Re: Say it's not so about fabulous Linux. There are a lot moreundiscovered holes in that Swiss chees

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Jul 19, 2009.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:51:19 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

    > <http://threatpost.com/blogs/researcher-uses-new-linux-kernel-flaw-

    bypass-selinux-other-protection>

    Hiya DUH-ane, my little pal.

    Well, I saw your link there and thought I'd go and take a look-see at what
    defines a Swiss cheese OS and it looks pretty good.

    I saw only one security alert regarding Linux, so because I'd been sent
    there by you, my furry little friend, I decided to click the link.

    Wow! I thought, a criticality factor of TWO out of FIVE! I'm not very
    techy, but that sounds like a lot. What's more, it was reported two days
    ago. Two whole days of this terrible security flaw doing who-knows-what to
    all those poor unsuspecting Linux users' systems. I really feel for the
    poor suckers. Maybe you and I could try to convince all of them to use
    Vista, eh?

    Anyway, I read on and when I did my concern for those Linux users quickly
    abated. Apparently a workaround fix for the flaw was released and is now
    available in their repository thingies, whatever *they* are. I bet that'll
    cost them all big bucks, but at least their systems will have one less
    hole in them, and you and I can sleep soundly in our beds because our
    concern for those fools who use Linux won't give us insomnia and stuff.

    You're such a lovely guy, showing so much empathy for others, and I don't
    care what anyone says about you, to me you're an all-round king among men.

    Anyway it's getting late and I'm pretty sleepy now (I willfind it easy to
    sleep as I don't have to worry about Linux users,the poor dopes).

    Nighty-night, DUH-ane. Sleep well.

    The star around which your planet revolves.

    Aardvark.

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    BTW I've noticed the symptoms of your neurosis/psychosis haven't been so
    evident the last day or so. Have you finally taken my advice and pushed
    your psychiatrist to put you on a different regime of pills?

    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2009

  2. On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:34:48 +0000, above the shrieking, whining & FUDding
    of the trolls Aardvark was heard to say:

    > On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:51:19 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:
    >
    >> <http://threatpost.com/blogs/researcher-uses-new-linux-kernel-flaw-

    > bypass-selinux-other-protection>
    >
    > Hiya DUH-ane, my little pal.
    >
    > Well, I saw your link there and thought I'd go and take a look-see at
    > what defines a Swiss cheese OS and it looks pretty good.
    >
    > I saw only one security alert regarding Linux, so because I'd been sent
    > there by you, my furry little friend, I decided to click the link.
    >
    > Wow! I thought, a criticality factor of TWO out of FIVE! I'm not very
    > techy, but that sounds like a lot. What's more, it was reported two days
    > ago. Two whole days of this terrible security flaw doing who-knows-what
    > to all those poor unsuspecting Linux users' systems. I really feel for
    > the poor suckers. Maybe you and I could try to convince all of them to
    > use Vista, eh?
    >
    > Anyway, I read on and when I did my concern for those Linux users
    > quickly abated. Apparently a workaround fix for the flaw was released
    > and is now available in their repository thingies, whatever *they* are.
    > I bet that'll cost them all big bucks, but at least their systems will
    > have one less hole in them, and you and I can sleep soundly in our beds
    > because our concern for those fools who use Linux won't give us insomnia
    > and stuff.
    >
    > You're such a lovely guy, showing so much empathy for others, and I
    > don't care what anyone says about you, to me you're an all-round king
    > among men.
    >
    > Anyway it's getting late and I'm pretty sleepy now (I willfind it easy
    > to sleep as I don't have to worry about Linux users,the poor dopes).
    >
    > Nighty-night, DUH-ane. Sleep well.
    >
    > The star around which your planet revolves.
    >
    > Aardvark.
    >
    > XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    >
    > BTW I've noticed the symptoms of your neurosis/psychosis haven't been so
    > evident the last day or so. Have you finally taken my advice and pushed
    > your psychiatrist to put you on a different regime of pills?

    Perhaps Duh-Inane should worry more about his wunnerful
    Fista...errr..Vista:

    "A poll of delegates at one of the world's biggest security conferences
    revealed that vendors and researchers are deeply troubled by Vista's
    inability to combat malware threats.

    A whopping 97% of those polled by software company PC Tools said they
    believe that Vista will have problems with security for years and not
    combat the vast number of threats currently targeting the system."

    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/6627/survey-windows-vista-
    security-issues.phtml

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

    William Poaster, Jul 19, 2009

  3. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 07:45:34 -0500, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:34:48 +0000, above the shrieking, whining &
    > FUDding of the trolls Aardvark was heard to say:
    >
    >> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:51:19 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://threatpost.com/blogs/researcher-uses-new-linux-kernel-flaw-

    >> bypass-selinux-other-protection>
    >>
    >> Hiya DUH-ane, my little pal.
    >>
    >> Well, I saw your link there and thought I'd go and take a look-see at
    >> what defines a Swiss cheese OS and it looks pretty good.
    >>
    >> I saw only one security alert regarding Linux, so because I'd been sent
    >> there by you, my furry little friend, I decided to click the link.
    >>
    >> Wow! I thought, a criticality factor of TWO out of FIVE! I'm not very
    >> techy, but that sounds like a lot. What's more, it was reported two
    >> days ago. Two whole days of this terrible security flaw doing
    >> who-knows-what to all those poor unsuspecting Linux users' systems. I
    >> really feel for the poor suckers. Maybe you and I could try to convince
    >> all of them to use Vista, eh?
    >>
    >> Anyway, I read on and when I did my concern for those Linux users
    >> quickly abated. Apparently a workaround fix for the flaw was released
    >> and is now available in their repository thingies, whatever *they*
    >> are. I bet that'll cost them all big bucks, but at least their systems
    >> will have one less hole in them, and you and I can sleep soundly in our
    >> beds because our concern for those fools who use Linux won't give us
    >> insomnia and stuff.
    >>
    >> You're such a lovely guy, showing so much empathy for others, and I
    >> don't care what anyone says about you, to me you're an all-round king
    >> among men.
    >>
    >> Anyway it's getting late and I'm pretty sleepy now (I willfind it easy
    >> to sleep as I don't have to worry about Linux users,the poor dopes).
    >>
    >> Nighty-night, DUH-ane. Sleep well.
    >>
    >> The star around which your planet revolves.
    >>
    >> Aardvark.
    >>
    >> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    >>
    >> BTW I've noticed the symptoms of your neurosis/psychosis haven't been
    >> so evident the last day or so. Have you finally taken my advice and
    >> pushed your psychiatrist to put you on a different regime of pills?

    > Perhaps Duh-Inane should worry more about his wunnerful
    > Fista...errr..Vista:
    >
    > "A poll of delegates at one of the world's biggest security conferences
    > revealed that vendors and researchers are deeply troubled by Vista's
    > inability to combat malware threats.
    >
    > A whopping 97% of those polled by software company PC Tools said they
    > believe that Vista will have problems with security for years and not
    > combat the vast number of threats currently targeting the system."
    >
    > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/6627/survey-windows-vista-
    > security-issues.phtml

    Yeah, but if Vista is anything like Linux, then a workaround and a fix for
    these security flaws will be issued from its suppository thingies the same
    day they're reported.

    So it's all good.

    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2009
  4. On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:18:15 +0000, above the shrieking, whining & FUDding
    of the trolls Aardvark was heard to say:

    > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 07:45:34 -0500, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:34:48 +0000, above the shrieking, whining &
    >> FUDding of the trolls Aardvark was heard to say:

    >>> bypass-selinux-other-protection>
    >>>
    >>> Hiya DUH-ane, my little pal.
    >>>
    >>> Well, I saw your link there and thought I'd go and take a look-see at
    >>> what defines a Swiss cheese OS and it looks pretty good.
    >>>
    >>> I saw only one security alert regarding Linux, so because I'd been
    >>> sent there by you, my furry little friend, I decided to click the
    >>> link.
    >>>
    >>> Wow! I thought, a criticality factor of TWO out of FIVE! I'm not very
    >>> techy, but that sounds like a lot. What's more, it was reported two
    >>> days ago. Two whole days of this terrible security flaw doing
    >>> who-knows-what to all those poor unsuspecting Linux users' systems. I
    >>> really feel for the poor suckers. Maybe you and I could try to
    >>> convince all of them to use Vista, eh?
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I read on and when I did my concern for those Linux users
    >>> quickly abated. Apparently a workaround fix for the flaw was released
    >>> and is now available in their repository thingies, whatever *they*
    >>> are. I bet that'll cost them all big bucks, but at least their systems
    >>> will have one less hole in them, and you and I can sleep soundly in
    >>> our beds because our concern for those fools who use Linux won't give
    >>> us insomnia and stuff.
    >>>
    >>> You're such a lovely guy, showing so much empathy for others, and I
    >>> don't care what anyone says about you, to me you're an all-round king
    >>> among men.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway it's getting late and I'm pretty sleepy now (I willfind it easy
    >>> to sleep as I don't have to worry about Linux users,the poor dopes).
    >>>
    >>> Nighty-night, DUH-ane. Sleep well.
    >>>
    >>> The star around which your planet revolves.
    >>>
    >>> Aardvark.
    >>>
    >>> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    >>>
    >>> BTW I've noticed the symptoms of your neurosis/psychosis haven't been
    >>> so evident the last day or so. Have you finally taken my advice and
    >>> pushed your psychiatrist to put you on a different regime of pills?

    >> Perhaps Duh-Inane should worry more about his wunnerful
    >> Fista...errr..Vista:
    >>
    >> "A poll of delegates at one of the world's biggest security conferences
    >> revealed that vendors and researchers are deeply troubled by Vista's
    >> inability to combat malware threats.
    >>
    >> A whopping 97% of those polled by software company PC Tools said they
    >> believe that Vista will have problems with security for years and not
    >> combat the vast number of threats currently targeting the system."
    >>
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/6627/survey-windows-vista-
    >> security-issues.phtml

    > Yeah, but if Vista is anything like Linux, then a workaround and a fix
    > for these security flaws will be issued from its suppository thingies
    > the same day they're reported.
    >
    > So it's all good.

    M$ has suppository thingies? Ah, I suppose that's is what's meant when
    someone asks M$ for a Windows bugfix, & gets the reply "Shove it up your
    ass! Wait till Patch Tuesday, like everyone else"

    William Poaster, Jul 19, 2009
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:37:38 -0500, William Poaster wrote:

    >> Yeah, but if Vista is anything like Linux, then a workaround and a fix
    >> for these security flaws will be issued from its suppository thingies
    >> the same day they're reported.
    >>
    >> So it's all good.

    > M$ has suppository thingies? Ah, I suppose that's is what's meant when
    > someone asks M$ for a Windows bugfix, & gets the reply "Shove it up your
    > ass! Wait till Patch Tuesday, like everyone else"

    So, let me get this straight. The community who create and maintain this
    Vista OS (I've never seen it, so I don't know much about it, and anyway
    I'm not very techy) don't work hard when some security flaw is discovered
    to ensure patches, workarounds and repairs to the kernel are issued post
    haste? How strange. What do these people do all day?

    DUH-ane used lots of technical words telling me what he does for a living
    in a post to me recently that seems to mean he knows lots and lots about
    Vista. You'd be surprised how much that impressed me. Perhaps he could
    help to fix Vista if we asked him nicely.

    If anyone could fix it, DUH-ane could.

    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2009
  6. On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:57:23 +0000, above the shrieking, whining & FUDding
    of the trolls Aardvark was heard to say:

    > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:37:38 -0500, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >>> Yeah, but if Vista is anything like Linux, then a workaround and a fix
    >>> for these security flaws will be issued from its suppository thingies
    >>> the same day they're reported.
    >>>
    >>> So it's all good.

    >> M$ has suppository thingies? Ah, I suppose that's is what's meant when
    >> someone asks M$ for a Windows bugfix, & gets the reply "Shove it up
    >> your ass! Wait till Patch Tuesday, like everyone else"

    > So, let me get this straight. The community who create and maintain this
    > Vista OS (I've never seen it, so I don't know much about it, and anyway
    > I'm not very techy) don't work hard when some security flaw is
    > discovered to ensure patches, workarounds and repairs to the kernel are
    > issued post haste? How strange. What do these people do all day?

    Troll usenet?

    > DUH-ane used lots of technical words telling me what he does for a
    > living in a post to me recently that seems to mean he knows lots and
    > lots about Vista. You'd be surprised how much that impressed me. Perhaps
    > he could help to fix Vista if we asked him nicely.
    >
    > If anyone could fix it, DUH-ane could.

    Ya think? IMO Duh-Inane makes about as much sense as a Japanese VCR
    instruction manual. Maybe he writes those too...

    Doh! There, I did it again.

    ( /me makes note: allow for the Duh-Inane tard's social ineptness etc )

    Doh! I referred to said troll as a tard. Sorry, Aardvark!

    William Poaster, Jul 19, 2009
  7. Re: Say it's not so about fabulous Linux. There are a lot more undiscoveredholes in that Swiss cheese O/S.

    Aardvark Sucubus Hunter <> pinched out a
    steaming pile of<>:

    REDACTED

    Say what?

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 19, 2009
  8. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:15:28 -0500, William Poaster wrote:

    >> So, let me get this straight. The community who create and maintain
    >> this Vista OS (I've never seen it, so I don't know much about it, and
    >> anyway I'm not very techy) don't work hard when some security flaw is
    >> discovered to ensure patches, workarounds and repairs to the kernel are
    >> issued post haste? How strange. What do these people do all day?

    > Troll usenet?

    Oh, come on! You don't *really* believe that, do you?

    >> DUH-ane used lots of technical words telling me what he does for a
    >> living in a post to me recently that seems to mean he knows lots and
    >> lots about Vista. You'd be surprised how much that impressed me.
    >> Perhaps he could help to fix Vista if we asked him nicely.
    >>
    >> If anyone could fix it, DUH-ane could.

    > Ya think? IMO Duh-Inane makes about as much sense as a Japanese VCR
    > instruction manual. Maybe he writes those too...

    I think DUH-ane could turn his hand to just about anything that requires a
    facility with words. And humour, and wit.

    > Doh! There, I did it again.
    >
    > ( /me makes note: allow for the Duh-Inane tard's social ineptness etc )

    Keep that in mind. DUH-ane's psyche is very fragile. He's such an
    emotionally frail little chap.

    > Doh! I referred to said troll as a tard. Sorry, Aardvark!

    I forgive you, and I think I can speak for DUH-ane in this case and tell
    you that he does the same. For a little bloke, he has such a big heart.

    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2009