Re: SATA what?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alien Zord, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Alien Zord

    Alien Zord Guest

    "fred do" <> wrote in message
    > OK, instead of purchasing a SCSI hd I've decided to go ahead and get:
    > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 80GB SATA150
    > (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=259XWS)
    >
    > 1) Instead of purchasing a seperate PCI card for it, would it work

    exactly
    > the same if I bought a mobo with RAID built-in like this one:
    > Gigabyte SoA VIA KT400A ATX A L R

    (http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VAXP-A Ultr
    a.ht
    > m)
    >
    > 2) What about the power cable? Can I use the same one as I use for

    UDMA
    > ATA/133 IDE hard drives?
    >
    > 3) Can I set the SATA150 hard drive as C: drive and connect 2 other

    120GB
    > UDMA ATA/133 hard drives to the said mobo and have them act as D: and

    E:
    > drives respectively in Windows XP?
    >
    > 4) According to the spec of the said mobo, there are "3 x cooling fan

    pin
    > header". Does that mean I can connect 3 CoolerMaster Quiet 8cm Case

    Fans?

    1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better
    http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400 Pro.htm
    amazing sound processor with equally amazing sound control panel, Dolby
    processor, SPDIF in and out (for the "in" function you have to make the
    connector yourself), separate connectors for analogue surround and
    centre/sub speakers, optical and coaxial SPDIF out. Requires 5.1 speaker
    system though. Just built a few customer systems around it and I was
    impressed.
    2) No, a power adapter cable is required.
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

    Alien Zord, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Alien Zord

    fred do Guest

    fred do, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Alien Zord

    Alien Zord Guest

    "fred do" <> wrote in message
    > "Alien Zord" <> wrote in message
    > > 1) Yes but why that one? This one's much better

    http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400 Pro.htm

    > Will that fit into this case
    > http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=01082
    >
    > > 2) No, a power adapter cable is required.

    > Where do I get that from?

    It certainly will fit into that case! Too big, I prefer elegant "just
    big enough" cases like the ones in here (and no doors, they are a pain):
    http://www.cjcomputers.co.uk/

    The power adaptors are available from Gigabyte distributors so just tell
    your favourite retailer that Ideal Hardware have got them.

    Alien Zord, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    "Alien Zord" <> wrote in message

    Just wanted to piggyback on this one ...

    > > 4) According to the spec of the said mobo, there are "3 x cooling fan

    > pin
    > > header". Does that mean I can connect 3 CoolerMaster Quiet 8cm Case

    > Fans?
    > >

    > 4) Yes

    Actually, 4 is normally "no", unless you use a 4-wire kit for the
    CPU fan. That's one of the headers, anyway.

    Unless you're going to use software speed control, or want to
    monitor the fan RPMs, there's no need to use an on-board fan header for a
    case fan, IMO.

    (Of course, I !LIKE! to be able to monitor fan speeds ... but that's
    a different subject.)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 25, 2003
  5. Alien Zord

    fred do Guest

    OK, am I the only person who can't find the damn technical or installation
    manual for the Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA150?
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp

    http://www.wdc.com/en/library/ has no link to their Serial ATA hard drives,
    or am I looking in the wrong place?

    I just want to find out whether it has a legacy power connector! :(

    fred do, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Alien Zord

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > "Alien Zord" <> wrote in message
    > > 4) Yes

    > Actually, 4 is normally "no", unless you use a 4-wire kit for

    the
    > CPU fan. That's one of the headers, anyway.

    Hehe, nitpicking. For a split of a second I forgot that the total count
    includes the CPU fan header.

    Alien Zord, Jun 25, 2003