    sata hdd's

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    Dave, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Dave

    Stevo Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > does anyone know if the 4 pin power connectors used for ide are the
    > same for sata hdd's

    Yes and no..

    There are some SATA drives that have the standard IDE style 4 pin Molex
    connector but most don't, and as more are produced the new style will become
    the norm. There are adapter cables available and power supplies are starting
    to come with SATA power connectors..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Dave

    Stevo Guest

    Stevo, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Dave

    gonads Guest

    Thanks for the info, looks like I gotta search for some adapters, do you
    have the correct terminology for these adapters so that I can search dabs
    for them
    Dave

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/serial_ata_white_papers.pdf

    gonads, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Dave

    Stevo Guest

    gonads wrote:
    > Thanks for the info, looks like I gotta search for some adapters, do
    > you
    > have the correct terminology for these adapters so that I can search
    > dabs
    > for them
    > Dave
    >

    > "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>> does anyone know if the 4 pin power connectors used for ide are the
    >>> same for sata hdd's

    >> There is some info here..

    http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/serial_ata_white_papers.pdf

    >> --
    >> Stevo
    >> (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    I'd start with SATA Power adapters (or adaptors)...

    Stevo, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:58:27 GMT, Dave wrote:

    >does anyone know if the 4 pin power connectors used for ide are the same for
    >sata hdd's

    No need to start a new thread.

    Yes/No. Some are both , some may not be.

    I have a couple of these Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB SATA/150 , Model
    6Y080M0. These have the AMP 5.25" style power connector (what they now
    call a 4 pin lecacy power) and a 15 pin SATA power.

    What you need to do is pick whatever shop / online retailer you want to
    use. Find out what models of drive they have, visit the makers site and
    read the datasheets.

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    thanks, found loads of links for em, but just one more question, I have the
    asus intel P4PE board which obviously has the sata option, and I have
    installed all the mobo software including the promise fasttrack 376 driver,
    but cant seem to find any software related to sata controller, looking
    through my device manager listings under the heading IDE ATA/ATAPI
    controllers I have Intel(R) 82801DB ultra ATA storage controller - 24CB
    which I dont think is sata, do I have to buy any other hardware like a
    controller card
    Dave

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    Dave, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:10:39 +0100, Dave wrote:

    >thanks, found loads of links for em, but just one more question, I have the
    >asus intel P4PE board which obviously has the sata option, and I have

    It helps to give a bit more info, not everybody has the same mobo.

    Is it this one, found it by using www.google.com

    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4pe/overview.htm

    If so read the specs carefully -

    Flexible Serial ATA (optional)
    Promise controller supports one ATA133 port and two Serial ATA ports
    2 x Serial ATA cable (on Serial ATA model only)

    Do you have SATA connectors / cables? Check the board manual, for the
    connector layout.

    Do you have an option in the BIOS setting to RAID/Enable a SATA
    controller.

    >installed all the mobo software including the promise fasttrack 376 driver,
    >but cant seem to find any software related to sata controller, looking

    The device (SATA) may be identified by Silicon Image or a Promise
    PDC20376 controller.

    >through my device manager listings under the heading IDE ATA/ATAPI
    >controllers I have Intel(R) 82801DB ultra ATA storage controller - 24CB
    >which I dont think is sata, do I have to buy any other hardware like a
    >controller card

    If you don't have the SATA mobo yes, you need a controller.

    See,
    Maxtor site www.maxtor.com / accessories / sata.
    and
    Adaptec www.adaptec.com

    with RAID, Adaptec SATA Controller 1210SA (PCI, SATA, RAID)
    there is also a cheaper non RAID version
    Adaptec Serial ATA Host Controller 1205SA

    >Dave

    Dave this is turning into a bit of an epic, did you look up any of the
    info for yourself?

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003
  9. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:10:39 +0100, Dave wrote:

    <snip>

    >controllers I have Intel(R) 82801DB ultra ATA storage controller - 24CB
    >which I dont think is sata, do I have to buy any other hardware like a
    >controller card
    >Dave

    As your posting from NTL, try the Adaptec UK site for an adaptor.
    http://www.adaptec-uk.com/

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Dave