    Kathy, Go to the web site of the scanner's manufacturer, and look for a
    new driver. In my case, I had on old scanner, that worked well, and I
    used the NT driver for Win2k and it worked fine.
    David Hough, Dec 17, 2003

  2. David Hough

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi Kathy,

    I wouldn't lose any sleep over M$N stopping support for the OS', they
    stopped support for ME about a month after it was fully released...

    You can usually get the 'old' updates from another site off of msn, and to
    be honest, 98 with all the updates is still a pretty good system. Heck,
    look hard enough, I'm sure you can still get files for windows 3.1 (3.11)
    and dos 6.22. It's just a matter of what you wish to use on the machines
    around you. For the record, where I work, we still use systems on NT 3.51
    (robotics), various versions of dos, etc... it's just really what os works
    with what you got.

    I'm sure a big part of it has to do with the recent release of the new 64
    bit processors. M$N has been doling a lot of time to the new xp for these
    processors, and their new OS (longhorn), which isn't to be released now
    until 2006. If you really feel that attached to the scanner, keep it. Just
    update the system when the scanner dies, or save your money for that next
    system you need ;-)

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 18, 2003

  3. David Hough

    RussS Guest

    hahahaha - damn Kathy, your outlaws are worse than mine ;-)

    BTW - what model is the scanner?
    RussS, Dec 18, 2003
  4. David Hough

    hootnholler Guest

    <snip>
    > machine! *LOL* what a hoot!

    You rang? ;-)

    Kathy, on the hard drive issue, get a copy of knoppix linux or the eval
    version of suse, that'll fix 'em! Fits on a cd, boots right up, voila!
    Instant os. Also heard of one that fits on a floppy, in case they removed
    the cd rom drive, too.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 19, 2003
  5. David Hough

    Geoff Guest

    Kathy wrote:
    > Hoot,
    >
    > I can't do that.... I thought of it even though I don't know a heck of
    > a lot about Linux.... the brother-in-law specifically said that he
    > wanted Word and OE on the computer. Now he says he wants the Internet
    > as well, but needs to get the cheapest ISP possible.... Believe me,
    > these people are VERY cheap! He could have went to Wally World and
    > bought a cheap one for $500, but NO! he has to get a free machine that
    > a company was going to throw out!
    >
    > Kathy

    stuff him then
    nothing worse than cheapo poeple
    lucky my family isn't that bad
    my unclle went out and bought a pc, without consulting me
    arrrhhh i hate it when they do that, lucky he didn't get ripped off (much)
    if anyone brings me that sort of rubbish i tell them to go away and come
    back when they have some hardware i can work with, not something i have to
    wind up to make work
    Geoff, Dec 19, 2003