Re: Saitek keyboard/mouse incompatibility

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Jul 20, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >My wife has vision problems, so I did some trading around and got her a
    >Saitek backlit keyboard, which she really likes. I also replaced her
    >Compaq Walmart piece of shit comuter with a real one that I built, dual
    >core Athlon processor, 2 gigs RAM, lots of extras. But I can't get a
    >mouse to work with this keyboard plugged in. I've tried several mice,
    >PS2 and USB. The keyboard works fine, but no mousy. Right now she's
    >happily playing on Pogo with a different KB and mouse, but I'd like to
    >get the Saitek back into action with a good mouse.
    >
    >I've poked around in the BIOS to see if there's some setting I've
    >missed, can't find anything. Getting frustrated, suggestions?

    I spent the better part of Thursday fixing the same problem with
    different hardware. And now I get to post about it!! :)

    I have a G15 Logitech USB keyboard (Gaming KB, Backlit, lots of macro
    keys, and an LCD screen) The Q,A,Z keys quit - took it apart cleaned
    the traces, everything looked good put it back together and the Q,A,Z
    keys wouldn't work.... Now I use a different keyboard.

    I did a repair install of my XPro, (Gifs, I host them, post a link to
    a webpage, they won't work (animate), but will on XPhome - be it Opera
    or FF).

    After the repair install my G5 Logitech (Gaming mouse) wouldn't work,
    it (the arrow) just sat dead center of the screen.

    Kept the G5 plugged into it's USB port and used a PS/2 mouse to work
    with (I still have drivers installed for a basic mouse).

    One installation of the G15 keyboard was still in the add and remove,
    so still had drivers installed. I could plug The G15 Keyboard in and
    everything would work except of course those three keys. - I
    uninstalled it.

    But I just couldn't get Setpoint (my G5 mouse config program) to
    install (two versions, one I started with and a new upgrade). they
    would get almost all the way done.

    Then say there was a problem and the program couldn't be installed,
    then erase everything it had installed (it was important for me to get
    KHALMNPR.EXE installed and loaded on startup- I thought- It's the
    Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer for the mouse. Did get the G5 to
    move, and working, but it was just a basic mouse.

    Logitech support says there were problems with their keyboard and
    mouse installations - one won't let the other install (so it appears
    to be common problem).

    I could go on and on, I mean it took me most of a day to get my mouse
    software to work, and the fix was on a page explaining how to
    uninstall Setpoint, I know how to uninstall stuff and saw this as a
    Noobs page, so I scrolled down quickly saw nothing new. then try
    something else.

    Much later...

    Ended back at the how to uninstall setpoint webpage again, and at the
    very bottom it said if it still won't install, rename wdf01000.sys to
    wdf01000.bak
    X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys to
    X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.bak

    I did and setpoint installed like nothing was wrong, blew most of a
    day because I didn't fully read the first trouble shooting webpage I
    came to...

    Installed the G15 Keyboard software, as well - I like using the LCD
    screen for game chats. Yes, two keyboards, but it's rare.

    Keyboard and mouse now work together as they had been before the
    repair install.

    I know it was a long explanation, but that was most of my Thursday :)

    Bottom line I guess would be if you have a wdf01000.sys file, you
    might try changing the extension to something else.

    --

    Dear Mom
    http://www.foundmagazine.com/find/12030

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Bottom line I guess would be if you have a wdf01000.sys file, you
    >might try changing the extension to something else.

    Forgot to mention that If you rename wdf01000.sys to wdf01000.bak (or
    delete it for that matter) - wdf01000.sys will recreate itself.

    Apparently it rebuilds itself as the hardware requires to operate.

    I extracted the text from wdf01000.sys, logitech, nor any company, or
    devices are mentioned, only that it's property of MS.
    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RodneyDangerfieldGravestoneJuly2007.jpg
    , Jul 20, 2009

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    Darn early for me to be posting.

    >Forgot to mention that If you rename wdf01000.sys to wdf01000.bak (or
    >delete it for that matter) - wdf01000.sys will recreate itself.

    This is correct yet the .sys file doesn't recreate itself, it
    reinstalls itself.

    >Apparently it rebuilds itself as the hardware requires to operate.

    This above is all wrong each wdf01000.sys file deleted or installed
    has a date of 11/2/2006 7.22a.m.

    My bad, talk about posting totally wrong info. After the post and an
    appointment it hit me that this couldn't be right. I had to post a
    retraction.

    >I extracted the text from wdf01000.sys, logitech, nor any company, or
    >devices are mentioned, only that it's property of MS.

    This is true, but the wdf01000.sys file does seem to be for logitech
    devices.

    Hope you get your setup working.

    --

    Another 40th anniversary: WoodStock
    undercover lovers http://tinyurl.com/lmglgp
  4. chuckcar Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >> Ended back at the how to uninstall setpoint webpage again, and at the
    >> very bottom it said if it still won't install, rename wdf01000.sys to
    >> wdf01000.bak
    >> X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys to
    >> X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.bak
    >>
    >> I did and setpoint installed like nothing was wrong, blew most of a
    >> day because I didn't fully read the first trouble shooting webpage I
    >> came to...
    >>
    >> Installed the G15 Keyboard software, as well - I like using the LCD
    >> screen for game chats. Yes, two keyboards, but it's rare.
    >>
    >> Keyboard and mouse now work together as they had been before the
    >> repair install.
    >>
    >> I know it was a long explanation, but that was most of my Thursday :)
    >>
    >> Bottom line I guess would be if you have a wdf01000.sys file, you
    >> might try changing the extension to something else.

    > Whew! But I'll take a look when I'm fully awake again. Thanks.

    Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the mouse -
    giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a circle
    as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 21, 2009
  5. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the mouse -
    >giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a circle
    >as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

    You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
    problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
    the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.

    Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.
    --

    http://imgur.com/FknMU.jpg
    , Jul 24, 2009
  6. pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the

    mouse -
    >>giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a

    circle
    >>as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

    >You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
    >problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
    >the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
    >
    >Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

    What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?

    TIA

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 24, 2009
  7. Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
    >>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
    >>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
    >>
    >>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

    >What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?
    >
    >TIA

    <Grin> the run command.

    Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    MAIN.CPL
    <enter>

    --

    Handyman
    http://thereifixedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/yoshi-keys.jpg
  8. chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<>:
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the

    > mouse -
    >>>giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a

    > circle
    >>>as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

    >>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
    >>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
    >>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
    >>
    >>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

    Well, that would only show you if the the mouse itself was working.
    Nothing else. A bit limiting.

    > What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?

    Rundll32.exe. All the icons in control panel (along with a few others) are
    cpl files.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 25, 2009
  9. pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
    >>>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
    >>>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
    >>>
    >>>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

    >>What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?
    >>
    >>TIA

    ><Grin> the run command.
    >
    >Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    >MAIN.CPL
    ><enter>

    Must be an NT based program? I get an error message asking for a
    program to associate the file with.

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 25, 2009
  10. chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<>:

    >>>What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >><Grin> the run command.
    >>
    >>Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    >>MAIN.CPL
    >><enter>
    >>

    > Must be an NT based program? I get an error message asking for a
    > program to associate the file with.

    Rundll32.exe - found in the windows directory. That's the program that
    launches executables, so the difference is minimal really.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 26, 2009
  11. chuckcar <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<Xns9C53C4211C791chucknilcar@127.0.0.1>:

    >§ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> pinched out a steaming pile
    >> of<>:

    my

    what

    >>><Grin> the run command.
    >>>
    >>>Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    >>>MAIN.CPL
    >>><enter>
    >>>

    >> Must be an NT based program? I get an error message asking for a
    >> program to associate the file with.
    >>

    >Rundll32.exe - found in the windows directory. That's the program that
    >launches executables, so the difference is minimal really.

    huh...I went into My computer, Veiw, and looked at the file association
    for .CPL files and its rundll32 already.
    Still get the error message telling me to create an associaton.
    weird.

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 26, 2009
  12. Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >huh...I went into My computer, Veiw, and looked at the file association
    >for .CPL files and its rundll32 already.
    >Still get the error message telling me to create an associaton.
    >weird.

    CPL stands for Control Panel extension (just learned that myself),
    thought it was Control PaneL.

    In process explorer you would have a path like:
    "E:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe"
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL SYSDM.CPL,System
    (all one line)

    You only need to run the .CPL file, the rest just falls into place.

    Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    SYSDM.CPL
    <enter>

    I've never had a problem running them and they are a lot easier to
    post, than: go here > do this > unless > then>

    FWIW run: cmd /k assoc .cpl | and you get .cpl=cplfile :)

    --

    warning
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3434/3738626741c9907286d7o.jpg
  13. pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>huh...I went into My computer, Veiw, and looked at the file

    association
    >>for .CPL files and its rundll32 already.
    >>Still get the error message telling me to create an associaton.
    >>weird.

    >CPL stands for Control Panel extension (just learned that myself),
    >thought it was Control PaneL.
    >
    >In process explorer you would have a path like:
    >"E:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe"
    >E:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL SYSDM.CPL,System
    >(all one line)
    >
    >You only need to run the .CPL file, the rest just falls into place.
    >
    >Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
    >SYSDM.CPL
    ><enter>
    >
    >I've never had a problem running them and they are a lot easier to
    >post, than: go here > do this > unless > then>
    >
    >FWIW run: cmd /k assoc .cpl | and you get .cpl=cplfile :)

    YEah i did some reading on it and it suggested it controls the mouse or
    keyboard.

    It dosent do anything on my system so I'll worry about it later.

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 28, 2009
  14. Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >YEah i did some reading on it and it suggested it controls the mouse or
    >keyboard.
    >
    >It dosent do anything on my system so I'll worry about it later.

    Main.cpl: open the Control Panel > click on Mouse (That opens
    Main.cpl)

    Process or Explorer:
    "E:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe"
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    "E:\WINDOWS\system32\main.cpl",Mouse

    Sorry to of taken so long to mention that it's used to adjust the
    mouse controls - it also, shows hardware (did it install) and the
    Setpoint Settings (Did the software install, including the G5 control
    panel)
    --

    Gravity Sucks
    http://www.yadogg.com/ups/cantendwell.jpg
  15. chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<>:

    > It dosent do anything on my system so I'll worry about it later.

    It seems to me that there's a way to open it with control panel. And that
    is how it gets set up. Do you have either system.ini or win.ini disabled
    in msconfig?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 28, 2009
  16. In message <>,
    wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    > >YEah i did some reading on it and it suggested it controls the mouse or
    > >keyboard.
    > >
    > >It dosent do anything on my system so I'll worry about it later.

    > Main.cpl: open the Control Panel > click on Mouse (That opens
    > Main.cpl)

    Oh, ok. I was typing 'main.cpl' into Run and smashing enter.
    It just complained about "no program associated blah..."

    > Process or Explorer:
    > "E:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe"
    > E:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    > "E:\WINDOWS\system32\main.cpl",Mouse
    >
    > Sorry to of taken so long to mention that it's used to adjust the
    > mouse controls - it also, shows hardware (did it install) and the
    > Setpoint Settings (Did the software install, including the G5 control
    > panel)

    Not on my w98 box it dont :)

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 28, 2009
  17. In message <Xns9C56A0611B16Dchucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    > > pinched out a steaming pile
    > > of<>:

    > > It dosent do anything on my system so I'll worry about it later.
    > >

    > It seems to me that there's a way to open it with control panel. And that
    > is how it gets set up. Do you have either system.ini or win.ini disabled
    > in msconfig?

    Not that I'm aware of but I do have TweakUI installed and set to paranoid for a
    few things...maybe thats thwarting it. AS well as several other small freebie
    aps that nag me before things get installed etc.

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 28, 2009