Re: Sam's Club, Costco, etc. 1 hour digital photo printing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Seaman, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. David Seaman

    David Seaman Guest

    "Rolando" <> wrote in message news:<lewLa.155$>...
    > Will either one of these places or anyone else, print digital pictures with
    > one hour service?

    I spoke to a woman at Ritz Camera yesterday and asked if I could see
    some sample digital prints. They looked really superb, she said that
    their system just sends the info back to the *actual* printer used for
    their film 4x6" prints. As with anything, it's probably only available
    in "select" stores, but worth a shot if you're looking for real
    quality. I think she said they were about $0.39 each.

    Also, if you don't need your prints to be one-hour, I'd recommend the
    major online photo finishing services instead. I usually get better
    results (and prices) using their photo upload and print services than
    I do with the local camera shops. I posted a bunch of reviews of these
    services designed just for this newsgroup to
    http://shutterline.com/reviews1.html and I regularly update it with
    comments from users on new online photo print services.

    I hope that helps,

    David, Co-Founder
    http://www.shutterline.com

    David Seaman, Jul 17, 2003

  2. David Seaman

    FredBillie Guest

    >> Will either one of these places or anyone else, print digital pictures

    >with
    >> one hour service?

    >I spoke to a woman at Ritz Camera yesterday and asked if I could see
    >some sample digital prints. They looked really superb, she said that
    >their system just sends the info back to the *actual* printer used for
    >their film 4x6" prints. As with anything, it's probably only available
    >in "select" stores, but worth a shot if you're looking for real
    >quality. I think she said they were about $0.39 each.
    >
    >Also, if you don't need your prints to be one-hour, I'd recommend the
    >major online photo finishing services instead. I usually get better
    >results (and prices) using their photo upload and print services than
    >I do with the local camera shops. I posted a bunch of reviews of these
    >services designed just for this newsgroup to
    >http://shutterline.com/reviews1.html and I regularly update it with
    >comments from users on new online photo print services.
    >
    >I hope that helps,
    >
    >David, Co-Founder
    >http://www.shutterline.com

    At twice the price of the 20 cent prints at Sam’s, I think I will pass on
    that, thank you very much. I got about 160 prints done at Sam’s and they came
    out great. Would, however, preferred glossy paper to the matte paper they use.

    FredBillie, Jul 17, 2003

  3. (David Seaman) writes:

    > "Rolando" <> wrote in message
    > > Will either one of these places or anyone else, print digital pictures with
    > > one hour service?

    > I spoke to a woman at Ritz Camera yesterday and asked if I could see
    > some sample digital prints. They looked really superb, she said that
    > their system just sends the info back to the *actual* printer used for
    > their film 4x6" prints. As with anything, it's probably only available
    > in "select" stores, but worth a shot if you're looking for real
    > quality. I think she said they were about $0.39 each.

    Most Ritz stores use the Fuji Frontier minilab for printing both film and
    digital images. For that matter, so do many of the other places like Walmart,
    Target, Costco, etc. (note, I have run into some Walmarts that hadn't upgraded
    to the Fuji minilab when I went there). As I understand they basically use a
    scanner to convert the negatives into digital images. A lot of the quality
    issue comes down to how well maintained the local store keeps the machine, and
    what type of paper they use. The last time I was in Ritz, the price was
    $0.49/picture.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: