Re: Samsung 2494SW

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Feb 25, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Devil's_Advocate wrote:

    > I googled: buy.com scams
    > and they apparently set people up for recurring charges on their charge
    > cards that couldnt be stopped. Swell huh?

    That's why you don't use your real credit card number when making online
    transactions. Some credit card companies have an option to generate
    temporary credit card numbers. Any charges to the temp numbers go against
    your real account but you get to control the temp numbers regarding how much
    maximum can be charged and for how long that temp number is valid. For each
    transaction, you create a new temp credit card number (which includes the
    3-digit CVV number), what is the maximum that can be charged, and when it
    expires. Say you buy something line for $30 and $8 shipping. Create a temp
    credit card number for $40 (I usually make it for a couple dollars over the
    computed total) with an expiration of 2 months. They cannot ever charge you
    more than $40 nor can anyone else that steals that number.

    If the company you are dealing with charged $38 then only a further $2 could
    be charged if that number got stolen, like some disgruntled employee
    stealing the company's customer database. You can even kill that temp
    number after the other party has made their charge (so they and no one else
    could issue any further charges).

    If it a recurring charge that you want to allow, you can decide when to add
    more funds to that temp number. Say you subscribe to an annual service that
    charges $25. You create a temp number with a long expiration date (which
    can also be extended later) that allows $30 max. Then before the recurring
    charge is scheduled, you can decide if you extend the expiration, if needed,
    and if to add more funds to that temp number to cover the next charge. Tis
    easy enough to not add more funds or kill the temp number if you decide that
    you don't want to allow the recurring charge. That is, you tell them that
    you won't be renewing but to ensure they don't "accidentally" charge you can
    easily be avoided by destroying the temp number that they have for you.

    If you start a transaction but decide to back out (and are allowed to do so
    legally) and if the other party hasn't issued a charge against your temp
    credit card number that you gave them, you could just kill that temp card
    (to make it impossible for them to issue the charge) or change the max
    allowed (if you believe the lesser amount is to what you agreed). You get
    control of what can be charged, when, how much maximum, for how long, or if
    you yank away the ability to issue a charge if your credit card provider
    gives you a "shopsafe" option of generating temporary numbers that you can
    create whenever you need them, modify however you want, or even delete them.

    If your credit card provider doesn't have a "shopsafe" option, you can do
    something similar with 2 bank accounts where the ATM card for them is also a
    VISA card. Whenever anyone asks if you are using a debit or charge card,
    and when using your ATM/Visa card, just tell them it's a Visa card because
    it gets handled the same way; however, instead of a line of credit to back
    up the charge, you are using your real funds to back up your charges. You
    have a primary bank account and an alternate bank account. It's handy if
    both permit you to manage them online. You use your alternate bank account
    and its Visa number for your online transactions. You figure out how much
    the total cost will be (merchandise, fees, shipping, etc) and go online to
    your banks to transfer that amount, or a little more, from your primary bank
    account to your alternate bank account. Then you give the Visa number to
    the other party for your alternate bank account. They never get to touch
    your primary bank account, and you get to control how much exposure you have
    by how much you transfer into your alterante bank account. You are creating
    a buffer account that gets exposed to the other party but keeping your real
    account hidden from them. By not having any more funds in your alternate
    account than to satisfy current transactions, there won't be enough for
    anyone to make a recurring charge sometime later. They aren't allowed to
    extract a partial payment. They get the amount that they submit or nothing.
    Because you don't want to leave anything much in the alternate or buffer
    bank account, make sure to get a totally free checking account (no monthly
    fees, no monthly/daily minimum balance). Some banks are dropping this type
    of account in these hard times. You don't want to keep a minimum balance in
    the account against which someone could submit a charge, nor do you want to
    whittle away whatever is left in the account to keep it active by monthly
    fees.
    VanguardLH, Feb 25, 2010