti-virus software didn't find
    > anything it recognised already on the computer, so they can only keep
    > their fingers crossed.

    It wouldn't pick up if the browser cache had been accessed and their log-ins
    and credit card details stolen. :-/
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche